Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long term storage?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Long term storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 07:31 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Long term storage?

Hey everybody. I have family out in Florida so I go out there a couple times a year, generally for 2-3 weeks at a time. I don't like being really limited on my exercise program while I'm out there, plus I am making it kind of a tradition to schedule my visits around a triathlon. So I'll be taking one of my bikes with me next week and leaving it there. I will rig a bike hanger from the ceiling in the garage, so it will be stored in doors. But since I only get out there once or twice a year, the bike will probably hang for probably 11 months out of the year.

It's Florida, so I'm already thinking about rust. Bike is an early 2000s Trek Lexa, so aluminum frame. Not worried about that. I am worried about the chain and cables. Also thinking about prolonging tire/tube life as much as I can. Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-22, 07:48 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Just make sure everything is cleaned & lubed & you should be just fine.

I'd be concerned about ozone from any furnace or any UV light from a window or grow light (Florida, duh) degrading the rubber. So in that maybe bagging the bike to limit the exposure might be a reasonable precaution.

Honestly, it's probably fine though. Don't store it with the chain in big-big, don't bother with tubeless & I'm not sure what could go wrong or need attention.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-10-22, 08:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I would just clean it and clean/lube the chain before leaving it, and make sure to remember the tires and tubes will age out long before wearing out.
Old 12-10-22, 08:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
I live on the south shore of Long Island, so also a humid, near the ocean environment. I keep my bikes in an unheated and uninsulated basement, so similar to your garage and have never had issues with rust or corrosion.
Old 12-10-22, 08:48 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Could you talk your family into running a dehumidifier in the garage if you provided it? The better ones come with drain tubes so you really don’t have to do anything to them.
Old 12-10-22, 08:48 PM
VegasJen

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I was planning on just lubing the chain and maybe trying to squirt some oil on the cables. Only other thing would be to intentionally deflate the tires before hanging it. But I haven't had to deal with humidity like that in 30 years. I prefer the dry climate out here. Rust is a minimal concern.
Old 12-10-22, 08:52 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Thanks for the heads up, guys. I was planning on just lubing the chain and maybe trying to squirt some oil on the cables. Only other thing would be to intentionally deflate the tires before hanging it. But I haven't had to deal with humidity like that in 30 years. I prefer the dry climate out here. Rust is a minimal concern.
Don't 'squirt some oil on the cables'...all that will do is attract dust and dirt. Just leave them dry.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-10-22, 08:57 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Don't 'squirt some oil on the cables'...all that will do is attract dust and dirt. Just leave them dry.
OK. Good logic. What about a "dry lube" kind of thing? no-no?
Old 12-10-22, 09:22 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I lived in Florida (on the Gulf) and left my bike in the garage and never had an issue with rust. You could could probably give it a good cleaning and maybe a layer of wax before storing to put your mind at ease, but even that would be overkill. I like the idea of a quick blast of dry lube on the chain and cassette. I do that here in the Northeast before storing my bikes in the basement (climate controlled).
Old 12-11-22, 10:48 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Could you talk your family into running a dehumidifier in the garage if you provided it?
I would be more inclined to talk your family into storing the bike inside the house.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-11-22, 11:16 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Running a dehumidifier all year long in Florida is just a waste of energy. That’s like keeping an outdoor fire going all year long in the Arctic Circle.
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 12-12-22, 09:57 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Depends on how you hang the bike in the garage. Make sure you remove the pair of wheelsets before hanging. Brass nipples last longer than other material, as a general rule. Still, you want to keep the spoke tension to remain in good condition. Hanging with stress on the wheelset is not the best.

There are wheel covers that would be ok to use and then store for extra protection. I am assuming that you will be removing the wheels from the bike.

Also, depends how near the home is to the ocean.

Also, tri bikes have specific wheelsets and costly.
Old 12-12-22, 10:30 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Depends on how you hang the bike in the garage. Make sure you remove the pair of wheelsets before hanging. Brass nipples last longer than other material, as a general rule. Still, you want to keep the spoke tension to remain in good condition. Hanging with stress on the wheelset is not the best.

There are wheel covers that would be ok to use and then store for extra protection. I am assuming that you will be removing the wheels from the bike.

Your whole post is wrong excepting the brass nipple part but it doesn't really matter for storage. Hanging the bike from the wheels will do absolutely no harm. 'Pair of wheel sets'? What? Hanging a bike will not harm, add or remove any spoke tension. It's much less stress than actually riding the bike. Tri bikes don't necessarily have 'specific' wheels. They might, they might not. They might be expensive, they might not be.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-12-22, 12:59 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts

If your bike has 4 wheels, it isn't really a bike.

And hanging the bike from the wheels has negligible effect on spoke tensions. It is nowhere near the effect a rider has on spoke tensions.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-12-22 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-12-22, 03:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Tri bike wheelsets aren't really different from roadie - we'll tend towards deeper but if you show up at a triathlon, you'll see mostly standard road wheels. Only a few will be bringing discs and seriously deep (>60mm) wheels.
Old 12-12-22, 04:13 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
FWIW…earlier this year (May) I purchased a used steel road bike to leave at our vacation house in Ft. Lauderdale. I hang the bike from an overhead hook in the garage. When I finally made it back November, the bike was no worse for the NON-wear. I.e. the rust monster didn’t attack it. The chain was fine, bearings were all fine, and other than a bit of dust on the frame, and spiderwebs…there were no problems.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-12-22, 05:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it hanging in a garage in Florida. Just give it a good cleaning after you finish all your rides there and are ready to put it up for the year.

If it is going to be somewhere that it might have to be taken down and moved, caution them about rolling it on tires that might not have sufficient air in them. The tube can be damaged rolling it without enough air and you might fill it up and it last long enough for you to get to the place were you least desire to have a flat.
Old 12-12-22, 07:52 PM
VegasJen

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, guys. And this is just my regular road bike, not a tri bike. Although it doesn't appear to make a difference.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 12-12-22, 08:10 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem unless you're very near the water. Bikes stored on the porch at the beach house rust rather quickly.
Old 12-13-22, 12:50 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by jon c.
Shouldn't be a problem unless you're very near the water. Bikes stored on the porch at the beach house rust rather quickly.
Define "very near". The house where this bike will be stored is about six miles from the gulf beaches. Ian rolled right over top a couple months ago.
Old 12-13-22, 05:26 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Define "very near". The house where this bike will be stored is about six miles from the gulf beaches. Ian rolled right over top a couple months ago.
In my experience living on a beach, it is the fine mist from the surf that causes high rates of rust. This is location-specific. Look around at steel in the area. I would be surprised if you saw unusually prominent rust 6 miles inland.
Old 12-13-22, 06:12 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Your whole post is wrong excepting the brass nipple part but it doesn't really matter for storage. Hanging the bike from the wheels will do absolutely no harm. 'Pair of wheel sets'? What? Hanging a bike will not harm, add or remove any spoke tension. It's much less stress than actually riding the bike. Tri bikes don't necessarily have 'specific' wheels. They might, they might not. They might be expensive, they might not be.
Here's a view of a professional team truck. Admittedly, its a pro-team and it is travel thing. Inside of the Team Sky material Truck

Old 12-13-22, 10:02 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by flangehead
In my experience living on a beach, it is the fine mist from the surf that causes high rates of rust. This is location-specific. Look around at steel in the area. I would be surprised if you saw unusually prominent rust 6 miles inland.
OK. Makes sense I guess. Certainly not that close then.

But one of my experiences that made me concerned is I spent a year in Okinawa thanks to Uncle Sam's Big Green Gun Club. Everything rusts there. Even wood. OK, that last part is a joke. But any car more than about 6-7 years old would start showing signs of rust under the paint. By the time a car made it to 20 years, if it did, it was pretty much held together by duct tape and bailing wire. Never noticed any on bikes though. But nobody had a bike more than a year or two before it got stolen.
Old 12-13-22, 11:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Take a look at the garage you intend to use. If little used things stored in it seem all rusty or the tracks, rollers and hangers for the garage door seem rusty and corroded then maybe you should be wary of storing in the garage. But likely you'll be good, even next to the beach.

And consider if those rusty things were put up without cleaning after use.
Old 12-13-22, 12:11 PM
cxwrench

Here's a view of a professional team truck. Admittedly, its a pro-team and it is travel thing. Inside of the Team Sky material Truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTkJSDiOfA
I've got over 10 years as a team mechanic for pro teams here in the states. Hanging bikes by the wheels in a moving vehicle or trailer would be stupid. They'd swing and get damaged. In a team truck or trailer the main constraint is space. The other important fact is that those bikes will have different wheels installed nearly every time they're taken out of the truck. Sometimes training wheels, sometimes climbing wheels, sometimes wheels for flat races. Since they're in a TRUCK, which moves, and they all have carbon wheels, the risk of damage from road bumps is possibly a worry. I will repeat...storing a bike in a room by hanging it from the wheels is not risking damage. Especially if it has aluminum rims like the bike the OP is talking about. You're just changing the story in an attempt to make your post sound legit. Quit trying to sound important just for the sake of posting.

Last edited by cxwrench; 12-13-22 at 12:14 PM.
Likes For cxwrench:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.