Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TdF Time Trial results

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 01:47 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Someone before made the estimate that 10% of the riders rode the TT to the best of their ability. Roughly speaking, that seems about right. After Jonas and Pogi, there were 13 riders within a minute of WVA. It seems reasonable to assume that all of those - and probably a handful of others - were giving it 100%. Battling for 45th place probably isn't happening, but the battle for top 10 is real.
On the other hand, if you've got a rider in the top 10 on GC and are worried about surviving the final two days in the mountains, are you really going to have them go all in on a 30-35 minute TT to try to gain a relatively small chunk of time to move up a slot or two on GC 8th to 7th overall? Seems risky - those efforts aren't easy to recover from and the potential time losses in the mountains are far more significant than any gains from the TT.

We're also talking about a bunch of teams who knew that Pogi and Jonas were going to light that thing up, plus you've got WVA to contend with, so I doubt many of them really felt like a stage win was possible. I have a feeling "managing the effort" played a pretty big role in the results.

This wasn't the final battle.
Old 07-19-23, 02:03 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
The bike change had little to do with the end result.
Pogacar was down 30 seconds at the bike change, and lost more time on the final climb despite being on the lighter bike.
At a minimum I think it's safe to say the bike change didn't help. It probably cost him some time.
Old 07-19-23, 02:18 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Pogacar was down 30 seconds at the bike change, and lost more time on the final climb despite being on the lighter bike.
At a minimum I think it's safe to say the bike change didn't help. It probably cost him some time.
Lanterne Rouge said it cost him 15-20 seconds. So, part of the story, but not decisive.
Old 07-19-23, 02:20 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Did none of you watch the TT or do you just not understand going fast? The way jonas attacked every corner was some senna-esque stuff. Dude was fearless and riding to perfection.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 07-20-23, 05:04 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I see no anomaly in Vinegaard beating WVA by 3 minutes given that course, their characteristics, and all the work Wout has been doing.

It was weird to see the gap to Pogaçar but less weird after seeing the cracks the next day.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 07-20-23, 07:42 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Here’s a thought, TP’s wrist injury was causing too much pain on the aerobike, they knew he was going to have to change on the uphill. They tested with Bierg to see how bad it was going to be and figured he was going to lose less time with the change than he would have trying to climb on the aero bike.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-20-23, 08:41 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Here’s a thought, TP’s wrist injury was causing too much pain . . . .
Might well be part of the issue - and not only on a TT bike.

The wrist injury certainly impacted his pre-TdF training. If it's still bothering him, it may be affecting his ability to concentrate (pain does that) as well as his efficiency when pedaling at times (harder to pull up on the handlebars when needed if one wrist hurts like hell).

I also think there are at least two other factors in play, though.

While they're about the same height (1cm difference, with Pogacar being the taller), Pogacar is 6 kg heavier than Vingegaard (66kg vs. 60kg). Hauling an extra 6kg up every hill and mountain adds to the accumulated fatigue over Grand Tour - where both speed and resilience are decisive factors. Add extra weight to less time to fully prepare, along with possible lingering wrist issues, and those three factors alone may explain Pogacar's relative "cracking" vis-a-vis Vingegaard the past 2 days.

Vingegaard is also a couple of years older than Pogacar. If I recall correctly what little I've read about human male athletic potential, for endurance activities that peak generally occurs in the late 20s to early 30s. If I'm remembering correctly, that means Vingegaard is closer to his physiological "peak years" than Pogacar.

Or I could be "out to lunch" and it could be due to something else entirely. Dunno.

Last edited by Hondo6; 07-20-23 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Add omitted word.
Old 07-20-23, 11:41 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
The amount of naivete in here is cute, but if you actually look at the numbers, there is no way this outcome came about without some kind of "help". In a 22.4km ITT, he beat 2nd place by 1:38, and 3rd by almost 3 minutes. For comparison, everyone's favorite doper, Lance Armstrong, never won an ITT by more than 1:30, and that was over 60km, not a third of that. He put in 4.4 sec/km on second place(and over 7 sec/km(!!!) on 3rd place, who just happens to be one of the strongest riders in the world, WVA), which has never happened, even in the days of the super duper doper Miguel Indurain. I'm seeing a lot of people commenting that "you don't understand how stage racing works" because many riders just cruise over the course when they have no reason to ride. While that may be true, the 3rd-11th place riders on GC finished around 45 seconds of one another, and there's no arguing that they were not actually racing the TT. Then you have TP, who is ~5% better than that, and JV who is 5% better than that, damn near 10% better than any other contender...vs the very best riders on the entire planet. That'd be like winning the 100m dash a full second ahead of the next guy lol! The other thing I keep seeing is "his downhill and cornering technique tho!" Are we just ignoring the climbing bit? Pushed 7.6 W/kg from the bottom of the categorized climb to the finish, and on the 2.5km climb itself, a VAM of 2100, ON A TT BIKE! In an interview, he even had the gall to say he was "holding back" at certain points, and at one point thought his power meter was broken because he didn't believe the numbers

Dude used to clean fish guts a few years ago, now he's the greatest cyclist in the world by a massive amount. I guess I simply don't believe this is at all possible clean. I'm sorry I don't dream big, I'm sorry I don't believe in miracles. This is why I quit watching stage racing back in the Sky days, and why I'm only going to last 2 weeks into giving it another chance. Enjoy the freak show, folks!

Last edited by cthenn; 07-20-23 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 07-20-23, 12:18 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
The amount of naivete in here is cute, but if you actually look at the numbers, there is no way this outcome came about without some kind of "help".

In a 22.4km ITT, he beat 2nd place by 1:38, and 3rd by almost 3 minutes.
Vingegaard has been smoking almost everyone for weeks. Pogi has hid it well, but almost certainly wasn't in top form this year, plus he likely flushed 20 seconds down the drain with a bike change. WvA has put himself into the wind almost every day for the past 2 weeks.

I mean, really. What's your theory here? Vingegaard is the only one in the pro peloton who is doping?

Dude used to clean fish guts a few years ago, now he's the greatest cyclist in the world by a massive amount. I guess I simply don't believe this is at all possible clean.
Oh, good grief. Vingegaard was already riding on a UCI Continental team when his coach told him to work at a factory to teach him some discipline.

Let's get real: There's no actual evidence that he doped. If there's a test result, a text message, a syringe, that's a completely different story. Otherwise, you could construct a just-so story for anyone who wins a bike race to accuse them of doping.
Likes For Bacciagalupe:
Old 07-24-23, 06:35 AM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
this writeup of the time trial, by ex-pro Michael Barry of Mariposa Bicycles is quite good.

https://mariposabicycles.ca/2023/07/...eid=44ff79a5f6
Likes For pstock: