Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What are the bicycles painted on the road?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 07:47 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts

There's a street I commute on where the local authorities decided to paint bicycle stencils every so often down the middle of it.

Thank goodness that they are mostly faded away by now, because nobody knew what they were for.

For reference, it is 25mph, one lane each direction, with a double yellow line and traffic lights. There are businesses, parallel parked cars, and sidewalks on both sides. Other streets in town do not have the markings.

Wonders:
Were the local authorities simply on drugs and trying to "do something"?
Are the markings simply a friendly reminder to drivers to look out for bikes?
Do the markings have any legal meaning (for cars or bikes)?
Are the markings meant to encourage bikers to take that particular street?
Do the markings mean bikes should take the center of the lane and not let cars pass?

Personally, I ignore the markings, as does everyone else.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 01-05-24, 08:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
There's a street I commute on where the local authorities decided to paint bicycle stencils every so often down the middle of it.

Thank goodness that they are mostly faded away by now, because nobody knew what they were for.

For reference, it is 25mph, one lane each direction, with a double yellow line and traffic lights. There are businesses, parallel parked cars, and sidewalks on both sides. Other streets in town do not have the markings.

Wonders:
Were the local authorities simply on drugs and trying to "do something"? Could be, I just don't know.
Are the markings simply a friendly reminder to drivers to look out for bikes? Yes
Do the markings have any legal meaning (for cars or bikes)? Perhaps. See your city's traffic code.
Are the markings meant to encourage bikers to take that particular street? Yes
Do the markings mean bikes should take the center of the lane and not let cars pass? They alert you that bikes may need to do this.
And probably weaken your case in court if you hit one.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-05-24, 08:32 PM
Bleu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Do they have arrows 》》》 sorta like that but pointing in the direction of travel ? If so those are "sharrows" and it means your town stole federal money for bike/pedestrian projects and paved the street with said money. Ref. ISTEA.
Likes For Bleu:
Old 01-05-24, 10:14 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
It means a shared lane.

"What does a bike painted on the road mean?
Shared lane markings include a bicycle symbol and a double chevron indicating the direction of travel. They do not designate any part of the roadway as either exclusive to motorists or bicyclists. Rather, the symbols highlight the fact that the travel lane is shared."
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 01-05-24, 10:25 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
You don't give us any info about where you live, so nobody here can look up what the road markings mean. And rather than bring it up here, why don't you look it up or contact a local authority and find out? Seriously. If you are confused, ask someone who might know.
Old 01-05-24, 10:33 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
In most jurisdictions there is a legal pedestrian crossing at all intersections, sometimes emphasized by a painted crosswalk.

Sharrows are the cycling version of painted crosswalks.

Likes For flangehead:
Old 01-06-24, 08:28 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
They work well in my area.

I suspect the OP may have a greater understanding of the intent than is displayed.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 01-06-24, 11:02 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I suspect the OP may have a greater understanding of the intent than is displayed.
Yep.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-09-24, 03:36 AM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by flangehead
In most jurisdictions there is a legal pedestrian crossing at all intersections, sometimes emphasized by a painted crosswalk.

Sharrows are the cycling version of painted crosswalks.

Yes, the marks that I see in the road have the arrows like in this picture.
Old 01-09-24, 04:51 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Yes, the marks that I see in the road have the arrows like in this picture.
You’ve got sharrows!
Old 01-09-24, 08:05 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
At one time I thought I understood the concept of Sharrows, but now I'm utterly confused. They don't mean anything to me, as a seasoned rider, I don't need the symbols to steer me away from hazards.

Here are some interesting photo examples of them used and (in my mind) it only muddies the waters.

(You can scroll thru a bunch of photos on this link):

https://nacto.org/publication/urban-...lane-markings/

>
Old 01-09-24, 05:07 PM
ScottCommutes

OK - I googled sharrow. It seems to be a left-right thing of where in the lane or road bicycles should preferably travel. The ones in the picture above make a tad of sense because there are two lanes. The ones I came across are down the middle of the lane where there is only one lane in each direction, so I guess they give me a little more permission to move left and away from the parked cars.
Old 01-09-24, 05:16 PM
ScottCommutes

From the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (as quoted in Wikipedia)

A. Assist cyclists with lateral positioning in a shared lane with on-street parallel parking in order to reduce the chance of a bicyclist impacting the open door of a parked vehicle;
B. Assist cyclists with lateral positioning in lanes that are too narrow for a motor vehicle and a bicycle to travel side by side within the same traffic lane;
C. Alert motorists of the lateral location bicyclists are likely to occupy within the traveled way;
D. Encourage safe passing of bicyclists by motorists; and
​​​​​​E. Reduce the incidence of wrong-way bicycling.

So the ones I see are in effect telling everyone "The road isn't wide enough to try to pass a bike here" (point B). The others seem less relevant.
Old 01-09-24, 06:00 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
OK - I googled sharrow. It seems to be a left-right thing of where in the lane or road bicycles should preferably travel. The ones in the picture above make a tad of sense because there are two lanes. The ones I came across are down the middle of the lane where there is only one lane in each direction, so I guess they give me a little more permission to move left and away from the parked cars.
There are so many roadways with cars parked that don't have Sharrows, so this makes them pointless, for all practical purposes. And you don't need a Sharrow to give you permission to ride outside a door zone. All bike laws give us that Right and responsibility.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

(5)(a) A person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing must ride in the bicycle lane or, if there is no bicycle lane on the roadway, as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3. When reasonably necessary to avoid any condition or potential conflict, including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, animal, surface hazard, turn lane, or substandard-width lane, which makes it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge or within a bicycle lane. For the purposes of this subsection, a “substandard-width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 01-10-24, 02:02 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
According to NACTO: 'Demonstrated to increase the distance between bicyclists and parked cars, keeping bicyclists out of the “door zone.”' We have sharrows on K St.; guess where they are?
Old 01-10-24, 07:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
They are also know as “bike in the house”. The idea is to not have a marked lane for bicycles but as a notification to motorists and cyclists that the cyclists doesn’t have to hug the curb. Often they are misused in bike lanes or they are too close to the curb. You don’t have to ride over the middle of them but they are a notification that you can ride out there and cars should share the road. I know the guy who helped develop the idea.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-10-24, 08:01 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Korina
According to NACTO: 'Demonstrated to increase the distance between bicyclists and parked cars, keeping bicyclists out of the “door zone.”' We have sharrows on K St.; guess where they are?
Far too often there is a disconnect between the idea of sharrows and the application. Sometimes that is due to city engineers and others it is due to the paint crew. Sometimes both.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-10-24, 02:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Far too often there is a disconnect between the idea of sharrows and the application. Sometimes that is due to city engineers and others it is due to the paint crew. Sometimes both.
Truth.

However, last summer our local Association of Governments hired Dan Burden, a walkability expert, to do walk audits of problem areas in several of our towns over three very busy days; I believe four of our five-member city council attended the Arcata audit (along with myself and 90 others). After that they were suddenly excited about making the town more walkable, and thankfully dumped the idea of a couplet in a pretty, low-traffic area. In fact, I learned that the city's looking into hiring Dan to consult just for Arcata. I learned this at the Transportation Safety Committee meeting; it was funny to hear the many tiny gasps and squeaks from the committee and the audience (both of them).

Anyway, Tl;dr. The city may do the right thing and remove on-street parking from the sharrow section of street and install a bike lane. It's certainly on the table.
Old 01-10-24, 02:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I saw on on the road in North Carolina this past year a rudimentary similar image of a Bicycle getting rear ended by a car and had a slash through it indicating Don't Cross This Bridge on a bicycle.

I could not stop and take a pic at the time but maybe someone can post an image of it. It was just before the big bridge near Atlantic Beach...
Old 01-10-24, 04:03 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by zandoval
I saw on on the road in North Carolina this past year a rudimentary similar image of a Bicycle getting rear ended by a car and had a slash through it indicating Don't Cross This Bridge on a bicycle.

I could not stop and take a pic at the time but maybe someone can post an image of it. It was just before the big bridge near Atlantic Beach...
Have you tried google maps?
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-14-24, 09:53 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Its not the outline of a squashed bike, like the body at a crime scene?
Old 01-15-24, 12:08 PM
cyccommute 

Sometimes the sharrows can be whimsical. These in the River North district of Denver. The area is also know as RiNo

Old 01-25-24, 02:41 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
They are ill-conceived indicators that "bikes may use full lane". Very dangerous and rude, especially with a double yellow line. Ignore them. On the other hand, they may in-advertantly serve as reminders to drivers who park along that way to double check for bikes before opening their door to exit their vehicle, so maybe not a complete waste of paint..
Old 01-25-24, 08:14 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I was told by our local DPW that the pavement is softer there giving riders a safer place to fall off their bikes...someone will have to test it and report back to us on this thread with the results of their testing...make sure to test it several times in different spots to get more useful data...
Old 01-25-24, 12:50 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts

Thank goodness that they are mostly faded away by now, because nobody knew what they were for..
That's a shame. Do they understand what the red octagons and yellow triangle signs are for? Do they understand what RR Crossing means when it's painted on the pavement? Sounds like you've identified a real need for some pretty basic education in your area.

Wonders:
Were the local authorities simply on drugs and trying to "do something"?
Are the markings simply a friendly reminder to drivers to look out for bikes?
Do the markings have any legal meaning (for cars or bikes)?
Are the markings meant to encourage bikers to take that particular street?
Do the markings mean bikes should take the center of the lane and not let cars pass?
1) No drugs necessary. They did do something.
2) Yes, and an indicator that bikes are allowed to take the center of the lane.
3) Yes. They indicate that bicycles are legal vehicles and can legally take the lane. Note that the contrary is not true. You are also allowed to ride on roads without sharrows.
4) Likely, or possibly a recognition that that is a popular street for cyclists.
5) They mean you are entitled to take the lane. If you want to move out of the lane to let cars pass, that is your option, but it is not required.

You do you, I suppose. Given that many of us pay enough attention to sharrows to discuss them from time to time, I guess we don't ALL ignore them.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.