Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Watched my first pro crits yesterday

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 01:14 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts

I had the good fortune to spectate at the American Criterium Cup races in Salt Lake City, which was the sixth of ten locations in the series this year. Some world class pros were there, and it was very exciting. The course is not very technical—just a big rectangle, so four 90 degree left hand turns, and flat as an ironing board. But I was impressed by the riders’ ability to go as hard as they do, continuously, for an hour. Near the end—I think it was the second to last lap—there was a prime that they call the gambler’s prime (because to contend for it you risk the chance of placing well at the finish). Prize for that prime was a one kilogram bar of pure silver!
Old 07-16-23, 08:58 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Did you see the one around Sugarhouse Park? I bet that was great. I lived out there in the 90s and used to play Ultimate in the SE corner of that park. Good days.
Old 07-17-23, 09:37 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Did you see the one around Sugarhouse Park? I bet that was great. I lived out there in the 90s and used to play Ultimate in the SE corner of that park. Good days.
Sadly, no. I was only able to go to Saturday's races downtown. I'm sure the ones at Sugarhouse on Sunday were even more exciting. A 1.3 mile course with one steep and one moderate hill on each lap, also more variety of turns (one big sweeping LH, one hairpin LH, a sharp 90 degree LH, and a gentle RH). Never a dull moment on that course.

I know the Sugarhouse loop like the back of my hand, as I've been riding it for more than 40 years. I grew up one mile from that park, and now, at 53 years old, I still go there often for my favorite interval workout. I wish I could have gone yesterday to watch the pros race on it.
Old 07-17-23, 10:03 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Meh, Walmart sells a kg of silver for $926.24. To get to the point where you can hit a preem at will in a Pro 1-2 race you're probably at about six cents an hour wages

1 kilo Cast-Poured APMEX Silver Bar - Walmart - Walmart.com

Of course this is just humor from someone who has done just that for a $100.00 bill.
Old 07-18-23, 04:10 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
A six pack of beer gets the preem juices flowing in many races.

It would be a drag though if it wound up being that Utah 3.2 stuff. 😂
Likes For slcbob: