Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedal Knock when at certain power

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 12:04 PM
Berge20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Any suggestions are welcome. I have developed a silent knock (there's not actual sound) or thunk feeling in my right pedal when applying something over 200watts or what not of power. Wish I could describe it better, but that's all I've got. The pedals are Favero Assioma Duo Side Pedal that I've had for just over a year. Minimal outdoor wear as I've primarily used them on an indoor setup, but some outdoor work.

Is this a pedal bearing issue or should I look at something else?
Old 09-11-20, 01:28 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Do the easy and cheap things first. Adjust and grease pedal bearings if possible. Swap the pedals with a known-quiet set, preferably platform type to rule out shoe/cleat noise. Clean and grease both male and female threads and torque firmly. Check that your bottom bracket fasteners and chain ring bolts/nuts are secure. Clean the mating surfaces and grease the chain ring bolt threads.
Old 09-11-20, 02:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
It always seems to be my right pedal too when that happens. But I'm only using Shimano PD-A520's. Yes you might just need to disassemble, clean and grease them.

But you probably should make certain that is what it is. Swap pedals is generally easiest, or move these to another bike if you don't have extra pedals but for some strange reason have an extra bike! <grin>

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2o...N0SkNlQlE/view

https://cycling.favero.com/faq-assioma look at the "Maintenance" section.
Old 09-13-20, 02:40 PM
Berge20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all. Pedal disassembly, clean and grease seems to have done the trick. Add another new maintenance experience to my bucket, and wasn't all that hard.
Likes For Berge20: