Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Clones?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 11:58 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
Here is my trifold bike from Litepro. Basically 1/3 the price of a genuine Brompton. It has differences. One is that it will roll even when the front section is not folded. The front wheel doesn’t get in the way. Is the quality 66% less? I’ll see…

PS: I’m working on my photography skills following Ron Damon’s suggestion.🥴

Likes For jfouellette:
Old 06-09-23, 12:22 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
Here is my trifold bike from Litepro. Basically 1/3 the price of a genuine Brompton. It has differences. One is that it will roll even when the front section is not folded. The front wheel doesn’t get in the way. Is the quality 66% less? I’ll see…

LOoks great! Bring on the updates.
Old 06-09-23, 01:57 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
"We have gone to court in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain to protect the 'three dimensional trademark' of the overall shape of the Brompton so that if someone else invents a different kind of folding bike, they can't make it look too like ours; this has been appealed all the way up to the European Court of Justice and may one day be ruled on there." - Will Butler-Adams
Since this thread was active in February, the EU courts did rule: sorry, Brompton, your bike is a functional industrial design (with an expired patent), not copyrightable/trademarkable artwork.

Brompton has now lost two back-to-back "3D trademark" cases against Dahon and Chedech in the EU courts.
Old 06-09-23, 02:07 PM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
They probably forgot that to stay alive they need to innovate.
Old 06-09-23, 02:17 PM
tcs
Palmer

It has differences. One is that it will roll even when the front section is not folded. The front wheel doesn’t get in the way.
Brompton (relatively) short wheelbase: wheels overlap.

Asian trifold (relatively) long wheelbase: wheels do not overlap.

Note: Not all Asian trifold brands/models feature the longer wheelbase.
Old 06-09-23, 04:35 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
The company will still receive sales based off of the recognition and promotion of their mentioned/copied brand. Clones deny the fact they're not original, and refuse to acknowledge the brand of the original design.

“respect or reverence paid or rendered”
??? Where is anything that says the original company gets actual money from "homage" manufacturers?

And there is the point that you seem to ignore. Again, a homage acknowledges the creator, where the clone ignores the initiator of the original. It's a "point of contention" that's been debated nonstop. Waiting lists are irrelevant. It's the recognition, or lack thereof, that makes it an issue (including legal proceedings).
??? Your link doesn't indicate that homage manufactures actually mention the originator by name.

It's all about paying royalties to the original company.
Either way the company who is the design initiator receives some form of compensation,...

Homage,...what don't you comprehend? Apparently you're exactly the type of person that likes to debate semantics. Discussion is over.
You aren't making any sense.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-09-23 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-09-23, 05:06 PM
njkayaker

It's all about paying royalties to the original company.
This is wrong.

Either way the company who is the design initiator receives some form of compensation,...
This is wrong.

Last edited by StanSeven; 06-09-23 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Quoted deleted post
Old 06-09-23, 08:07 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts

Not bad for only a Litepro. 😉😉

The pix are looking better. 👍🏼

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-10-23 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 08:38 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Let’s stop with the back and forth arguing which adds nothing to the thread. The thread was cleaned up some too. Thanks.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 06-10-23, 08:23 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by CEBEP
I wander why people call Brompton copies as clones but Rolex clones as homage? Here is example of homage watches. Also a clone Brompton is considered as bad thing while Rolex clones, called homage watches are fine.
You are "begging the question" here.
  • Clearly, people who buy Brompton "clones" see them as fine.
  • It appears some people are not fine with "homage" watches.
That is, it seems the two situations seem to be similar.
Old 06-10-23, 01:47 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Copy: like copying someone's homework and taking credit.
Clone: As above but you now know how to do the homework
Counterfeit: As above, but with skills
Homage: As above with added snobbish entitlement
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 06-11-23, 09:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

They probably forgot that to stay alive they need to innovate.
Credit where credit is due: Brompton is (currently) thriving. The order books are full and they've met their aggressive sales increase goals, perhaps a few years late but with Brexit and COVID, still absolutely commendable. They are exporting a low-tech device (steel bicycles are basically 1890s~1920s technology) from what has to be one of the world's highest manufacturing cost locations - unbelievable! They've built a community of customers - outstanding branding effort! They have a vision of building a new factory that's actually a nice facility in which to work.

Okay. They've been using the courts, rather than superiority of product, to battle competitors. Their 'innovation' of 4-speed derailleur gearing is a chuckle. And I find some of their marketing absolutely eye-rolling.

So what will the future hold?

Last edited by tcs; 06-11-23 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-11-23, 09:42 AM
CEBEP

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
I don’t wish Brompton goes broke. I have one myself and like it very much. But I decided to buy it after youtube video by Victor, not Brompto’s ads, commercials or communities. I didn’t even know it existed before watching that video But what I know from my life experience is companies who do not invent would eventually fade away. Future will tell I guess.
Likes For CEBEP:
Old 06-11-23, 01:05 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quick update on the bike. Most of the screws needed to be torqued (loose crank arm). I replaced the folding pedals with Dahons. Replaced the chain ring with a Litepro 45t instead of the unbranded 47t with separate chain guard. Added reflectors to meet regulations.

The Sturmey Archer hub works well but I’m having trouble with the derailleur.

Here is the picture of how they applied the shipping fees. It works. They used 30 pages of stamps! Anybody collect Chinese stamps?

Last edited by jfouellette; 06-11-23 at 01:08 PM.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 06-19-23, 05:47 PM
jfouellette

Update: The Sturmey Archer hub is slipping between the 2nd and 3 rd gear. I took a look at a video and I’m trying to solve this. Up to now it looks like it s working. Same thing with the deraileur. I’ve ordered a kick stand, extented and wider caster wheel, replaced the saddle. The ride is actually good. More to follow. Here is a récent picture.

Last edited by jfouellette; 06-19-23 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 08:45 PM
jdogg111

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I've seen some trifolds with British flag decals and even CHPT3 paint schemes, but AFAIK none branded Brompton or using Brompton's font (both trademarked).

There are any number of unauthorized t-shirts available on the internet bearing Brompton logos and graphics. Apparently, Brompton allows that for the advertising value they get from it (?).

Brompton did have that well-documented trouble with jackleg subcontractor Neobike back in the 1990s. IIRC even Neobike's owners' manual was a photocopy of the Brompton owners' manual!

Fun fact: As Andrew Ritchie started negotiations with Eurotai to build Neobike-Bromptons in Taiwan, Dr. Hon called him up and said, "You don't want to do business with those guys." In a decision that would haunt Brompton for over a decade, that advice was dismissed.
I've read all of this, 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. My bad.
Likes For jdogg111:
Old 08-05-23, 11:53 AM
jfouellette

A useful urban folder
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 08-06-23, 07:15 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Here is my trifold bike from Litepro. Basically 1/3 the price of a genuine Brompton.
How did you order it from Canada, and how much did you pay total (bike + shipping + duty + sales tax)?
Old 08-06-23, 08:30 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I wander why people call Brompton copies as clones but Rolex clones as homage? Here is example of homage watches. Also a clone Brompton is considered as bad thing while Rolex clones, called homage watches are fine.
Brompton’s folding bike patent expired a long time ago (in 1999), though Brompton have been in court trying to prevent other makers from using their design claiming that their bicycle design is “copyrighted.” Their argument is that their design drawings were copyrighted when the bicycle was designed, and anyone using written plans similar to those made by Brompton are infringing on Brompton’s copyright.

It’s not likely that Brompton will prevail in the long run, and makers in Asia have been producing their own versions for a long time. I can find many Brompton-type bikes here in Japan which sell for much less than the real thing, and many of them are technologically superior. You can get a Brompton-type bike with disk brakes, conventional drivelines using off-the-shelf parts, etc. I dislike the idea of using a copyright in place of a patent to extend ownership of a design almost indefinitely; patents are not permanent as it could give corporations virtual monopolies on a wide range of products.
Old 08-06-23, 08:32 AM
jfouellette

Originally Posted by Winfried
How did you order it from Canada, and how much did you pay total (bike + shipping + duty + sales tax)?
Hello, I ordered it from the Litepro web site. It was on sale with shipping included. The sale is still active I believe. It took about three weeks to arrive. The final price was about CA$850. The folding pedals need to be replaced since they are plastic and bend under load. I spent about $125 to improve the bike. Beer wasn’t included.

Last edited by jfouellette; 08-06-23 at 05:29 PM.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 08-06-23, 12:10 PM
Winfried

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Their argument is that their design drawings were copyrighted when the bicycle was designed, and anyone using written plans similar to those made by Brompton are infringing on Brompton’s copyright.
I find this odd.

If someone makes a 100% copy of a Porsche with just their name on it, it's unlikely Porsche won't win in court. Regardless of the technical considerations (eg. folding), the product has to be physically different enough that consumers can tell them apart.

For instance, compare the Brompton with Dahon's Curl. They're clearly different enough so that Dahon can sell them in Europe and North America:

Old 08-06-23, 01:44 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Not really...

OK, so I am super, super late to the party (this discussion), but I feel I have to add my 2 cents. When it comes to watches, most of the time, the seller doesn't acknowledge the original designer. In fact, it would be detrimental to the sales of the "homage" to do so, being that the serious watch community is so militant about wanting to keep the purity of the hobby. Yes, to many, that is what it is though I suspect it's more about status than anything else. Look at me (my fancy expensive Rolex), I have "arrived".

The bike world is somewhat more forgiving and mentioning that a Brompton look alike is in fact a clone or copy is more widely accepted. That said, the term "homage" isn't out of place in this too except that sounds wieird since many in this community are not to used to it. Saying that a bike is based on the Brompton's design is actually a good thing unless you're a hardcore fanboy of the brand and find it offensive.

We also know that outside the EU, there is nothing Brompton can do about these clones since the patents expired a while ago. Like it or not, anyone who creates a Brompton clone doesn't have to pay the company any royalties or other so called "licensing fees". That's business folks. Live goes on.

Last edited by edwong3; 08-10-23 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-06-23, 05:03 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by edwong3
OK, so I am super, super late to the party (this discussion), but I feel I have to add my 2 cents. When it comes to watches, most of the time, the seller doesn't acknowledge the original designer. In fact, it would be detrimental to the sales of the "homage" to do so, being that the serious watch community is so militant about wanting to keep the purity of the hobby. Yes, to many, that is what it is though I suspect it's more about status than anything else. Look at me (my fancy expensive Rolex), I have "arrived".

The bike world is somewhat more forgiving and mentioning that a Brompton look alike is in fact a clone or copy is more widely accepted. That said, the term "homage" isn't out of place in this too except that sounds wieird since many in this community are not to used to it. Saying that a bike is based on the Brompton's design is actually a good thing unless you're a hardcore fanboy of the brand and find it offensive.

We also know that outside the EU, there is nothing Brompton can do about these clones since the patents expired a while ago. Like it or not, anyone who creates a Brompton clone doesn't have to pay the company any royalties or other so called "licensing fees". That's business folks. Live goes on.
Please DO NOT QUOTE ME IN THIS THREAD. I do not wish to be a part of the discussion.
Old 08-06-23, 05:37 PM
jfouellette

The problems I had with the derailleur, were caused by a broken part named the dog leg. I replaced it with a better one. The shifter was indexed which was just to complicated for the two gear. I use a Shimano friction shifter and all is good now, I have six speeds. The three speed StrumeybArcher hub complements the bikes well for urban use with few hills.
Old 08-07-23, 01:50 AM
Winfried

Brompton's pre-2017 derailleur shifter doesn't work with the Litepro clone?

What Shimano friction shifter did you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.