Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton versus the clone

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 04:25 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

In depth, sometimes controversial comparison coming to this space soon ...
Old 12-28-18, 07:26 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
What brands and models of folding bikes are considered clones of Bromptons? Being only familiar with the Dahon that I own, it would be great for a list ahead of time. That way we can do some of our own research. Thanks!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-28-18, 08:57 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Uhh, what's the point of starting a thread with no content?
Old 12-28-18, 10:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
What brands and models of folding bikes are considered clones of Bromptons?
Define 'clone'.

3sixty, B-bike, Chedech, Cigna, Flamingo, Fova, Groo, La Bici, MIT, Neo, Pico, Sanye, United Tri-Fold and Viking X are some of the bikes one might find in East and Southeast Asia patterned after the no longer patent-protected Andrew Ritchie design. The Burke 20, Crosshead and Java Neo have clearly evolved from the Ritchie design. Brompton claimed the Dahon Curl was a 'clone' and they brought suit in EU court. The suit was thrown out and Brompton wound up paying Dahon's legal fees.

Bromptonesque frames are available aftermarket fabricated in stronger, lighter materials than the HiTen steel Brompton uses; here in titanium:

"The best defense against copying is innovation.” Will Butler-Adams

Last edited by tcs; 12-28-18 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 11:26 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Define 'clone'...?

Great quote!

Probably a better question for the OP. How do you define "clone" @avole ?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-28-18, 11:28 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Best value also works.
Old 12-28-18, 02:34 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
DON'T WORRY, GANG !!

Shocking revelations to come ! You'll never look at Bromptons the same way after !
Old 12-28-18, 02:40 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Will the revelations be this century or the next or is this going to be a Helix type post? Not important to me as I am not into the Brompton Helix myths. Roger
Likes For rhenning:
Old 12-28-18, 04:13 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Uhh, what's the point of starting a thread with no content?
Marketing? Trolling?
Old 12-28-18, 04:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Great quote!
On this thread, ironic.
Old 12-29-18, 01:04 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
To-morrow the story begins: The great lorry vs clone fight! See the lorry come sliding out of control down the unmade road as the clone (and its rider) face a choice: a 600m sheer drop through the jungle or being squashed against the otherside. Did the clone survive ? how did the Brompton come into the picture . Am I writing this from the other side?
Old 12-29-18, 01:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Bromptonesque frames are available aftermarket fabricated in stronger, lighter materials than the HiTen steel Brompton uses; here in titanium:

I talked to a guy up in Portland that believed that simply swapping steel for titanium induced too much flex, and a proper frame build required oversized tubing. He had a prototype built which was nice, but I think he only did it as a one-off. Perhaps he'll build more someday.

I've got the contact info somewhere.
Old 12-29-18, 03:02 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've reported the post above to my lorry driving friend - yes, I survived - nothing to do with the topic.It's like putting a chapter from "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" into "The Great Gatsby". One is a classic, the other deserves its place as the precursor of the plethora of empty novels about the rich which sold millions before it became a vehicle for Hollywood hacks.
Old 12-30-18, 07:13 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Somerimes the unexpected changes the best of intentions. This thread was intended as a light weight, gently amusing antidote to the festive season, but will have to be delayed.

Yup, a bad cold struck.
Old 12-30-18, 05:27 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Somerimes the unexpected changes the best of intentions. This thread was intended as a light weight, gently amusing antidote to the festive season, but will have to be delayed.

Yup, a bad cold struck.
Get well soon,...I hate getting sick around the holidays.
Old 12-31-18, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ufb

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I talked to a guy up in Portland that believed that simply swapping steel for titanium induced too much flex, and a proper frame build required oversized tubing. He had a prototype built which was nice, but I think he only did it as a one-off. Perhaps he'll build more someday.

I've got the contact info somewhere.

Yea for $10K each.. it, the prototype was stolen and recovered a few years ago (if speaking of the same Guy)

Old 01-01-19, 07:45 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So - let us begin. I was on the first day of the tour, using the clone. Done all the right things, checked route, booked hotels, gone over the route many times, bought the water and so on. Anyway the Not my fault, it was a google error, fancy sending me up an unmade load, not to mention the - well, I anticipate.

The lorry had passed me earlier, careering along with an almost French elan. Around a corner, left turn, sea one side, nicely made road curling along the hills of the National Park, idyllic. But then, the unexpected. A nice sign , and another below written in English, explaining the road was blocked by a land fall 30 m further on. You could qubble, pàergaps about the distance - see later, but within 100cm os so it was probably correct. Whipped out the phone, fired up Google Maps, saw a road a little further on which seemed a good alternative, although it did seem to climb a little. Here I must point out that Google Maps are good, but that some indications of contours particularly in areas without many roads tend to be either missing or problematic. So, I continued. Then the road turned into a earth track. It began to climb and, as anticipated became more rutted as it did. That is often the case in areas like these, what with the runoff and rains themselves, and it was the *** end of the monsoon season. The road continued climbing, and so did I, after dismounting and strapping the baggage to my back, continued. Small wheels and dirt, rutted tracks do not go together,and I'd already had my fill of Bromptonesque punctures on the trip to to Angkor Wat. By the way, anyone who does not do that trip is as silly as those not visiting the war remnants museum in HCM, stunnng.

Anyway I turned a corner and saw the lorry which had evidently had tried to make a steep 45° bend and failed. Difficult choice since on one side there was a 2-300m drop, and on the other a sheer cliff face of he same proportions. n Thailand at midday. The lorry began to move upwards, so I followed it, then had to slip back so did I, clutching the bike to me. I'd chosen the drop side, and in a ghastly 3D slow motion Indiana Jones parody those rear wheels were closing in on me. I stepped back as far as possible, then the lorry went forward, wheels biting on some rocks on the road. I had room to pass now,so I did, tight, but that's what the lorry had been intending, He smiled and waved as I went past the cab. Never saw him or the lorry again, but vowed to find the first person I could, or network signal, as priority one. Didn't have to, as, a kilometre on, a white van appeared, I tried to stop it to indicate there was a stuck lorry stuck but he nodded, and pointed to the words on the driver door. In Thai, so no idea of what it meant, but I guessed this was the local rescue van.

As it was, the only tricky part was the 10 - 20m part when I was carrying bike and luggage So, here's the point of the comparison - the Brompton plus luggage weighs in at 23 kg, while the clone weighs in at 21 kg, a difference of 2 kg. That difference might have pulled a lesser person over the edge. As my friends on the touring thread would point out, this was just the thing that could have provoked a catastrophe. Well, it didn't, bearing in mind the my original route was some 30km shorter, and a lot quicker since it was mostly flat. Do I have proof of the incident? No. I thought about taking a picture several times, but decided against it.

Score 1 to the clone.

Weight
Brompton, 6 speed 13,2 kg
Neo, 3 speed. 11,1kg

Last edited by avole; 01-01-19 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-01-19, 08:11 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I talked to a guy up in Portland that believed that simply swapping steel for titanium induced too much flex, and a proper frame build required oversized tubing.
Concerning cycles, hardly a unique or recent revelation.

He had a prototype built which was nice, but I think he only did it as a one-off.
Regular low-volume production item out of China. Alibaba. Ebay. Save weight; maybe it will keep a truck from squishing you.
Old 01-01-19, 08:36 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Next: the water hazard. Pic, so needs to wait a little
Old 01-01-19, 11:51 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
I have two clones (3sixty and easyTi) and they are both quite good.
Old 01-06-19, 04:35 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
So - let us begin. I was on the first day of the tour, using the clone. Done all the right things, checked route, booked hotels, gone over the route many times, bought the water and so on. Anyway the Not my fault, it was a google error, fancy sending me up an unmade load, not to mention the - well, I anticipate.

The lorry had passed me earlier, careering along with an almost French elan. Around a corner, left turn, sea one side, nicely made road curling along the hills of the National Park, idyllic. But then, the unexpected. A nice sign , and another below written in English, explaining the road was blocked by a land fall 30 m further on. You could qubble, pàergaps about the distance - see later, but within 100cm os so it was probably correct. Whipped out the phone, fired up Google Maps, saw a road a little further on which seemed a good alternative, although it did seem to climb a little. Here I must point out that Google Maps are good, but that some indications of contours particularly in areas without many roads tend to be either missing or problematic. So, I continued. Then the road turned into a earth track. It began to climb and, as anticipated became more rutted as it did. That is often the case in areas like these, what with the runoff and rains themselves, and it was the *** end of the monsoon season. The road continued climbing, and so did I, after dismounting and strapping the baggage to my back, continued. Small wheels and dirt, rutted tracks do not go together,and I'd already had my fill of Bromptonesque punctures on the trip to to Angkor Wat. By the way, anyone who does not do that trip is as silly as those not visiting the war remnants museum in HCM, stunnng.

Anyway I turned a corner and saw the lorry which had evidently had tried to make a steep 45° bend and failed. Difficult choice since on one side there was a 2-300m drop, and on the other a sheer cliff face of he same proportions. n Thailand at midday. The lorry began to move upwards, so I followed it, then had to slip back so did I, clutching the bike to me. I'd chosen the drop side, and in a ghastly 3D slow motion Indiana Jones parody those rear wheels were closing in on me. I stepped back as far as possible, then the lorry went forward, wheels biting on some rocks on the road. I had room to pass now,so I did, tight, but that's what the lorry had been intending, He smiled and waved as I went past the cab. Never saw him or the lorry again, but vowed to find the first person I could, or network signal, as priority one. Didn't have to, as, a kilometre on, a white van appeared, I tried to stop it to indicate there was a stuck lorry stuck but he nodded, and pointed to the words on the driver door. In Thai, so no idea of what it meant, but I guessed this was the local rescue van.

As it was, the only tricky part was the 10 - 20m part when I was carrying bike and luggage So, here's the point of the comparison - the Brompton plus luggage weighs in at 23 kg, while the clone weighs in at 21 kg, a difference of 2 kg. That difference might have pulled a lesser person over the edge. As my friends on the touring thread would point out, this was just the thing that could have provoked a catastrophe. Well, it didn't, bearing in mind the my original route was some 30km shorter, and a lot quicker since it was mostly flat. Do I have proof of the incident? No. I thought about taking a picture several times, but decided against it.

Score 1 to the clone.

Weight
Brompton, 6 speed 13,2 kg
Neo, 3 speed. 11,1kg
Can you summarise this text at the end with the moral/point of the text. I get the Brompton is heavier bit.
Old 01-06-19, 05:07 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Can you summarise this text at the end with the moral/point of the text. I get the Brompton is heavier bit.
Then that's all you need. Bear in mind I was fully aware the thread probably wouldn't work on this forum, but it might be interesting to some.

There is no moral.
Old 01-29-19, 02:34 PM
sgtdemeo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 01-30-19, 12:07 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtdemeo
Sorry, don’t know what that means - more, or let sleeping bikes lie ?
Old 01-30-19, 06:50 AM
sgtdemeo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, don’t know what that means - more, or let sleeping bikes lie ?
It was more just general confusion with this whole thread. Maybe I missed the point, or it was supposed to be funny and I missed the joke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.