Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kirk Precision Magnesium Frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 01:41 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 132 Posts

Looking thorough the Mountain Bike Legacy archives, I ran across the hype for the Kirk Precision magnesium frame bicycles. This must have looked like a good idea on paper, but you would be hard pressed to find one today. The joke at the time was that if you were lost, you could carve a few shavings off the frame and light them on fire.

Old 08-20-23, 01:50 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Very interesting thanks for sharing because I recall that Merida and Jamis also proposed in the 2000's-20104S TIG welded magnesium frames
Old 08-20-23, 02:09 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
The BB shells had a (deserved) reputation for cracking, especially (mostly?) the MTB ones.
I saw one on a boot sale table once and that was the reason it was there.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 08-20-23, 04:34 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
The BB shells had a (deserved) reputation for cracking, especially (mostly?) the MTB ones.
I saw one on a boot sale table once and that was the reason it was there.
yep, brittle.

the Porsche 917 had much magnesium and it was not publicized. Mark Donahue answered a Road & Track journalist that the Porsche CanAm chassis was made of unobtanium.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-20-23, 05:37 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 372 Posts
I just read about these guys last week:
https://www.vaastbikes.com/company/

LIGHTER, STRONGER, PROFOUNDLY BETTER—SUPER MAGNESIUM.

VAAST Bikes® are the first to use ALLITE® SUPER MAGNESIUM™. This high-strength alloy features excellent shock absorption properties, weighs 33% less than Aluminum and 50% less than Titanium by volume, and is significantly stronger than both. Through the exclusive use of this eco-friendly metal, we have achieved a ride feel like no other.
Old 08-20-23, 06:34 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Worked on one several years ago (I think it was a Kirk?), I-beam model. It was a total noodle, and I couldn't see the appeal, other than the novelty. A modern mid-range aluminum bike was just as light, and rode better.
Old 08-20-23, 08:30 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
I think the other Kirk (Dave) does way better!
Likes For eljayski:
Old 08-20-23, 10:43 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
I followed the 1990 Tour de France by backpack. I was wondering around some small town after the end of a stage (Epinal? Besançon?) and stumbled into the small parking lot of a hotel where some Japanese mechanics/engineers were working on a magnesium frame. I forget if one of the teams was trying it out but it looked like nothing I'd ever seen then or now. I don't speak Japanese, but I pointed to the frame and asked "magnesium?". They nodded and let me get a close up look. Somewhere in my files I have a photo of one of the mechanics standing with the bike.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-20-23, 11:03 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Some lower-level pro road team got sponsored by them, I forget what year. Phil Anderson was signed by them. It had been a while since he had won anything, his best years behind him, so he couldn't be too picky about what team he signed with. He posed for the team pics with the Kirk, even a pic of him biting the frame, but he never rode one in a race. They were both heavier and whippier than his steel frame, so he just rode that with the team's paint job on it, maybe Kirk decals too? It was obvious from a mile away that it wasn't a Kirk Mag though.. I was surprised they let him do that, but the bikes really were terrible.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 08-21-23, 06:40 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Some lower-level pro road team got sponsored by them, I forget what year. Phil Anderson was signed by them. It had been a while since he had won anything, his best years behind him, so he couldn't be too picky about what team he signed with. He posed for the team pics with the Kirk, even a pic of him biting the frame, but he never rode one in a race. They were both heavier and whippier than his steel frame, so he just rode that with the team's paint job on it, maybe Kirk decals too? It was obvious from a mile away that it wasn't a Kirk Mag though.. I was surprised they let him do that, but the bikes really were terrible.

Mark B
Ha ha yes I think just before seeing the bike, I bumped into Phil Anderson and his teammates hanging around the team car. I have his autograph somewhere...
Old 08-22-23, 07:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
...I recall that Merida and Jamis also proposed in the 2000's-20104S TIG welded magnesium frames
As mentioned in their marketing, the Kirk frame was die cast. Magnesium is great for die casting. Die casting is not great for bike frames. Perhaps they should have Venn diagramed that before investing the money.

There have been a couple of welded tube magnesium frames over the years. Paketa and Segal come to mind.
Old 08-22-23, 10:41 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Motorcycle frames are progressing to ever-greater use of die-casting, which lends itself equally to aluminum and to it's alu-mag alloys.

These bikes were at one time advertised by showing that the frame could be unaffected by driving a car over it!

The Geometry table suggests that perhaps only one frame size was offered, roughly a 55 or 56cm for the road version.

I have a white one in excellent condition, though it was built up with modest early-eighties components.

Old 08-22-23, 12:36 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,602 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
(...) This must have looked like a good idea on paper, but you would be hard pressed to find one today. (...)
Well, I'll admit to liking how they look in the metal as well. Here's one I came across in Italy a few years ago:

I'm glad to read they are crap and not available in my size or I'd probably be spending silly money on one of these at some point.

Old 08-22-23, 09:15 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
There is a Paketa on this big (260 people) Tandem ride.

by far the lightest tandem I’ve ever lifted.
Old 08-22-23, 09:28 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Well, I'll admit to liking how they look in the metal as well. Here's one I came across in Italy a few years ago:

I'm glad to read they are crap and not available in my size or I'd probably be spending silly money on one of these at some point.
Wow. What a waste of a C-Record group.
Old 08-23-23, 03:05 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have two Mg bikes. Carbon is easier and cheaper to make. No other frame that I have ridden deadens road buzz like Mg
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-23-23, 12:37 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
If you're going to ride Magnesium you gotta go Pinarello. 2009 - the last year of the magnesium Dogmas. They did make a few w/mag stays, too, but this was standard.

I don't have an as-built pic, but it's sporting Campy 10s Ergo Record/Chorus with Bora wheels. Not exactly C&V.
I pull it out when I'm riding some ugly hills or longer rides.
It rides nice, but mostly just laughs at me - "Is this all you've got?"
Old 08-23-23, 02:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
I think the other Kirk (Dave) does way better!
agreed

Old 08-23-23, 02:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
I just read about these guys last week:
https://www.vaastbikes.com/company/

LIGHTER, STRONGER, PROFOUNDLY BETTER—SUPER MAGNESIUM.

VAAST Bikes® are the first to use ALLITE® SUPER MAGNESIUM™. This high-strength alloy features excellent shock absorption properties, weighs 33% less than Aluminum and 50% less than Titanium by volume, and is significantly stronger than both. Through the exclusive use of this eco-friendly metal, we have achieved a ride feel like no other.
Jan Heine rides one in the latest bicycle quarterly, I haven't finished reading the article, but the bit I have read suggested he like the Vaast