Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Explore 2??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 07:05 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Garmin Explore 2??

Would like to hear from anyone who has this unit. What are your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 01-29-24, 09:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Records rides, I can follow a route on it without any problems. In short, it works for me. What did you want to know?
Old 01-29-24, 11:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I don't own a Edge Explore, so I'm not in the criteria you established for your question. However I wanted you to realize that Garmin is essentially selling features with all their various Edge models.

You can get a quick idea of what those feature differences are by using the compare tool on the Garmin website. Here is how the Explore stacks up to a Edge 540 and Edge 840.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/compare...Product=802162

So not a lot of difference. Unless you are wanting to use workouts and other features that someone who wants to get into the nitty gritty of training with their device. If so, the Edge Explore might be a poor choice. Also Di2 integration is lacking if you have or will ever have a Di2 bike. As well there are one or two other things missing that you may or may never care for in the future.

Otherwise for navigation and just recording your metrics of that ride it's about as good as any other. Although I have a Edge 530 with the push buttons, I'm now of the opinion that I should have gotten a Garmin Edge 1030plus with a touch screen. And the Explore has that. Touch screens make it easier while on the bike riding to get to some of the features you might wish to use. And for certain, easier to scroll the map around when you are trying to look ahead or find something.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-29-24 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-29-24, 12:10 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Pdlamb, we currently have a 800. It has served us for many tours over the last 12 years. It appears to be a good upgrade. Any glitches you don't like?
Old 01-29-24, 04:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Pdlamb, we currently have a 800. It has served us for many tours over the last 12 years. It appears to be a good upgrade. Any glitches you don't like?
800's touch screen stopped working on bottom right corner. Wonder if that happened the last time I dropped it?

Seriously, the features I use on a GPS are pretty limited, and the Explore 2 does them all. The screen isn't as big as the 100X series, and the Explore 2 may be slightly less sensitive to raindrops or sweat. IME the Explore pretty much duplicates the 800 at the same price (10 years later on). I miss the removable memory chip (just in case the unit goes kaput and/or the software needs to be refreshed from factory original). Bottom line, only you can prevent forest fires. Or tell if a GPS has the feature(s) you want.
Old 02-20-24, 08:33 AM
samar67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Would like to hear from anyone who has this unit. What are your thoughts. Thanks!
it works for most.. specified your requirements context.
Old 02-20-24, 11:24 AM
Tandem Tom

Thanks. I have one ordered!
Old 02-24-24, 06:03 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Very happy with mine. Decent battery life, decent functionality, and decent navigation. I wish it had Di2 integration, but I didn't have Di2 at the time I bought it so I didn't think I'd need that.

I don't do any guided training / intervals / training plan / etc, so the lack of that functionality is not a problem for me.