Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

WARNING, scary non C+V content

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

WARNING, scary non C+V content

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 06:53 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Why is this dumas brake thingamajig video even posted here?
Because this is the place were it will get the most triggered reactions. At some point, someone must have said why do we need these Bowden cables? Rod brakes work pretty good, they are reliable and we all know how to make adjustments.

Ok, I will admit it, I am not enamored with wireless brakes either, but it is fun to tinker with bicycles.

Remember at one time Shimano came out with pneumatic powered shifters. Honda had a crazy downhill planetary gear set that was purely experimental. Someone's got to do this stuff.

Didn't someone here do a wireless Sturmey Archer shifter? It probably didn't solve any problems, but it had to be interesting to work on.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-19-23, 07:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Because this is the place were it will get the most triggered reactions. At some point, someone must have said why do we need these Bowden cables? Rod brakes work pretty good, they are reliable and we all know how to make adjustments.

Ok, I will admit it, I am not enamored with wireless brakes either, but it is fun to tinker with bicycles.

Remember at one time Shimano came out with pneumatic powered shifters. Honda had a crazy downhill planetary gear set that was purely experimental. Someone's got to do this stuff.

Didn't someone here do a wireless Sturmey Archer shifter? It probably didn't solve any problems, but it had to be interesting to work on.
Freakin Honda, they built a 125cc 6cyl prototype to sell the CBX to the brass.

They used the 24X24 calculation to prove their point, 24 hrs at 24,000rpm on the dyno without a single failure or
breaking a sweat.

Old 12-19-23, 07:36 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
The CBX wasn't a great bike, but it was awesome from a mechanic's perspective. A friend of mine ran a repair facility and he tore down the CBX engine and marveled at the precision of it all. After looking at it in it's disassembled state I was also in awe. Simply put, the coolest motorcycle ever built.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-19-23, 07:37 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I'm waiting for the model I control with brain waves before I put my money down.

72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 12-19-23, 09:31 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
“Another sign that the apocalypse is almost upon us,” paraphrasing Road and Track editors back in the 70’s.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-20-23, 01:44 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Is it April 1 already? Who thought this was a good idea, let alone necessary?
To the surprise of no one: <crickets>.