Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trying to Identify a Bertin - model/year/value

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 03:55 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts

My wife found an old bike at at thrift store and since I ride a bike she figured I would know everything about it....Nope. Aside from it being a Bertin Im a bit lost on these kinds of bikes I had the assortment of Schwinns way back when an Old Peugeot from the 70s (generic old bike) and a newer Trek. I've done a bit of searching and found - https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpres...icycle-models/ -but honestly can't say I can really match it up very well. The one thing I do have is a post that Vertkyg wrote in which he stated "our company, World Champion Bicycles in Albuquerque, NM" and the bike has a bike recovery sticker from Albuquerque NM on the seat tube so he may have actually put this thing together..small world. I'm going to send him a PM and hopefully he will join in

The bike has some stampings on the L/R dropout saying (from my interpretation) that its a 58cm and measuring it that seems correct. On the R/R Dropout it says 1978 sooo maybe its a 78? The sticker appears to be from 1976 so maybe a different year or old sticker?

What I'm after if possible is an identification of what the bike is, does it have any real value or is it just a rider aka old bike form the 70s? Its a little rough looking (or just patina - lol) If I found anything in my searching is you guys need specs and pictures and Ive got both so Ill list an post..

Frame
L/R drop out. 6298 58
R/R dropout 1978
Made in France sticker
Sticker with 888 Legers 8/10 light tubes
Sticker Durifort on the Front Fork

Ideale 80 saddle
Simplex front and rear derailleur, Simplex Shifters
MAFAC Brakes levers
MAFAC Racer Brakes

Wheels
Atom hubs front and rear MAVIC 700C Wheels with clinchers
Front QR is an Atom Rear is a Maillard
Tires are Wolber 700x25 - yes they are shot.

Milremo Stem
Guidons Philippe ATAZ Franco Italia Bars

It does have a dynamo where a kickstand would go along with some electric lights
And the top tube cable hangers say Shimano Dura Ace

I couldn't see anything on the

The Crank doesn't have and stampings that I saw but the arms say universal and are cottered. If there is anything anyone needs a fresh picture of or something I missed I can load up something.

Old 10-08-22, 03:59 PM
JehD

More pics

Old 10-08-22, 04:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,715 Times in 2,613 Posts
In addition to @verktyg, @bertinjim is a great source of info on this marque.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 10-08-22, 04:41 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Very pretty bike and in good shape. You don't see Ideale saddles in that good of a shape too often. I suspect it is worth more than you paid for the bike. The mavic rims are very good.

I believe this is bertinjim's website and it has a lot of excellent info on Bertin bikes:

https://bertinclassiccycles.wordpres...icycle-models/
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-08-22, 05:05 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
1978 is a good enough guess.
Bertin models were subject to change by order-
the parts are pretty basic with a notch better tubing.
should ride pretty well.
I cannot tell but hopefully the wheels are 700c.

I would give it a full service.
at the minimum rear cables to front and new rear cables.
consider fresh brake pads, Kool stop replacements salmon are good.

the headset and bottom bracket will have loose ball bearings. Take care to remove the cotters - they are French and no longer a trip to the local bike shop to replace.

remove the tires, true the wheels, oiling the spokes first with penetrant. Check the rim strips. Probably Velox and old enough to vote.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-08-22, 05:20 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by repechage
1978 is a good enough guess.
Bertin models were subject to change by order-
the parts are pretty basic with a notch better tubing.
should ride pretty well.
I cannot tell but hopefully the wheels are 700c.

I would give it a full service.
at the minimum rear cables to front and new rear cables.
consider fresh brake pads, Kool stop replacements salmon are good.

the headset and bottom bracket will have loose ball bearings. Take care to remove the cotters - they are French and no longer a trip to the local bike shop to replace.

remove the tires, true the wheels, oiling the spokes first with penetrant. Check the rim strips. Probably Velox and old enough to vote.

They are 700c and true enough every consumable has been consumed. Everything seems to move smoothly enough but you’re right it does need a complete going over.
Old 10-08-22, 05:35 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
JehD-

The 58 is the frame size in centimeters measured center to top. The 6298 is the serial number showing production sequence. I've not seen anything like the 1978 except when a serial is stamped on that side which this, clearly, is not. The lugs, 888/Durifort tubing , decals and colour scheme seem to indicate a late 70s or an early 1980s build period. The bike seems to have an aftermarket BB generator and headlight based on the lighting wires not be internally routed through the down tube. As far as models go, this seems to be one of Bertin's touring series, likely a C 31 or C 31 Ter. Perhaps @verktyg can refine the specifics as he had direct experience in selling, assembly and service with this period of Bertins.

Also, as repechage said, be very careful with the cotters on the cranks. The angle and length of the cotter's taper differs from other cotters and they are very difficult to find.
Old 10-08-22, 06:13 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by bertinjim
JehD-

The 58 is the frame size in centimeters measured center to top. The 6298 is the serial number showing production sequence. I've not seen anything like the 1978 except when a serial is stamped on that side which this, clearly, is not. The lugs, 888/Durifort tubing , decals and colour scheme seem to indicate a late 70s or an early 1980s build period. The bike seems to have an aftermarket BB generator and headlight based on the lighting wires not be internally routed through the down tube. As far as models go, this seems to be one of Bertin's touring series, likely a C 31 or C 31 Ter. Perhaps @verktyg can refine the specifics as he had direct experience in selling, assembly and service with this period of Bertins.

Also, as repechage said, be very careful with the cotters on the cranks. The angle and length of the cotter's taper differs from other cotters and they are very difficult to find.
Thanks for the input on the cranks Jim and repechage...I always remember my Raleigh in the 70s and the pedal thump..pedal thump..because I had ruined one and didn't know any better. I sent @verktyg a PM with a link to this as from a prior post I saw he owned a shop here locally and this is probably a bike he put together and sold.
Old 10-14-22, 01:53 PM
JehD

I’ve looked around a bit and while I would still love some information if anyone has it, this looks to be just while not a bad bike just an old French bike from the 70s. Not that that’s a bad thing just that its not a flippable bike like my wife thought.

I guess I’ll break the news to her. Lol

On the up side…while I’m not much of a road bike rider since this one at least does seem to be “my size” and if i wanted a project to just clean, replace the consumables and then ride it looks like a cool rider as it has that “classic” look.

Maybe @verktyg will still chime in and tell me its some rare model that has some pedigree that’s not apparent..lol
Old 11-05-22, 09:25 PM
JehD

I decided to keep the bike and just do a deep clean and service vs a restoration and see what I end up with.

I started cleaning things and found a date code on the front caliper of 9/80 (forgot they used to do this) so I think this would likely narrow it down to an 81 model.

Not to say it couldn’t have been replaced at sometime in the last 40 years but the bike looks more storage worn than road worn so maybe not. I’m curious enough I’ll need to get the other caliper off and looked at to se if the dates match.

Last edited by JehD; 11-13-22 at 04:13 PM.