Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your full U-brake configurations ? And tell us why you love them !

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your full U-brake configurations ? And tell us why you love them !

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 12:31 PM
AeroFred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Interesting. Over the years I have seen lots of rear wheel drag brakes on tandems, but I did not know they were legally required anywhere.
No, you're right, not mandatory but strongly recommended.

What is mandatory, that's two working brakes, one front, one rear.
Other mandatory equipment in France : the lights (front & rear), the reflectors and the bell. As for the cyclist, he must wear a reflective jacket and a helmet.
Old 01-02-24, 08:43 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroFred
...Well, just put your bike upside down and here we are, the U-brake is smiling at you !
I don't know if this is the same problem madpogue has, but for my ride it is the clearance around the straddle cable end while trying to pinch the pads closed that is difficult, not the overall access.

​​​​​​​

A problem I could probably solve but it is easier to just install the wheel with the tire deflated.
Old 01-03-24, 03:03 AM
AeroFred

Originally Posted by flangehead
I don't know if this is the same problem madpogue has, but for my ride it is the clearance around the straddle cable end while trying to pinch the pads closed that is difficult, not the overall access.

​​​​​​​

A problem I could probably solve but it is easier to just install the wheel with the tire deflated.
Ok, I understand your problem. In your case, deflating might be easier and quicker indeed . . .
Old 01-03-24, 03:06 AM
AeroFred

Do you have experience with side-pull ubrakes like in the picture below ? I'd be interested to know if they're better at stopping . . .

Old 01-03-24, 08:19 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
​​​
Yes, it's access to the straddle cable end, but for a different reason. Your bike is different in two ways.

One, Your drive chainrings are on the pilot's crank. My tandem is more "conventional" in that the drive chainrings are under the stoker. That's where my issue is. It's not hard to reach the straddle release, but the release is on the drive side on my bike, so your tender skin is right next to the spiky pointy teeth of the chainrings. Worse yet, the bike originally came as a half-step-plus-granny, so that middle chainring was something like 48 teeth, and RIGHT next to the release. It's MUCH less of an issue now, with a more common 42-ish-tooth middle chainring.

And that's the other difference; the straddle release is on the timing side on my rear U-brake. Ironically, if we swapped brakes, your straddle release would be on the drive side where there'd be plenty of room to reach it. And mine would be on the timing side, where there'd be no larger chainring digging into my hand.

Off-topic, but take a look at the rear shift cable in that photo. There's a guide forward of the drive-side brake mounting boss, guiding the cable directly toward the boss. But then the cable deviates from that direction and passes around the boss. With all my bikes with chainstay-mounted U-brakes, the cable passes through a hole in the drive-side brake boss. Are you sure yours doesn't have that hole? The cable changing direction coming out of that guide, and then going around the boss (hard to tell if it rides on a guide there) seems odd.
Old 01-03-24, 12:31 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Originally Posted by madpogue
Yes, it's access to the straddle cable end, but for a different reason. Your bike is different in two ways....

...Off-topic, but take a look at the rear shift cable in that photo. There's a guide forward of the drive-side brake mounting boss, guiding the cable directly toward the boss. But then the cable deviates from that direction and passes around the boss. With all my bikes with chainstay-mounted U-brakes, the cable passes through a hole in the drive-side brake boss. Are you sure yours doesn't have that hole? The cable changing direction coming out of that guide, and then going around the boss (hard to tell if it rides on a guide there) seems odd.
You're right; we'd both have it easier with the release side swapped. Another difference is the centerline of the crank is much closer to the U-brake on mine than yours:

Yeah, they put your release right at the teeth...

A drive-side release might be the ticket for my arrangement.

I want to make sure I understand your observation about the guide; I may be missing something. Are you talking about the rear shift cable guide at red ? below? Or something else?
Old 01-03-24, 01:56 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Interesting observation about the position of the stoker crank on yours. Just another feature of a tandem with the drive crank under the pilot, I guess.

I want to make sure I understand your observation about the guide; I may be missing something. Are you talking about the rear shift cable guide at red ? below? Or something else?
Yes, it's that guide, plus how the cable goes around the brake boss. The guide seems intentionally pointed to the right, but then the cable makes a bend to the left (or toward the centerline) at the exit of that gude. But that doesn't seem right to me, that the cable's routing would go counter to the direction of the guide. Also, where the cable goes around the brake boss, is there another guide there? Or is it in housing? If it's just running against the side of the boss, that definitely doesn't seem right to me.
Old 01-03-24, 03:06 PM
flangehead

Interesting observation about the position of the stoker crank on yours. Just another feature of a tandem with the drive crank under the pilot, I guess.

…Also, where the cable goes around the brake boss, is there another guide there? …
I think the geometry serves to shorten the wheelbase.

There is only a groove in the U-brake mounting boss that the shift cable runs in.

Most times I see an outer cable segment used to negotiate complicated geometry but that wasn’t done here.
Old 01-04-24, 06:10 AM
AeroFred

Yes, it's that guide, plus how the cable goes around the brake boss. The guide seems intentionally pointed to the right, but then the cable makes a bend to the left (or toward the centerline) at the exit of that gude. But that doesn't seem right to me, that the cable's routing would go counter to the direction of the guide. Also, where the cable goes around the brake boss, is there another guide there? Or is it in housing? If it's just running against the side of the boss, that definitely doesn't seem right to me.
That's a good point !
Mine goes through the boss in a straight line. I don't get why, in his case, it has to go left around the boss when exiting the guide . . . Now that I've noticed it, it doesn't appear right to me either . . . that must create a lot of friction ?
Old 01-04-24, 11:13 AM
flangehead

.... that must create a lot of friction ?
It is running parallel to the centerline of frame until about the bottom bracket, so some direction change is needed to direct it along the drive-side chainstay. I haven't noticed excessive friction, though nothing on a supertanker is a light touch... as I mentioned earlier, a short segment of outer cable sheath would probably have been a better alternative but it works.
Old 01-04-24, 11:32 AM
AeroFred

It is running parallel to the centerline of frame until about the bottom bracket, so some direction change is needed to direct it along the drive-side chainstay. I haven't noticed excessive friction, though nothing on a supertanker is a light touch... as I mentioned earlier, a short segment of outer cable sheath would probably have been a better alternative but it works.
Ok, I see, the brakes are not directly mounted on the bosses, but instead they are bolted on adapters that allow the mounting of these powerful MTB u-brakes.
Old 01-04-24, 07:21 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
Moots mounts?
Old 01-05-24, 02:00 PM
AeroFred

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Moots mounts?
Yeah, guess so
Old 01-05-24, 02:14 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
I show you my MBK Tracker Max, a very limited edition from the late '80s, with Columbus Max OR frame and full Campagnolo Euclid gear with these amazing U-brakes.
It's not often that you see a full Euclid bike.....so I'll add a second one.

Early 90s Scapin in Cromor OR. I do have the original brake levers and shifters.

Likes For Choke:
Old 01-06-24, 03:38 AM
AeroFred

Originally Posted by Choke
It's not often that you see a full Euclid bike.....so I'll add a second one.

Early 90s Scapin in Cromor OR. I do have the original brake levers and shifters.

Thank you for posting pictures of your awesome bike !

You've got one of very few vintage MTB with full Campagnolo Euclid gear and these amazing U-brakes front and rear ! Congratulations !

What can you tell us about these U-brakes ? Power, modulation ? Maybe in comparison with other types of brakes you're experienced with ?

Last edited by AeroFred; 01-06-24 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-06-24, 03:48 AM
AeroFred

A good tip : try to replace the original brake pads with some Koolstop salmon ones. You'll notice the difference !

Last edited by AeroFred; 01-06-24 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-04-24, 09:57 AM
AeroFred

Anyone else with Campagnolo Euclid u-brake front ?

I'd like to see more bikes !