Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Looking for a cruiser, any suggestions?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 09:00 AM
Snowbird99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Currently riding on an old single speed Huffy(I believe its called Country Road) that my grandma left to me. It sucks haha, its very heavy/hard to pedal and is a single speed. Looking for something a bit easier to get around on that still has that vintage styling. I really like the look of a Huffy Nel Lusso but I hear a lot of complaints about it like it's weight and that it's not well built. Here's what I'm looking for in a bike:

-I want something that has a nice look to it, I really like bikes with fenders and chain guards that have designs on them.
-extra attachments, one reason Im considering the Nel Lusso is all the stuff that comes with it for the price(the rear rack, phone/cupholder, and front basket).
-maybe a 3 speed instead of single speed? I want to use this bike for short distance commuting, and I live in a bit of a rural and hilly area. I dont mind having to walk the bike up hill though.
-preferably under $400, but I could go a bit higher probably. I know its a low number but it doesn't have to be the absolute best of the best!

I apologize if I've used any incorrect terms in my post, I'm new to the "world" of bicycling. I biked a lot growing up but it was only walmart or flea market bikes so I'm not too savvy on what's good and not lol.
Likes For Snowbird99:
Old 06-24-23, 01:16 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
These meet your requirements for looks, weight, multi-speed and budget. However, you do have to do some minor assembly and it is helpful if you are able to lube, inspect and adjust the wheel, bottom bracket and headset bearings.
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...ruisers_al.htm
Old 06-26-23, 04:23 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
The 7 speed looks pretty good too, and much better for hills and such. You'd need to purchase a rear rack to carry extras, but it's worth it. Bikes Direct bikes are wonderful for the price point. I honestly haven't seen anyone who's experienced buyers remorse after purchasing from them, myself included.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...isers_al-7.htm

Last edited by tds101; 06-26-23 at 04:26 PM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 06-27-23, 07:55 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
If this is what yours looks like, why buy new? This is cool.
put some new wheels and tires on it, a new headset and bottom bracket and a seat and you have a new bike right there.
Old 06-30-23, 10:13 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
That’s a fine bike to me!!!
just needs the following

new grease in the
crank wheels and pedals

changing of sprockets to better suit yourself. Start with trying bigger sprockets on the rear wheel. It will make your bike seem lighter and more quick and they are cheaper and easier than changing the front sprocket.

then some kenda I think makes the high pressure 26” tires that hold up to 100psi but all you need is 60-65 up front and 70-75 in the rear it will roll much better than your current 40-45 psi

then down the line get your hands on a rear wheel with three speed hub installed. You’ll love it

lastly things like aluminum wheels, a nice second hand brooks saddle, three piece crank conversion, suspension seat post and whatever racks you want that’s about it

good luck
Likes For AtNjineer:
Old 07-17-23, 02:17 PM
spyderjohnson

Bikes: Schwinn Huron 3 speed cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I really! like your bike. If 3 speeds help, I'm happy with my Schwinn Huron 3 speed cruiser coaster brake.
Old 09-07-23, 07:23 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
put some new wheels and tires on it, a new headset and bottom bracket and a seat and you have a new bike right there.
What are those handlebars called? If I buy the Harper I'm getting those
Old 09-08-23, 12:25 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Look similar to the wald bars on Schwinn suburbans.

Maybe? Wald 7881. Great bend for upright seated bike.
Just realize it will really change bike fit from whatever flat bar probably came on the bike.
Old 10-01-23, 10:26 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
I really like my Electra 7D. Not the lightest out there, but probably lighter than the Huffy and on sale at $370
Old 10-02-23, 10:49 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I like Electra's for their style and quality. I also like the looks and price of Kent's La Jolla aluminum frame cruiser, but I don't know how good the components are, how it rides and how long it will last. It has fenders, but not full fenders. I like full fenders too but cruisers do look good without fenders. Just don't ride in the rain or shortly thereafter. One telling thing is that it appears to have steel rims. Their website says that the rims are alloy. I have my doubts since they are painted. That is not a deal killer, just an indication of a place that they are saving money. They have to economize somewhere to get an aluminum frame bike under $160.
@Schweinhund has a good idea. If you like your Huffy, the frame, fenders and other parts that you like you can keep and update some of the other components. Some of the components on Huffy's tend to be a bit on the wrong side of inexpensive, but if you are willing you can get new or used better quality wheels. Hopefully, your fork isn't bent like the example Huffy posted above. But if it is, you can get a tubular fork that will be much stronger than the one on that bike. If you can locate a Bike Coop near you @Snowbird99 that would be a big help toward getting the bike you have a like feeling a little better.

One more thing Snowbird99, keep replying to posts that you like here so that you get your post count up to 10 and then you can post pictures. We, as a group, tend to respond better when there are pictures.

I have an old Huffy frame with a fork that was bent like the one above. It's a decent enough frame, so I painted it. I picked up a tubular fork somewhere, I don't remember where. And now I'm collecting parts to go on it. Eventually, it will get built up, but with better parts than it originally came with. Also, being that is is a Huffy, repainting was not going to affect the value and no one would have to tell me that I ruined an original bike. With a Huffy, you can do what you like with it. You could also visit RatRodBikes for some ideas if you are going to build it yourself. They tend to like patina, have little interest in keeping it original and have no problem with Huffy's.

RatRodBikes Gallery

Either way you go, let us know.
Old 10-02-23, 11:06 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
The one thing that concerns me is that fork. It looks like it had a very bad day at some time in the past.
Likes For RCMoeur: