Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sheldon Brown/Harris Cyclery site

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-23, 11:16 AM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts

I'm on there a lot, learning mostly about vintage gear. Such a great resource. There's always a donate link, but I've never donated to it. I think about how much I'd miss it if it had to shutter. So I sent them a donation. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/
Old 10-24-23, 12:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
ok
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-24-23, 04:01 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Sheldon was a very interesting man and a giant of sorts in the bicycle world. I'll have to go back to his site and check it out again. I wish guys like him were still around.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 10-24-23, 04:15 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Sheldon was a very interesting man and a giant of sorts in the bicycle world. I'll have to go back to his site and check it out again. I wish guys like him were still around.
I thought LarrySellerz is a guy like him.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 10-24-23, 04:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Sheldon Brown shows how things are conventionally done, whereas LarrySellerz is McGyver.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-24-23, 05:20 PM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
I visit the site quite a bit. Just went there today to see what a dropper was, after seeing it in a post on here.
Old 10-24-23, 05:39 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
I'm glad Harriet Fell and John S. Allen (a friend of mine) are keeping Sheldon's site maintained and updated. As I recall, John also worked on some of the last editions of the Sutherland's manuals, which a number of us remember from back in the day.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-24-23, 06:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,007 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
There is zero need to insult Sheldon Brown . Sheldon was a professional bike mechanic, cyclist and bike lover who always provided excellent knowledge and maintained a website people are still talking about and visiting well after he passed.
Not anything close to Larry beyond them at different times being on the same forum.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-24-23, 06:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Sheldon Brown shows how things are conventionally done, whereas LarrySellerz is McGyver.
Conventional isn't a word I would use to describe Sheldon Brown.

This was one of his bikes...

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-24-23, 09:28 PM
SW84

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
You're right. That seat isn't the right color, or soft looking.
Old 10-24-23, 11:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Conventional isn't a word I would use to describe Sheldon Brown.
I was not referring to the man personally, but his namesake website.
Old 10-25-23, 07:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
It doesn't have the mechanical information that Sheldon Brown gives, but if you enjoyed the other musings of Sheldon, then you might also like the musings of Ken Kifer who's life, in 2003, was tragically ended.

Welcome to KenKifer.com

Take the link on that page to his Bike Pages The navigation on the site is typical of home made websites of that period. So sometimes it's easy to get lost and not be able to find something you just read.

I didn't agree with all of his views, but I did enjoy reading his opinion and outlook on cycling.
Old 10-25-23, 10:03 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 976 Posts
As much as I am thankful to John Allen to taking over the reins at the site, one issue I see is that John Allen sometimes writes a new page altogether, which is not linked to the old pages. So for example, Sheldon Brown (Blessed be his name) wrote the seminal meta-analysis on cassettes here:
https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Now then John Allen made a nice page which expanded on that knowledge base by adding info on 10 speed FH7850 , 11 speed hubs, and 12 speed microspline, as well as the different 7-10sp freehub body types:
https://sheldonbrown.com/shimano-cassette-bodies.html

But the latter is a totally separate page from the former, and not as far as I could see, linked to from the former page. It would have been far better if John just added to the original page.
Old 10-25-23, 10:48 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
When I view Sheldon's site, I see ads, same as bikeforums or any other site generating revenue merely by clicks.
Old 10-25-23, 12:16 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
As much as I am thankful to John Allen to taking over the reins at the site, one issue I see is that John Allen sometimes writes a new page altogether, which is not linked to the old pages. So for example, Sheldon Brown (Blessed be his name) wrote the seminal meta-analysis on cassettes here:
https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Now then John Allen made a nice page which expanded on that knowledge base by adding info on 10 speed FH7850 , 11 speed hubs, and 12 speed microspline, as well as the different 7-10sp freehub body types:
https://sheldonbrown.com/shimano-cassette-bodies.html

But the latter is a totally separate page from the former, and not as far as I could see, linked to from the former page. It would have been far better if John just added to the original page.
This comment has been forwarded to Mr. Allen for his information. Can't say I can always promise to do this, but I'll see what I can do to forward useful feedback on that website.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-25-23, 12:19 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by Iride01
It doesn't have the mechanical information that Sheldon Brown gives, but if you enjoyed the other musings of Sheldon, then you might also like the musings of Ken Kifer who's life, in 2003, was tragically ended.

Welcome to KenKifer.com

Take the link on that page to his Bike Pages The navigation on the site is typical of home made websites of that period. So sometimes it's easy to get lost and not be able to find something you just read.

I didn't agree with all of his views, but I did enjoy reading his opinion and outlook on cycling.
Hard to believe it's been 20 years already.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-25-23, 12:32 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Thanks for the link... Done.
Old 10-26-23, 09:37 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
For me, Sheldon was exemplary in that he answered my questions. It may have helped we both owned 1986 Fat Chance Kickers.
Old 10-26-23, 09:59 AM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Sheldon "Irreplaceable" Brown. Thank you 🙏 for your good work. You have a left a legacy in the bicycle world. His website is still a "go to" resource for gaining knowledge on various aspects of bicycle. Can't believe it has been more than 15 years since he's gone.

My tribute to the legend 🙏 with a repost of his last post on this forum.

Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
Yes, freewheel threading is quite well standardized. There used to be an oddball French size, but that went extinct sometime in the '80s.

Your hub will work fine with any freewheel, though I would consider it a bit of a downgrade to go from a Shimano to a Regina. You'll likely suffer a deterioration in shifting quality.

Sheldon "Interchangeabilitude" Brown
Code:
+-------------------------------------------+
| My daughter is a fine singer. She’s on |
| YouTube singing Dvorak and Mozart: |
| https://tinyurl.com/2wbf3c |
+-------------------------------------------+
https://www.bikeforums.net/6103804-post2.html
Likes For Eyes Roll:
Old 11-09-23, 09:00 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
I've been using that site for ... ahhh ... since I started using the internet. Twenty-seven years or so. I still refer to it, and was on there this week. I'm very grateful to the people who update and take care of Mr Brown's legacy.
Likes For Lenton58:
Old 12-02-23, 04:12 PM
trucklet
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
I've learned so much from Sheldon's site, it's invaluable. Was reading the Suntour section in the shop and it made me happy to see the "last updated" date was today.
Likes For trucklet:
Old 12-02-23, 08:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Sheldon Brown. He actually thought that Poutine was a delicious snack food
Where I live in Quebec it is fondly referred to as "heart attack on a plate" fried potatoes, cheese, and rich gravy combined together

Last edited by alcjphil; 12-02-23 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 09:30 PM
TC1

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I'm glad Harriet Fell and John S. Allen (a friend of mine) are keeping Sheldon's site maintained and updated.
It's great that someone is keeping this site online, but someone also desperately needs to edit it. As-is it contains many errors that are, frankly, well below the standard of a venerated reference.

Some of the more embarrassing errors include:

"At high speeds, hydroplaning is just possible for car tires, but is absolutely impossible for bicycle tires."

"A correctly inflated tire will have negligible rolling resistance."

"Airless tires have been obsolete for over a century, but crackpot 'inventors' keep trying to bring them back. ​"

"Conventional tires used on 99% of all bicycles are "clincher" type, also known as "wire-on." They consist of an outer tire with a U-shaped cross section, and a separate inner tube. The edges of the tire hook over the edges of the rim, and air pressure holds everything in place. Many people suppose that tires are made out of rubber, because that's what is visible. This is a major oversimplification -- rubber is the least important of the three components that make up a tire:"

"The "bead" is the edge of the tire. On most tires, the beads consist of hoops of strong steel cable."

"The rubber is mainly there to protect the fabric from damage, and has no structural importance."

"The rubber that comes into contact with the ground is called the "tread.""

"Cracks in the tread are harmless."

And that horrific mess is all just on one page.

Last edited by TC1; 12-03-23 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added some of the other errors found on that same page, which really needs to be trashed and replaced
Old 12-03-23, 08:30 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Sheldon Brown. He actually thought that Poutine was a delicious snack food
Where I live in Quebec it is fondly referred to as "heart attack on a plate" fried potatoes, cheese, and rich gravy combined together
That looks like vomit. I'm not puuuting that in my mouth
Old 12-04-23, 06:48 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
It's great that someone is keeping this site online, but someone also desperately needs to edit it. As-is it contains many errors that are, frankly, well below the standard of a venerated reference.
Some of the more embarrassing errors include: >>> SNIP >>> And that horrific mess is all just on one page.
Even in my limited competence in bicycle mechanics and engineering, I'm sometimes spotting dubious or outmoded substance on Mr Brown's grand opus. But please, let's remember these following things:

• This is a reference legacy left by one master journeyman years ago.

• His opinions and technical information may be subject to criticism, questioned, revised, or updated today. Some of it may just be subject to opposing opinions of some readers.

• Every set of legacy or indeed historical documents eventually come under some scrutiny. They get criticized for all sorts of stuff. In more arcane, academic revisions, it is called "historiography". Well, we are not at that exact place with the Sheldon Brown collection. But respectfully, I submit that we should have a little more patience than labeling some content as "horrors".

SO:
• We can or should accept this most valuable legacy of 'velo craft' for what it is ... something many of us 'vintage' aficionados depend on. There may be things we do not agree with — but what the hell. Ceci et cela!

• Perhaps someone will step up and offer their service as a volunteer editor and contributor. For sure any candidate will be vetted by the current caretakers, but perhaps the offer will be graciously and gratefully accepted.

I don't think I'm qualified to take on such a responsibility. I rather regret that I'm not, so I'll gratefully accept what is there and let any "horrors" slide by as interesting artifacts that refer to what Mr Brown was thinking.

Last edited by Lenton58; 12-04-23 at 06:49 AM. Reason: formating
Likes For Lenton58:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.