Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Queens to Mystic

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Queens to Mystic

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 05:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Why are we doing a marathon. The OP was asking about a bike ride.

If the OP is fit, they can do it based on the little info given. If the OP isn't fit, they'll just have an incomplete ride. Why should all of us assume that the OP can't do it? Or provide an over abundance of caution when they have not asked for more particulars.

The only info they gave the might cast some reservation is that they mentioned elevation. And that isn't a factor for a trip from Astoria NY to Mystic CT.

My vote is that the OP visit the Mystic Seaport Museum first.
People sometimes use analogies to make points.

Not all of us assume the OP can't do it. Most of us say the opposite...
Old 09-02-20, 06:13 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
The obvious question here is what is the backup plan if you can't make it? Is there someone that will come get you if you are thrashed at the 80-90 mile point and can't handle the rest? If someone is on hand to come get you and you don't mind waiting along the road for however long that might take, give it a go and report back.
Old 09-02-20, 06:42 PM
novicenyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride an average about 500 miles a month depending on weather and such for last 6 months
Old 09-02-20, 09:39 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by novicenyer
I ride an average about 500 miles a month depending on weather and such for last 6 months
People here clearly have diverse opinions on your proposition, but here's mine. You can do it, but it's going to hurt. The emphasis on nutrition and hydration that people have expressed is important, but in my experience, significant cramping is not simply solved by getting those right when you don't have the conditioning. Going that far beyond your normal training envelope is going to challenge your legs and your endurance.

I'm not telling you you shouldn't do it. You'll survive and you'll have a great sense of accomplishment afterwards. But be warned, there's a pretty good likelihood that you are going to be in the pain cave for the last 20-50 miles.
Old 09-03-20, 04:47 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by novicenyer
Can you increase that, like maybe double it, in the month or two before the event? If you do, you'll have a much more enjoyable ride.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-03-20, 11:54 AM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
I live in Fairfield CT so the terrain in CT will be mostly flat to easy rolling hills if you're riding parallel to the coast on Route 1 the whole way north. The bigger question is how comfortable are you with riding on busy roads with lots of traffic, especially if you're departing from Astoria and have to cross one of the bridges.The distance won't be a problem for you, but don't expect wide open roads with no traffic. Good luck!
Likes For Chubby715:
Old 09-03-20, 07:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Right, cycling is even easier. You can coast your way through significant percentages of a ride if you were so inclined. As I said above, it's cool like that. Makes 100+ miles really not that big a deal.
Yeah, I guess I went off on a tangent about a distinction that doesn't apply as long as you have a well fitting bike, so not relevant at all. My bad.
Old 09-04-20, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Right, cycling is even easier. You can coast your way through significant percentages of a ride if you were so inclined. ........
Pun? Double entendre? Or unrealized genius of phrasing?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-05-20, 01:18 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubby715
I live in Fairfield CT so the terrain in CT will be mostly flat to easy rolling hills if you're riding parallel to the coast on Route 1 the whole way north. The bigger question is how comfortable are you with riding on busy roads with lots of traffic, especially if you're departing from Astoria and have to cross one of the bridges.The distance won't be a problem for you, but don't expect wide open roads with no traffic. Good luck!
+1 I also live in CT.
Old 09-08-20, 11:39 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Paleeese................I did the Solvang Century after I got out of the Army with 2 weeks of "training" (riding 15 miles on a good day).

It really sucked after around 60 miles, but Ranger School was worse, so it was doable. It's all in your head.

ETA- It really, really sucked after 60
Old 09-09-20, 04:59 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I just did my first century (102.4mi) with about 4000ft of elevation gain/loss. The longest ride I had done before was maybe 40ish and I had originally intended to do 70 but I got rerouted a couple of times and by the time I got back, I realized I may as well try for 100.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I had brought along some bars and gels which I ended up only eating half of them. I also did stop at a gas station for a bag of chips and a Gatorade and a couple other stops for coffee/water. At around 80 miles, I did stop by a friend's and was fed, so I guess there were some breaks in between (not a true century perhaps).

I found that I wasn't in too much pain and I was mostly fine but just exhausted the next day. Legs were fine but knees did not want to pedal and there was a bit of numbness on my right foot which has gone away. At around 60 miles, I did not want to sit on the seat anymore and it was the saddle and my ass that was really the worst part but somehow that went away and it was fine a couple of days later.

If you're planning to bike to Mystic, I would just make sure you have the option of jumping onto the Metronorth or getting someone to pick you up if you do find yourself not able to do the whole journey but I think it's probably very doable if you're fit and already have done 80+. I felt like after I hit 100, I could have kept going but it was already pretty dark out and I didn't have a particularly interesting route left or a specific goal in mind so I just went home.

Good luck and keep us informed!
Old 09-10-20, 08:57 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I think it's doable provided you pace yourself and fuel properly, as well as get some longer rides in before the ride. I did a double century (208 miles actually) last summer and my longest ride leading up to it was 120 miles. But, that 120 miles had more climbing than the actual double. And up until I tapered, I was averaging between 200-300 miles/week. Two weeks after lockdown restrictions eased in the UK, I went out for a 115 miler having not done anything more than 65 over lockdown. Pacing and fuelling are key, as well as being prepared for some discomfort. Good luck
Old 09-10-20, 10:21 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,224 Posts
Why not break it in half and enjoy the ride?