Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Putting the Parts Before the Horse

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Putting the Parts Before the Horse

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 09:05 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
To answer the first question, I have collected parts opportunistically, not always with a specific target bike in mind. Case in point = SunTour barcons.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 04-08-22, 09:21 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
+1 for the thread title.
Old 04-08-22, 11:49 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Yeah, I thought about one of those. I even looked at their website. As you know, I've always admired yours. Ultimately, I just balked at the price, especially for a saddle that I don't know I'll find comfortable.
Or you could raise the bar and have @rhm make you a custom saddle, perhaps a Kaylor or a Kayloiux?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-08-22, 12:06 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Cart before horse....

Many times.

Because then your mind is freed to be in "open" mode for a frame.
It's more satisfying, I think, than having a frame and then looking for parts.
The possibilities certainly seem less restricted when the frame decision is "out there."

I think many here possess that build "vision" thing, that takes shape over time, flexible but moving in at least a direction.
I doubt I'm alone in fully expecting the vision to revamp, but generally it just clarifies itself, and gets better (or easier to rationalize).

As I come to certainly the end of my C&V days, if not cycling in general, I'm finding myself on the opposite trajectory.
I'm selling my bikes, but the components in many cases are more dear to me than the frames are.
It seems to be easier to let go of frames than carefully collected groups and their wheels.
Just as hope springs eternal..... it's hard NOT to hang onto to a group for that "just in case" frame I've not thought of.
(this while sliding down the slope to no more bikes, or maybe just one that can do road and gravel, if asked)

Of course, sometimes a bike pops up, and a relapse occurs.
Doo Doo does happen.
Old 04-08-22, 06:08 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Usually I get the frame and dream up something from there.

I did stumble across this fabulous Stronglight crankset on eBay one night and snatched it up, then had to wait fir the right project to come along. I almost nabbed a nice Presto Mixtie but that deal fell through and I got this Batavus instead. Then it was off to races to find black stuff.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 04-09-22, 11:05 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
The new brakes got here today. That's better.

Old 04-10-22, 12:47 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Sometimes … one’s eyes&desires exceed one’s ability to eat all the candy.
Eyes bigger than the stomach. It’s incurable I tell you. Best way i’ve found is to build quickly or else the project keeps evolving, driving an endless cycle of acquisition. Ten years later....
Old 04-10-22, 01:15 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
I am the worst of both worlds...
1. Step one buy parts with frame in back of mind.
2. Buy frame with parts in mind.
3. Decide 1 and 2 don’t mesh.
4 buy more frames and parts.
5. have a poop-tonne of parts and frames that land on a queue.
6. Watch parts mature and frames gather dust.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-13-22, 05:00 PM
Andy_K 

I got the frame yesterday, and it looks like I might need to do something to build up a bit of patina on my parts.

I think I can divulge at this time that I bought this frame from @Force. From the pictures and description he shared, it seemed the frame had its original paint and decals. In some of the pictures the paint looked bright white (as white paint tends to do in pictures). In other pictures, it looked a bit yellow around the edges. I was thinking, "I can probably polish that up and get it looking like new." But when I unpacked it yesterday, it became clear that I had a genuine dilemma on my hands. Yes, it's original paint in astoundingly good condition. On the other hand, it has the kind of beautiful patina that makes you understand why rust and scratches are NOT patina. I took a picture in poor lighting, hoping that would keep the bright white from shining through so I could share what I'm talking about.

(Yes, my garage really is this much of a mess all the time.)

On my monitor you can kind of see it. On yours, who knows? It has that look where when you're looking at it in person you wonder if it's white, ivory, cream, or something else. @gugie has a 1948 Peugeot that perfectly exemplifies this look. This one isn't quite that rich, but give it another 15-20 years and it could be. It's going to be nervous work cleaning the dirt that collected around the old clamp-on parts, because one spot of over zealous scrubbing and I could have to polish the whole thing and lose this look.

Based on what I've been able to find online, I'm guessing this is a 1966 PX-10 Super Deluxe. I could be off by a few years in either direction.

There are some nice stickers. I'll share more later, but for now here are the original decorations. I can only assume that 50 year old Reynolds decals that are still readable and mostly intact means that this has been stored in a sealed, climate-controlled environment for most of its life.

Drive side-facing the sun?

As you'd expect with a bike of this age, there are some problems to be corrected. First, as previously noted, the derailleur hanger had been chopped off.

When @Force sent it to me, the stem was stuck due to a stripped bolt head. That came out pretty easily with a rotary tool and a screwdriver, but what I found when I peered inside the headset is a bit concerning.

Broken off threads with barely enough left to hold the locknut. Forget about the brake cable hanger I need to put in there. Alas, as with the derailleur hanger, "I know a guy."

Finally, the seatpost opening is quite ovalized. I got a 26.2 post in there, but I don't think that's the right size, and there's a distinct gap on either side of the post -- big enough that I can slide a piece of paper in there.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that's not the original binder bolt.

Last picture for now, there's some kind of thin metal sleeve in the bottom bracket. I don't know what that's about, but it feels like it will slide out if I can grab it with my needle nose pliers.

Old 04-13-22, 05:24 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
That is so cool.

The 58 Paramount was a similar challenge, I think you have more work cut out for you.

Popsicle and wooden cuticle sticks were the ticket for me with dish soap, the popsicle sticks can be easily broken down to get the size and shape to get into tight spots with less damage.

Last edited by merziac; 04-13-22 at 05:30 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-13-22, 05:53 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I got the frame yesterday, and it looks like I might need to do something to build up a bit of patina on my parts.

I think I can divulge at this time that I bought this frame from @Force. From the pictures and description he shared, it seemed the frame had its original paint and decals. In some of the pictures the paint looked bright white (as white paint tends to do in pictures). In other pictures, it looked a bit yellow around the edges. I was thinking, "I can probably polish that up and get it looking like new." But when I unpacked it yesterday, it became clear that I had a genuine dilemma on my hands. Yes, it's original paint in astoundingly good condition. On the other hand, it has the kind of beautiful patina that makes you understand why rust and scratches are NOT patina. I took a picture in poor lighting, hoping that would keep the bright white from shining through so I could share what I'm talking about.

(Yes, my garage really is this much of a mess all the time.)

On my monitor you can kind of see it. On yours, who knows? It has that look where when you're looking at it in person you wonder if it's white, ivory, cream, or something else. @gugie has a 1948 Peugeot that perfectly exemplifies this look. This one isn't quite that rich, but give it another 15-20 years and it could be. It's going to be nervous work cleaning the dirt that collected around the old clamp-on parts, because one spot of over zealous scrubbing and I could have to polish the whole thing and lose this look.

Based on what I've been able to find online, I'm guessing this is a 1966 PX-10 Super Deluxe. I could be off by a few years in either direction.

There are some nice stickers. I'll share more later, but for now here are the original decorations. I can only assume that 50 year old Reynolds decals that are still readable and mostly intact means that this has been stored in a sealed, climate-controlled environment for most of its life.

Drive side-facing the sun?

As you'd expect with a bike of this age, there are some problems to be corrected. First, as previously noted, the derailleur hanger had been chopped off.

When @Force sent it to me, the stem was stuck due to a stripped bolt head. That came out pretty easily with a rotary tool and a screwdriver, but what I found when I peered inside the headset is a bit concerning.

Broken off threads with barely enough left to hold the locknut. Forget about the brake cable hanger I need to put in there. Alas, as with the derailleur hanger, "I know a guy."

Finally, the seatpost opening is quite ovalized. I got a 26.2 post in there, but I don't think that's the right size, and there's a distinct gap on either side of the post -- big enough that I can slide a piece of paper in there.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that's not the original binder bolt.

Last picture for now, there's some kind of thin metal sleeve in the bottom bracket. I don't know what that's about, but it feels like it will slide out if I can grab it with my needle nose pliers.

this is going to be fun with watching the fixes and parts selection/build

Old 04-13-22, 06:32 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Nice looking P frame Andy. Last night I spied a px10 fork on ebay, claimed to be NOS. Don't remember if seller said what size. Hope it doesn't come to that of course.
Old 04-14-22, 12:01 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Nice looking P frame Andy. Last night I spied a px10 fork on ebay, claimed to be NOS. Don't remember if seller said what size. Hope it doesn't come to that of course.
I just looked it up. It's even got the right crown, but the steerer isn't long enough.
Old 04-14-22, 07:59 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Eagerly anticipate results of your "Joining" session. The esthetic of polished, vintage parts upon such an exquisite patina is like a fine wine. Don
Old 04-16-22, 03:01 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Do you ever have times when you get so excited about a build that you start gathering parts before you even have the frame? I don't mean just looking through your parts bin and putting things aside. I mean actually buying parts that you didn't already have.

I've had an idea kicking around in my head for a while now for a build I'd like to do. I knew what parts I wanted and what frame I wanted them to go with. Then recently a BF member made the frame I was looking for available. Before the deal was even finished, I started shopping for the parts. I couldn't help myself. The deal is done now and the frame is on the way, so I hope I'll be sharing pics soon, but I bet you can guess what it is just from the parts. They aren't perfectly period correct for the age of the frame, but not too far off. I typically find "guess what's in the box" threads mildly annoying, but I feel like this one is pretty easy with the clues below.

The core of the build:

I wasn't entirely satisfied with these, so I've bought cleaner brakes that came with new levers and white hoods, but this is basically what it's going to be.

Mavic Module E rims with Normandy hubs. I might need to get some Rene Herse tires.

A 15-26 freewheel, because I like low gears

Not sticking with the purely French theme for the crankset (because I like low gears) but this should at least look right.

Have you seen how much you have to pay to get an Ideale saddle in decent condition? But since 1066, England has had a strong French influence, right?

So there you have my components. What's the frame?
I say this is a Peugeot touring bike with Reynolds 531, possibly a nice Gitane bike, 1971-1973, or possibly a nice Motobecane Touring bike. Nice and Gallic. Enjoy!!