Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ping pong thread Odd jobs and things you have done

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ping pong thread Odd jobs and things you have done

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 06:54 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
1) 6 year stint in a certain Special Ops unit, broke (gentled in my book) horses as a teenager and trained ponies for two-wheels Sulkys. Army 1SG in a place where you work a mile underground.

2) Parachuted out of a certain 3 letter agency's aircraft. A week at a road racing course doing high-speed driving, Pit moves, J-turns, and ramming through roadblocks. Saw the Tour De France....but in Germany, 1987. Trained a Tennessee Walking Horse/Shetland Pony mix that I could drive all day in the cart by verbal commands only. He'd also come when I whistled, shake hands (hoofs) with you, and run along side me for miles as I ran until I gave him the command to "Go"! Oh, and turned down a photo op with President Bush (Jr.) at the end of my career as I was working on some important things for a couple of my guys. Regret that seriously now.

3) Fighting Gobblers. Don't laugh, LOL!

Old 06-10-23, 07:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
1. Final 'career' was in Assisted Living - Administrator and corporate marketing. All the clients were vintage, most classic to boot.

2. Traveled to the beach at Palaiokastritsa, Corfu, Greece. Hooked up a 'touring' Euro/Aussie bunch of hippies. Ate fresh octopus, drank abundant wine, learned the goat dance, and some Danish words late at night ..... the rest is kinda fuzzy ....

3. Graduated H.S. ....the rest is kinda fuzzy.
3a. Here is my mascot when I Certificated from UC - Santa Cruz, Wide Area network management (early Internet vintage)

UCSC Banana Slug. - I got the t-shirt, too. I think the above mascot was the MBA program's version.

ha! I have that same sweat shirt! I get more comments about that when I wear it…..
Old 06-10-23, 02:11 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
ha! I have that same sweat shirt! I get more comments about that when I wear it…..
Grad? Certificated (like me)? Put a kid thru (Dad grad)? Local resident? Like minded? Or merely a slug fan?
Old 06-10-23, 03:29 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
1. Piledriver and piledriving estimator; Campagnolo Technical Support prior to and at 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games, later as technical representative for the western US; Materials Control Coordinator for City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works then for Los Angeles World Airports. Responsible for Quality Assurance of materials and fabricated items used in City and LAWA construction projects. Performed and directed inspection at sources and fabricators world wide.
2. Designed fishing rod blanks around 1968 - 73 for SoCal style saltwater fishing. Had TruLine make the first short (6’) rods which created a demand that led to other manufacturers offering their own.
Caught fifty-two (52) California yellowtail, total weight of 1100# (no typo), in about six hours, hooking them off the bottom in forty (40) fathoms of water off Baja California.
3. Venice High Gondoliers
Old 06-11-23, 08:41 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Grad? Certificated (like me)? Put a kid thru (Dad grad)? Local resident? Like minded? Or merely a slug fan?
none of the above. I actually found it in a thrift store in Moro Bay and just liked the banana slug , plus Santa Cruz California is such a cool town. I had a very close friend in Half Moon .
Old 06-11-23, 09:19 AM
JFHenry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Since spinal fusion and surviving cancer 3 times I have made it to National Ski Patrol Senior and Instructor and still run my carpentry business of 23 years. I’m riding a bike again and am doing bike patrol at a park.
Old 06-11-23, 10:59 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
1) 6 year stint in a certain Special Ops unit, broke (gentled in my book) horses as a teenager and trained ponies for two-wheels Sulkys. Army 1SG in a place where you work a mile underground.

2) Parachuted out of a certain 3 letter agency's aircraft. A week at a road racing course doing high-speed driving, Pit moves, J-turns, and ramming through roadblocks. Saw the Tour De France....but in Germany, 1987. Trained a Tennessee Walking Horse/Shetland Pony mix that I could drive all day in the cart by verbal commands only. He'd also come when I whistled, shake hands (hoofs) with you, and run along side me for miles as I ran until I gave him the command to "Go"! Oh, and turned down a photo op with President Bush (Jr.) at the end of my career as I was working on some important things for a couple of my guys. Regret that seriously now.

3) Fighting Gobblers. Don't laugh, LOL!

that gobbler looks tough

here is the sugarbeeter (sugabeets were a key crop, with a plant refining sugar in town. I hoed sugarbeets in my early years in high school. No longer grown in Chinook area due to freight costs.

Old 06-11-23, 03:10 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
My son lived for a time in Hesston, Kansas where the mascot was the Swathers. AGCO has a huge factory there where Gleaner combines and Hesston hay swathers are the main products.

Likes For Pompiere:
Old 06-12-23, 09:27 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
My son lived for a time in Hesston, Kansas where the mascot was the Swathers. AGCO has a huge factory there where Gleaner combines and Hesston hay swathers are the main products.

Love it a lot of these where I grew up also....lots of irrigated alfalfa hay

Old 06-12-23, 09:54 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
"swather" is a new term for me, but this area is mostly corn and beans.
Fortunately, wikipedia has the explanation.
A swather (North America), or windrower (Australia and rest of world), is a farm implement that cuts hay or small grain crops and forms them into a windrow for drying.
This area is dominated by Big Green, so haven't heard of Gleaner or Hesston. Now I'm wondering if nearby Moline, IL has a team named the Harvesters or Combines??

Steve in Peoria
Old 06-13-23, 12:05 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 132 Posts
Army service, E5, Honorable Discharge.

Rock band roadie in SF from 1968 to 2010, I have smoked a joint with Jerry Garcia, gone mountain biking with Bob Weir, and when I met Janis Joplin, she was wearing red panties and sandals.

In 1976 I put on the first mountain bike downhill race.

In 1979 my friend Gary Fisher and I rented a garage to build bicycles on frames built by Tom Ritchey. We called our company MountainBikes.

1980, published the first magazine for mountain bikers, "Fat Tire Flyer."

1981, Specialized cloned a MountainBike, and called it the "Stumpjumper."

1983, founding member of NORBA, and wrote the racing rules for mountain biking.

1990 to 2014, owned a piano moving company.

2014, wrote a book about my bicycle adventures, and retired from everything but riding my bikes.
Likes For Repack Rider:
Old 06-13-23, 12:07 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
1) Pit crew for a Formula Ford driver
2) I rescued/relocated an opossum with my Univega
3) No effing clue. I went to two different high schools, and have no recollection of either one even having a mascot
Old 06-13-23, 01:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
1)
3) Two years a Blue Devil, two years a Pioneer, three years a Bear.
You must have really liked high school!
Old 06-13-23, 01:43 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Reminds me of Bluto's line in Animal House - "Seven years of college down the drain."
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-13-23, 02:59 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Reminds me of Bluto's line in Animal House - "Seven years of college down the drain."
Hey now!
Had two different High Schools. Then three years in the local Community College.

Although I did get arrested on an Air Force Base once.
Old 06-13-23, 03:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Hey now!
Had two different High Schools. Then three years in the local Community College.

Although I did get arrested on an Air Force Base once.
Oh, do tell!
Old 06-13-23, 05:02 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
1. Baled hay, and shoveled cow poop sophomore year of HS. Next year I was stocking shelves and bagging groceries, the first time I ever got a tip. 23 years in the spray paint equipment industry, 27 years and counting in the railroad MOW equipment industry. Retired from that twice, hoping the third time is a charm.

2. Climbing over the bottom half of a Dutch door at five years old, I fell and bit through my tongue. Still have problems with some pronunciations. I sat on a pencil in music class at 10 and spent a week in hospital(There is a bad dad joke in there that my dad still tells). 2nd in the 1973 Wisconsin High School State Track Meet with the Mile Relay team; we set the school record which still stands only because the event isn't run anymore. PBP in 1991. Did a 17 hour layover at the Madrid International Airport that saved my employer $5. They never pulled that again.

3. Panthers
Old 06-13-23, 05:38 PM
FBOATSB

Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Oh, do tell!
Pretty boring, as stated up above.
Spent most of my adult life contracting at Military bases all over the Lower 48, many now closed. And this one I worked at off and on for 2.5 years in the '80s. They had pretty laid back security most of the time and then one day they didn't .

Last edited by FBOATSB; 06-14-23 at 07:35 AM.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 06-13-23, 07:20 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
1. Ranch hand/cowboy
2. hunted feral dogs killing livestock, somebody had to do it
3. School I graduated from Bulldogs . School I consider home Indians
Old 06-14-23, 12:59 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
1. Ex-pat assignment in Korea managing a company that supplied materials to the semiconductor industry. My summer job in college was on a concrete crew. This was before pumps. I was the guy who stood on the little platform & dumped the big bucket that was lifted by a crane into the one that dispensed the concrete into the wheelbarrows. None of the older guys would do it.
2. Road a bike & skied on three continents.
3. Pioneers (in Cupertino???)

Cheers,
Old 06-15-23, 07:36 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
1. Sanded cars for painting (had no fingerprints that summer). Poured tennis courts and running tracks.
2. I swear I have no recollection of that occurence.
3. Cavaliers (and had that mascot again in grad school)