Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Earplugs/Headset

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 03:12 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Earplugs/Headset

I know most folks bike to get away from the hustle & bustle of todays world, & its not good practice to wear both earplugs/headset but if you had a choice of a reasonably priced earplug/headset to wear what would you?

Thinking of reasonable as under $150 USD, & something that wont easily slip out or if it does has a tether.

Dual usage of hearing my phone & possibly listening to music/motivational talks/jody calls, so probably bluetooth.
Old 03-21-24, 03:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
If I was to wear a headset while riding, it would be a "bone conduction" type to keep my ears as free as possible to hear the world around me. I will not ride with anything in my ear(s).

When I was attempting to be a runner (I got over it), I preferred in-ear headphones to help drown out the unsettling noises of my suffering.
Old 03-21-24, 04:07 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I appreciate the info to start, I get the reasoning for not wanting your hearing blocked, but I live rural downstate DE & mostly will be riding trails, very little road & if road then backroads which are a bit quieter.
While I love the sounds of nature, being exposed to it already 24/7/365 (spring peepers are already out in my woods) I need motivation sometimes & miss my jody calls for that.

Still open for discussion, just understand one thing folks, I already get the need to be able to hear the sounds around me, like horns/folks calling out/etc. My state does allow 1 ear listening device so its not illegal here.
Old 03-21-24, 04:54 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by AirPhantomPhoto
I appreciate the info to start, I get the reasoning for not wanting your hearing blocked, but I live rural downstate DE & mostly will be riding trails, very little road & if road then backroads which are a bit quieter.
While I love the sounds of nature, being exposed to it already 24/7/365 (spring peepers are already out in my woods) I need motivation sometimes & miss my jody calls for that.

Still open for discussion, just understand one thing folks, I already get the need to be able to hear the sounds around me, like horns/folks calling out/etc. My state does allow 1 ear listening device so its not illegal here.
I was using an older set of earbuds for indoor trainer rides. But that means listening for up to 2 hours per ride, so I wanted better ones.

I read a couple of musicians' forums, and the topic of in-ear monitors (IEMs) comes up regularly. Lots of players swear that you have to buy high-end ($200-plus) 1EMs and go to an audiologist to be fitted with custom ear molds (also expensive.)

But a growing proportion say they're happy on stage with inexpensive knockoff versions. Several of those players mentioned a couple of models. I ordered these from Amazon:

YINYOO Easy KZ ZST Colorful Hybrid Banlance Armature with Dynamic in-Ear Earphone

They're currently $20 a pair. I was a bit disappointed with them, though, using the best-fitting of the "earbud tips" that were supplied in the package. So I did a bit of further reading and then ordered these memory foam tips:

[6 Pairs] Earphone Tips New Bee 12pcs Premium Replacement Earbud Tips Blocking Out Ambient Noise Memory Foam Earbuds

Those (currently $8.00) improved the sound to the point that I'm now tempted to begin using those earbuds for listening to music, too, in place of my moderately high-end audio system speakers.

Last edited by Trakhak; 03-21-24 at 04:58 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-21-24, 05:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts

Do what's right for you. Personally, I love the sounds of my bike on the dirt, and the environment around me.
Old 03-21-24, 05:43 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I wear one earbud so I can still hear cars with the other ear.

These ones are decently reviewed and quite cheap. My wife uses them.

https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Aut.../dp/B0B1LVC5VZ

I use a pair of quite expensive Sony earbuds and do not recommend them. Poor value, and they also had some battery life problems which resulted in a mass recall by Sony. Terrible quality control.
Old 03-22-24, 10:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure that you can hear the rider that is coming up behind you when they say "on your left" or when they ring a bike bell. Just because you are on a trail instead of road does not mean it is safe to block both ears.

When it is windy, the wind noise can make it hard to hear the people approaching from behind, even if you did not raise the volume to counter the wind noise.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-22-24, 07:44 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Tourist,
yeah, I get that Like I said my state allow 1 ear listening, so I would have the other ear (left) clear to hear other sounds LOL I dont need to be the fool that sets off a accident because I didnt hear someone coming up behind me.
And if its that windy (like today) I most likely either wont be riding or at minimum wont be listening to my ipod.

Yan & Trak,
Thank you for the suggestions, going to look at them.

Eric,
I do too, the sounds of nature can be beautiful even here on DelMarVa. But sometimes I need motivation & jody calls or music are that for me. Thank you
Old 03-22-24, 08:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
I use one Bose noise canceling earbud. works pretty well even when windy. my wife on the back of the tandem with two ant always hear everything but it sounds better. I get about 6 hours out of one and they don't fall out. but they use touch controls so you cant change anything with regular gloves on.
Bose came out with these right after I bought my wife the regular ones. but they are far above your budge. but I bet the sound is worth it.

Bose Ultra Open Earbuds

https://www.bose.com/p/earbuds/bose-ultra-open-earbuds/ULT-HEADPHONEOPN.html?dwvar_ULT-HEADPHONEOPN_color=BLACK&quantity=1

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 03-22-24 at 08:41 PM.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 03-23-24, 12:07 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Foofer,
Thanks, I'll look into them, never know what I might find
Old 03-23-24, 12:20 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Foofer,
Thanks, I'll look into them, never know what I might find
if I had not bought my wife their other new ones a month before Christmas. would have returned them for these. my wife is serious about her music. my wife used the Bose glasses for years they worked great unless she had a balaclava on in the winter. they het you hear outside sounds.
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-Frames-T...s%2C190&sr=8-3
Old 03-23-24, 12:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
What might be helpful is finding reviews for ones that pair well with the device you'll dedicate them to.

Ear buds help with minimizing the wind noise too.
A gal I knew that was legally deaf that would wear both ear buds to held reduce riding annoyances.
Old 03-24-24, 07:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I finally spent the big bucks on Apple Airpods Pro 2. $230 with Applecare, ouch. And I don't regret it. I've never had anything nearly as good.

I keep them on with these tethers which are pretty handy.

Airpods Pro have a transparency mode which re-amplifies ambient sound.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-25-24, 01:39 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I finally spent the big bucks on Apple Airpods Pro 2. $230 with Applecare, ouch. And I don't regret it. I've never had anything nearly as good.

I keep them on with these tethers which are pretty handy.

Airpods Pro have a transparency mode which re-amplifies ambient sound.
Beats fit pro have mostly the same features, more secure. My airpods would often go flying when I take off my helmet.
Old 03-25-24, 05:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Airpods Pro also have a hearing aid mode.

I also love how they automatically switch among my gadgets (Macbook, ipad, iphone) without my needing to re-pair. This is not relevant for cycling, but it's one of the many reasons I'm so happy with them.

Also, the price is somewhat justified when I consider service. The microphone failed after less than a year. I sent them in, and Apple repaired them quickly.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-26-24, 01:54 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
[QUOTE=Eric F;23191303]If I was to wear a headset while riding, it would be a "bone conduction" type to keep my ears as free as possible to hear the world around me. I will not ride with anything in my ear(s)./QUOTE]

I am happy to ride with my OpenRun Pro headphones (and I run with them too).
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 03-27-24, 12:59 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions & ideas. I do have samsung pro earbuds but even sitting in my chair they have a tendency to slip out at times, well least the left one does. And since they are special edition I'd be gutted if I lost them/one of them. I have a pair of old skullcandies that are similar to airpods (stem on them unlike samsungs) & after doc visit the other day I have more time to research ear clips.

I have both a samsung galaxy (s20) & iPhone (13 I think) but either I'll be using a very old ipod touch (those little minis) or my iphone as samsungs went funny with playing music files without a 3rd party app. While I have spotify I prefer my own paid for music playlists. I've hooked up both apple products to the samsung buds & skullcandy so the overall quality is good for me, I'm not a parsnickety audiophile And jodycalls are not exactly hightech high level "music"

Thanks again everyone
Old 03-27-24, 10:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Kofuzi, a running channel vlogger on YouTube, has reviewed many earbuds, including several with active and passive noise reduction. Some have the ability to adjust the volume of ambient sound so you can still keep an ear on traffic.
Old 03-29-24, 07:42 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I wear one earbud so I can still hear cars with the other ear.

These ones are decently reviewed and quite cheap. My wife uses them.

https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Aut.../dp/B0B1LVC5VZ

I use a pair of quite expensive Sony earbuds and do not recommend them. Poor value, and they also had some battery life problems which resulted in a mass recall by Sony. Terrible quality control.
I use the cheap ones for road riding. Just one so I have a spare when I lose one.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 03-29-24, 08:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Beats fit pro have mostly the same features, more secure. My airpods would often go flying when I take off my helmet.
I use Beats Fit Pro earbuds on my indoor trainer and they are pretty secure, although I wouldn’t trust them riding outdoors. Native Apple connectivity is nice and I like the transparent mode for feeding through ambient sound. Reasonable price too for premium earbuds.