Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best improvement on Nashbar GR2 Saddle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 10:12 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Trek XM700+, Novara Zealo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've used a Nashbar GR2 saddle for a while now. For the most part I've loved it, far more than any of the other at least half dozen saddles I've tried. I loved it so much that I bought some extras a while back, knowing they must discontinue it if it's something I like. Sure enough, it's no longer sold and my last one is starting to flex too much. I do notice one problem with it, however. I've done long rides, I'm always comfortable while riding, but when I try to go to sleep that night I often notice soreness in the perineum area.

At any rate, this is an obvious Arione clone. I'm wondering if I should just buy the real Arione and see if that helps that problem? Although, I'm guessing that the pain in that spot is due to not having a cutout. I could try the Arione Vs., that seems like the most logical approach, but it doesn't get nearly as good of reviews as the Arione. I like the GR2 because it's long and somewhat flat and seems to have a nice hammock action going on. Any thoughts from people who like these type of saddles but have found something that works just a little better?

(I realize standard disclaimers apply about saddles being intensely personal and YMMV).
Old 04-19-17, 02:53 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to ride a GR2. Since then I've been pretty happy with the Brooks Cambium carved and the Specialized Power. Both are usually available for test rides at the better shops.
Old 04-19-17, 05:39 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I have a Nashbar XR1 Titanium railed saddle that is similarly shaped that I bought and doesn't suit me, LMK if you want to try it.
Old 04-19-17, 01:13 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopsis
I used to ride a GR2. Since then I've been pretty happy with the Brooks Cambium carved and the Specialized Power. Both are usually available for test rides at the better shops.
Thanks, I'll give those a look. Do you mind if I ask, if the GR2 was pretty comfortable to you? What size Cambium do you use (C17? C15)? What about the Specialized Power (143, 155)? I know, those are going to be dependent on the person, but just trying to get a sense regarding what works for someone else who used a GR2. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-17, 01:15 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
I have a Nashbar XR1 Titanium railed saddle that is similarly shaped that I bought and doesn't suit me, LMK if you want to try it.
I appreciate it, but I want to say that that mildly painful sensation was present even when the saddles were newer. I felt great during the rides, and it was subdued enough that I wouldn't notice it until I was laying quiet and still in bed ready to try to sleep. So I might see if there's something better than the GR2 (or XR1, it looks identical).
Old 04-19-17, 01:23 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I had a GR2 way back when and had the same issue. Eventually I discovered Specialized Toupe saddles and haven't looked back.

Everyone has different preferences so you may find them pure butt torture, but for me the cutout and relatively flat shape compared to something like the Romin are perfect. I would recommend finding a shop with a demo program so you can at least figure out which width and shape you prefer.
Old 04-19-17, 01:27 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ericcc65
I appreciate it, but I want to say that that mildly painful sensation was present even when the saddles were newer. I felt great during the rides, and it was subdued enough that I wouldn't notice it until I was laying quiet and still in bed ready to try to sleep. So I might see if there's something better than the GR2 (or XR1, it looks identical).
I've been through, I think, 10 at this point. I had one that was awesome when riding but caused saddle sores (also a Nashbar). Just picked up one of the Serfas Phontoms that I'm liking OK but I still think there is something better. I have no access to any type of loaner programs at a LBS so I buy to try. I also have a Terry FLX that was pretty good too but a little narrow for me, same offer if you'd want to try it. I need to post some of these in the saddle swap thread but I'm not wanting to swap them.
Old 04-19-17, 01:29 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
I've been through, I think, 10 at this point. I had one that was awesome when riding but caused saddle sores (also a Nashbar). Just picked up one of the Serfas Phontoms that I'm liking OK but I still think there is something better. I have no access to any type of loaner programs at a LBS so I buy to try. I also have a Terry FLX that was pretty good too but a little narrow for me, same offer if you'd want to try it. I need to post some of these in the saddle swap thread but I'm not wanting to swap them.
I haven't been around much lately (chronic knee problems, mildly better now). There's a saddle swap thread? I'm going to have to check that out. I bought an Antares and tried it out recently and oh my god was it an ass hatchet. I know the advice about breaking in a saddle, but I'm not sure I can take it with that one. Would be nice if I could trade it (I bought it very gently used though).
Old 04-19-17, 01:43 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I haven't been around much lately (chronic knee problems, mildly better now). There's a saddle swap thread? I'm going to have to check that out. I bought an Antares and tried it out recently and oh my god was it an ass hatchet. I know the advice about breaking in a saddle, but I'm not sure I can take it with that one. Would be nice if I could trade it (I bought it very gently used though).
I don't have any expensive saddles and that's mostly what's in that thread. I'd rather just give mine away, I can use the good karma.

Saddle swap thread
https://www.bikeforums.net/sale/164168-saddle-swap.html
Old 04-19-17, 02:53 PM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I'll give those a look. Do you mind if I ask, if the GR2 was pretty comfortable to you? What size Cambium do you use (C17? C15)? What about the Specialized Power (143, 155)? I know, those are going to be dependent on the person, but just trying to get a sense regarding what works for someone else who used a GR2. Thanks again.
I have a C17 Carved on my gravel bike. I might have been fine with the C15, but the shop only had a C17 to test and it felt so good I just went with it. Note that my fit on the gravel bike is "relaxed" with a modest saddle-to-bar drop. A more aggressive position might call for the C15.

I have the Power Pro in 143mm on the CX bike. The 155 would have definitely been too wide for me. Why the Power when I liked the Brooks? The Cambiums are actually too comfy They have a lot of flex and CX race re-mounts are easier with a very solid saddle. Plus the C17 is kinda heavy for a bike I have to throw on my shoulder and run with.

The Power is a lot different than the GR2. The very short nose means you plant yourself in the sweet spot and stay there (no riding the rivet). I thought I was going to hate it, but tried it anyway on the advice of another rider and was really surprised at how well it worked. But note that my position on the CX bike is much more aggressive than the gravel bike. If you like a little more relaxed fit, the Power may not be a great choice.
Old 04-19-17, 03:04 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopsis
I have a C17 Carved on my gravel bike. I might have been fine with the C15, but the shop only had a C17 to test and it felt so good I just went with it. Note that my fit on the gravel bike is "relaxed" with a modest saddle-to-bar drop. A more aggressive position might call for the C15.

I have the Power Pro in 143mm on the CX bike. The 155 would have definitely been too wide for me. Why the Power when I liked the Brooks? The Cambiums are actually too comfy They have a lot of flex and CX race re-mounts are easier with a very solid saddle. Plus the C17 is kinda heavy for a bike I have to throw on my shoulder and run with.

The Power is a lot different than the GR2. The very short nose means you plant yourself in the sweet spot and stay there (no riding the rivet). I thought I was going to hate it, but tried it anyway on the advice of another rider and was really surprised at how well it worked. But note that my position on the CX bike is much more aggressive than the gravel bike. If you like a little more relaxed fit, the Power may not be a great choice.
That's really helpful, actually. I have a CAAD9 that I want to get a new saddle for, it sounds like the Power would be better for a road bike (and I've heard other people with really good things to say about that saddle) and I have an upright electric bike for when my knee is really flaring up on my commute, and the C17 would probably be a good fit there. Thanks.