Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a smart trainer!!!

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Benefits of a smart trainer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 07:21 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 405 Posts
Finally rode with the PM pedals on the trainer. Easy recovery ride.

right out of the gates the trainer reads 20-25w less. 130 vs 150.

let it warm up a bit and do an auto calibration- 5 seconds of freewheeling, the difference is cut in half. ride some more and do it again - 5w difference, within the margin of error, difference from the drivetrain loss.

If I don’t do the auto calibration the trainer feels like mush, and would stay that way the entire ride.

Zwift says 141w for the ride, PM says 162 - both average power.
Old 04-23-24, 04:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4432 Post(s)
Liked 4,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Finally rode with the PM pedals on the trainer. Easy recovery ride.

right out of the gates the trainer reads 20-25w less. 130 vs 150.

let it warm up a bit and do an auto calibration- 5 seconds of freewheeling, the difference is cut in half. ride some more and do it again - 5w difference, within the margin of error, difference from the drivetrain loss.

If I don’t do the auto calibration the trainer feels like mush, and would stay that way the entire ride.

Zwift says 141w for the ride, PM says 162 - both average power.
Trainers usually do require a warm-up period before accurate calibration. So I would say that is probably normal.

I would also check the power at various steady state power intervals eg 100, 150, 200, 250, 300W and see if the percentage error is consistent across the power range. With drivetrain losses it should be in the order of 3-5% lower on the trainer vs pedals.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-23-24, 06:52 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Also take into account the methodology being used. When I load my Zwift file into RidewithGPS I get a slightly higher average power than with Zwift. My calories are always higher in RWGPS too. I think it has something to do with how it treats zeros, or those times you stop pedaling, even momentarily. Since RWGPS also tracks outdoor riding I just use that as my counter.

I haven't checked my PM pedals vs. my trainer in a while, maybe I'll do that later today when I get on it.
Old 04-24-24, 05:58 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I’m now kicking myself for holding out so long… years on a dumb fluid trainer vs a basic Zwift trainer - night and day, completely different worlds!!
When I bought my 1st gen Kickr and joined the Zwift beta back in 2015 (I think), my wallet sure hurt. In hindsight, that was the best investment I've made in my cycling fitness short of the bicycle itself. Living in the upper Midwest, I used to get out of shape every Winter and have to essentially start all over again in the Spring. Now I don't miss a beat all year long... although that first real-life Spring ride is always a bit of a shocker as I have to experience head winds and bumpy roads.
Likes For PoorInRichfield: