Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to remove stuck dropout screw?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How to remove stuck dropout screw?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 07:38 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
HSS or Cobalt HSS Drills

Originally Posted by cdmurphy
Those are solid carbide "circuit board" drills. They're designed to be run at ungodly speeds in precision spindles for printed circuit board production (100,000+ rpm)

The trouble is, they're extremely delicate. I've never been able to use any but the largest by hand in a Dremel without snapping them off. You would be much better served using high speed steel (hss) or cobalt drill bits. Much tougher, and more than hard enough for drilling out screws. Try McMaster-Carr for a large selection of drill bits, and fast shipping.

That being said, it's still a very dicey operation, especially if you're not very skilled, and lucky. (I'm a machinist by trade, and I doubt I'd have more than a 50% chance of drilling one out without just making it worse.)
Those circuit board drills are very brittle and when you break one off you are screwed in the screw.

A 1mm or 1.5mm or 1/16" drill works much better.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 10-03-18 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-28-18, 07:32 AM
Ct03911

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I too recently had this issue on a ‘72 Witcomb. My efforts with mild heat (worried about surrounding paint) and pb blaster etc were no good.
I tried the needle nose vice grips. No good. After successive failures I ended up with no screw protruding on the outside of the dropout and only maybe 1/4” left showing on the inside.
I went to Moroso Performance Products in Guilford, CT. Famous hi end auto parts manufacturer.
They welded a nut on that exposed thread and it promptly broke off flush when we put a wrench on it.
They put the bike upside down in position on a bench drill and began a very deliberate drill process.
They marked the entry and exit holes to get the dropout lined up precisely.
Then, a special starter drill bit. Don’t recall the name but very fine tip on a beefy bit so it won’t wander.
That did a pilot hole.
Next, with cooling fluid, ran a #49 bit thru perfectly and followed with a #38 I believe it was. I think that’s about a 2.5mm bit.
The entry and exit holes were exact.
Finally they used the same drill and setup but switched to a 3mm tap. That was carefully worked thru the hole and I had a perfectly repaired bike.
At no time did the original screw come out. Clean metal came out on the initial drilling but then just rusty filings as they got deeper into the lug.
That screw was never coming out without a drill.
Rick Moroso owns the place, Paul Minore did the work. Incredible job! Disclaimer: I know these guys, are friends with them and use their parts etc. that is why I trusted them in the first place. They are meticulous to an insane degree.

Likes For Ct03911:
Old 09-28-18, 07:45 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Wow.
I need friends like THAT!!!
Old 09-28-18, 09:13 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
congrats!!!

man cudda used a friend like that a cpl years ago when I broke off the nut from a bolt holding my Subaru rear hatch support bracket. took me weeks to get the right parts & do the job by hand. I was eventually able to extract my bolt tho. doing it by hand was hard but I had a little more meat to work with

Old 09-28-18, 09:22 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Wow.
I need friends like THAT!!!
+1; we all do.

I always thought of Moroso as just another "sticker brand", you see on dudes' windows, and MAYBE their tool boxes. Nice to see there's a real family name, and an old-school craft skill and work/solution ethic behind it. I'll look at those stickers differently now.
Old 09-28-18, 10:06 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Update-

I used a small drill bit to bore out a little of the head of the screw. Then used a reverse threaded extracting bit and it immediately dug into the screw and wound it out.

ended up being a molehill when I thought it was a mountain.

2min job. Fantastic.
Well done.

I can assure you removing small stuck screws with an easy out doesn't always go that well, but as you found out, sometimes it does.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 09-28-18 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-28-18, 11:22 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^ "Easy out" - rarely easy, and often NOT out.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 09-28-18, 08:51 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
True that. Generally, easy outs are great for removing screws or studs that are just barely stuck. Unfortunately, that describes about 0.0001% of the jobs where you might be temped to use one. :-(
Old 09-29-18, 10:41 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,385 Times in 3,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Ct03911
I too recently had this issue on a ‘72 Witcomb. My efforts with mild heat (worried about surrounding paint) and pb blaster etc were no good.
I tried the needle nose vice grips. No good. After successive failures I ended up with no screw protruding on the outside of the dropout and only maybe 1/4” left showing on the inside.
I went to Moroso Performance Products in Guilford, CT. Famous hi end auto parts manufacturer.
They welded a nut on that exposed thread and it promptly broke off flush when we put a wrench on it.
They put the bike upside down in position on a bench drill and began a very deliberate drill process.
They marked the entry and exit holes to get the dropout lined up precisely.
Then, a special starter drill bit. Don’t recall the name but very fine tip on a beefy bit so it won’t wander.
That did a pilot hole.
Next, with cooling fluid, ran a #49 bit thru perfectly and followed with a #38 I believe it was. I think that’s about a 2.5mm bit.
The entry and exit holes were exact.
Finally they used the same drill and setup but switched to a 3mm tap. That was carefully worked thru the hole and I had a perfectly repaired bike.
At no time did the original screw come out. Clean metal came out on the initial drilling but then just rusty filings as they got deeper into the lug.
That screw was never coming out without a drill.
Rick Moroso owns the place, Paul Minore did the work. Incredible job! Disclaimer: I know these guys, are friends with them and use their parts etc. that is why I trusted them in the first place. They are meticulous to an insane degree.

Insane and meticulous are SOP for these guys, that's how you win an untold amount of races and make one of the most recognizable company names in the business.

They can do stuff like this in their sleep, lucky you to have them for help.
Old 09-29-18, 12:42 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,996 Posts
Only thing I would have done diff' would be to use a short drill for the first pass. I just worry about bit wander.

Makes me really want to pursue buying a used Bridgeport vertical mill... just so useful.
Old 01-30-21, 01:37 PM
degoydegoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for this thread, saved my expensive vintage frame!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. You helped me save a very expensive vintage titanium frame.

One screw came out easy, but in my impatience and inexperience I rounded out the head of the other. I soaked it in liquid wrench for about 2 days, then heated it in a open oven until it was warm but not hot, quickly cut a new slot with a hacksaw with an old blade, and the screw came out really easy.

Now I can fit the 25c tires I'd been hoping for.

Thanks again, you're awesome!
Old 01-30-21, 02:42 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
I’ve broken off a couple DO Screws in my 40 yrs of wrenching, but managed to remove them w/o too much trouble.
This new frame I got, came w/o any DO Screws, so I wasn’t going to take any chances w/ cheapo screws.
Found these SS one’s from the UK ata reasonable cost. Lubed threm up & they went right in...surprisingly!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S....m46890.l49292
Likes For 1 Lugnut:
Old 01-30-21, 04:20 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Left-hand drill bits usually work, one way or another.
Old 01-30-21, 04:35 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
I’ve broken off a couple DO Screws in my 40 yrs of wrenching, but managed to remove them w/o too much trouble.
This new frame I got, came w/o any DO Screws, so I wasn’t going to take any chances w/ cheapo screws.
After buying a frame in your situation and then snapping off a new screw in the gunked-up hole, I now re-tap the hole before attempting to screw in an adjustment bolt. Got to use the cutting a slot and to unscrew it method...
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-30-21, 05:43 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 962 Posts
I broke a dropout screw installed and successfully extracted it by drilling, with my Milwaukee, a hole through the broken and then epoxied a spoke in the recess and was able to twist it

out.

Was I one happy camper.
Old 01-30-21, 05:56 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Originally Posted by mountaindave
After buying a frame in your situation and then snapping off a new screw in the gunked-up hole, I now re-tap the hole before attempting to screw in an adjustment bolt. Got to use the cutting a slot and to unscrew it method...
I’ll usually do that, but could not find my 3mm tap & the hardwr store was sold out of them.
Instead, I bought some 3mm machine screws to see if the d/o holes we’re ok to be fitted. With a little tri-flo, they went right without binding up the threads.
They were just temps till the SS srcrews came in the Mail. But thx, worthwhile info for others!
Likes For 1 Lugnut:
Old 01-30-21, 06:13 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
So many ways to skin a cat!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-30-21, 07:03 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
You can buy left hand drill bits that are used for drilling out broken off screws or bolts. You use them with an electric drill turning counter clockwise. I haven't tried them but it sounds like a good idea.
Old 01-30-21, 07:22 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I have had those left-hand drills work for me! Helps if you get it really centered, usually by going clockwise using a center drill (that's the stubby drill with a fine point that was used at the shop in an earlier post).

I refuse to buy easy-outs. I understand that there's probably a bias on the internet toward stories of frustration (when you win, you celebrate, and when you lose, you complain), but it is hard to believe in a technology when "it doesn't work" is 80% of what you hear.

I do wonder if they'd work if you got them all set up right with a milling machine and a centering cone with a tap handle - but if you have the part a milling machine, why not just use an endmill to cut down through the buggered screw at that point?
Old 01-31-21, 05:19 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Well done, glad you got it out so easily!! The worst broken bolt I've had to remove from a frame was a stainless bolt I had stupidly tried to torque into a dropout eyelet before chasing it properly after being powder coated. I broke an extractor as well, which got stuck inside the bolt, it wasn't fun. I eventually drilled it out and chased the threads. I then invested in a set of taps and use them religiously when building up any bike!

This is all that remained of the bolt when it finally came out:

Likes For southpawboston:
Old 01-31-21, 08:34 PM
degoydegoy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Found these SS one’s from the UK ata reasonable cost. Lubed threm up & they went right in...surprisingly!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S....m46890.l49292
I'm wondering if I actually need new screws? When the axle is pushed back as far as it can go I can barely fit 25s (I know it's a vintage frame so I can't complain haha). If I do decide to get new screws I'll take a look at that listing, thanks.

Beautiful bike from what I can see of it!
Old 01-31-21, 08:37 PM
degoydegoy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I broke a dropout screw installed and successfully extracted it by drilling, with my Milwaukee, a hole through the broken and then epoxied a spoke in the recess and was able to twist it

out.

Was I one happy camper.
I'd seen people recommend welding a new screw head on, which is beyond my abilities. But the glued on spoke method seems like a great idea if I encounter this again
Old 01-31-21, 08:43 PM
degoydegoy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hobbiano
You can buy left hand drill bits that are used for drilling out broken off screws or bolts. You use them with an electric drill turning counter clockwise. I haven't tried them but it sounds like a good idea.
I had one of those ready to go, freshly delivered from Amazon, but it was too short to reach the screw, the drill would bump against the dropout ends, and I don't have any sort of extender. Lucky I had a hacksaw and the wisdom of this forum
Old 01-31-21, 08:45 PM
degoydegoy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by southpawboston
Well done, glad you got it out so easily!! The worst broken bolt I've had to remove from a frame was a stainless bolt I had stupidly tried to torque into a dropout eyelet before chasing it properly after being powder coated. I broke an extractor as well, which got stuck inside the bolt, it wasn't fun. I eventually drilled it out and chased the threads. I then invested in a set of taps and use them religiously when building up any bike!

This is all that remained of the bolt when it finally came out:

Yeah, I couldn't believe it was so easy, I was so happy when it just came right out after several days of worrying about ruining an expensive frame!
Old 01-31-21, 09:02 PM
1 Lugnut

Originally Posted by degoydegoy
Beautiful bike from what I can see of it!
Thx DgDgy,
Here’s a little more of it. 👀
I’ve sent the fork out 2B chromed. It’ll be a couple weeks before I can finish the build. In the meantime, I went ahead & polished a few parts to enhance the bling 😎 It’s a Swiss Titan frame, but was made in Italy sometime in the 80’s...

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 01-31-21 at 09:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.