Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Salsa Cutthroat for road use???

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 07:22 PM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I know that the Cutthroat was designed for RTD... And it's actually labeled as a drop bar mountain bike but, hss anyone seen a Cutthroat set up for road use, as well as Gravel? I just got my X-Night, and have only logged 19.5 miles on her but, I'm wondering if I need a more versatile bike? My X-Night only has one bottle cage, obviously I can wear a hydration pack or even run a saddle mounted bottle cage.... But I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that the Cutthroat is made for longer rides than my X-Night. I do love my Ridley, I just want a bike that I'll keep and ride for many years.

I'm also afraid, with the thin frame tubes they used to cut down on weight, since it's a race bike, that it will not be rugged enough for my 235lbs.

I'd like to hear everyone's input. Also, if you have seen a Cutthroat used as a road bike and gravel bike, please chime in.

I the meantime, I'll be riding the pics out of the X-Night and possibly stopping by one of the local Salsa dealer's for a look see.

Last edited by Drummerboy1975; 02-29-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 08:47 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Gravel road/adventure bikes are true all rounders. They can be used for any application and lend themselves to riding in any environment and can perform any task they're called upon to do.
Old 03-01-16, 10:49 AM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Salsa Cutthroat is a really nice bike, I've looked at them myself and if Salsa would allow online ordering I would probably get one. Something like that with the ability to accept full 29er tires and nice low gears is much better suited to tackle any terrain than most "gravel" bikes.

I don't see how it would be too slow on pavement with some tighter tread tires(it includes such tires). I rider my 29er MTB on pavement all the time and only average about 1-2 miles per hour slower than my road bike.
Old 03-02-16, 01:34 PM
allroader55

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975
I know that the Cutthroat was designed for RTD... And it's actually labeled as a drop bar mountain bike but, hss anyone seen a Cutthroat set up for road use, as well as Gravel? I just got my X-Night, and have only logged 19.5 miles on her but, I'm wondering if I need a more versatile bike? My X-Night only has one bottle cage, obviously I can wear a hydration pack or even run a saddle mounted bottle cage.... But I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that the Cutthroat is made for longer rides than my X-Night. I do love my Ridley, I just want a bike that I'll keep and ride for many years.

I'm also afraid, with the thin frame tubes they used to cut down on weight, since it's a race bike, that it will not be rugged enough for my 235lbs.

I'd like to hear everyone's input. Also, if you have seen a Cutthroat used as a road bike and gravel bike, please chime in.

I the meantime, I'll be riding the pics out of the X-Night and possibly stopping by one of the local Salsa dealer's for a look see.
It's geometry is not that far off from an endurance road bike or some touring bikes. The big differences are that it has a very high stack for a relaxed position, so if you are looking to drop the bars down into an aggressive road racing profile it will have limits. Also, it has a longer chainstay than most road endurance bikes, but it is on order of or shorter than many touring bikes.

You can ride it on the road, especially if you are thinking 32-33c or 38c tires. The biggest issue will be the gearing and drivetrain, which is MTB. You will spin out somewhere between 25-30 mph on either offered drivetrain, and the top end gear spacing on 1X can be really unpleasant for riders that like to keep a high cadence with tightly spaced cogs and not pedal mash.
Old 03-02-16, 01:49 PM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Very good info. I believe I'll stick with my X-Night.
Old 03-02-16, 02:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
You shouldn't try to use a "gravel bike" on pavement. The sheer quantity of traction could break the frame into a million pieces. *

* no not really
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-02-16, 02:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My X-Night only has one bottle cage, obviously I can wear a hydration pack or even run a saddle mounted bottle cage....
I'm sure this is a minor point for you, but since you brought it up, I'll share what works for me: a Sawyer Mini water filter. They cost $15 to $25 depending where you shop and weigh 2 to 3 oz. You can fit one in your pocket. You can drink from a river, creek, or lake and not get giardiasis.

You can even put one inline in a hydration pack, so that you just fill the bladder from a creek and then drink through the hose, but I've never tried that.

I personally just carry mine in a pocket (when I'm riding out in the boonies) and refill my water bottle(s) as needed. I've been using one for years as a backpacker, and as a road cyclist in places where I won't find stores, like the North Cascades Highway.

As long as there will be water sources on the ride, and a good map will confirm that, you can carry less of the stuff knowing you'll be able to fill back up.
Old 06-12-23, 05:04 PM
0ne

Bikes: Novara, Schwinn, Scott, Motobecane, Trek

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2021 Cutthroat grx 600 i ride currently 100% on road. I have ThickSlicks front and rear, Revelate Designs full frame bag converted to full bolt on, a RD harness and tank bag and other odds and ends. The tires look great, and more importanly ride very well but they aren't as durable as previously thought. I live and ride in Los Angeles and the roads are covered in broken glass, and all types of hazards. Ive been taken out by goat heads and thumb tacs. I also tow a trailer and carry a dog so the cutthroat is very good for a lot of things. With simple mods you can make it perform wrll on just about any surface.
Old 06-12-23, 05:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider125
The Salsa Cutthroat is a really nice bike, I've looked at them myself and if Salsa would allow online ordering I would probably get one. Something like that with the ability to accept full 29er tires and nice low gears is much better suited to tackle any terrain than most "gravel" bikes.

You can get some versions of it via REI.
Old 06-13-23, 12:50 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
For road riding I would go with the Ridley.