Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Quality direct to consumer dual suspension XC frames?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 10:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts

I don't see this coming up much but I'm looking to replace my 7yo hardtail with a dual suspension but the typical shop brands seem so overpriced for what you get. Looking at trek it seems that their cheapest is over 2500 but also about 35lbs and and even clearing 3000 still leaves you with a 35lb wonder. It seems like for 3k it would be possible to build something nicer and better, but I'm not sure who makes a decent dual suspension frame that could be built up. I did see trifox, which is advertised on this site but haven't seen any real world reviews, but what else could be out there? For those who say building a bike costs more than buying complete, I have never found that to be the case on a one for one basis.
Old 03-18-24, 09:28 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
This is one of the best times ever to purchase a bike IMO. My son just bought a FS Intense carbon MTB from COSTCO for $1799 (plus tax in fruits and nuts CA); it has Fox suspension front and rear Shimano or SRAM drivetrain and brakes, Maxis tires (I think). Well, you get it, very capable. I've built many bikes piece by piece, but can't beat that combo.
Old 03-18-24, 11:32 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
Maybe bikesdirect? Though it’s been awhile since I’ve checked their offerings. Keep in mind that full sus bikes require a fair amount of maintenance if you ride a lot, so having a good shop around that can service suspension, etc. is valuable in itself. Also, replacing things like proprietary fasteners and bushings in MTB frames can get tricky with some brands, so do your research.
Old 03-28-24, 12:22 AM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
I just got my second polygon D7 from bikes direct. It is on sale right now for $1349. They have more expensive options that get into the higher end Fox stuff also.
Old 03-30-24, 10:13 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I don't see this coming up much but I'm looking to replace my 7yo hardtail with a dual suspension but the typical shop brands seem so overpriced for what you get. Looking at trek it seems that their cheapest is over 2500 but also about 35lbs and and even clearing 3000 still leaves you with a 35lb wonder. It seems like for 3k it would be possible to build something nicer and better, but I'm not sure who makes a decent dual suspension frame that could be built up. I did see trifox, which is advertised on this site but haven't seen any real world reviews, but what else could be out there? For those who say building a bike costs more than buying complete, I have never found that to be the case on a one for one basis.
If you're willing to look at complete bikes, Cervelo has been having some good deals recently. I've been seeing the ZFS-5 being advertised for 3400, and it's normally a $5k+ bike. 120mm fork and Sram GX mechanical, it's a good deal even compared to consumer direct brands IMO.

No advertised weight specs, but I'd imagine the 120mm GX bike would be less than 26lbs. I own it's cousin, the Santa Cruz Blur, and the equivalent Blur is 26lbs...the Cervelo has an even lighter frame. I'd say the only thing I don't really like about the spec on that bike, is it doesn't include a dropper post from the factory, but that's an easy enough problem to remedy.

https://mikesbikes.com/collections/c...o-zfs-5-120-gx
Old 03-30-24, 10:27 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I'm in agreement on the Cervelo, and COSTCO has increased the price of the 28 pound Intense by $1,000 (my son purchased one at the lower price), making the Cervelo an even more attractive consideration. AIR, there is a relatively recent thread initiated by a member who purchased one. If you are beset by a desire to DIY, maybe you can get a LBS with an overstock to dissemble a bike and sell you just the frame.
Old 03-31-24, 03:01 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
I've personally never dealt with Trifox but from what I've read they seem to typically have issues with fit and finish, and aren't responsive to the customer. Again, only what I've read. I just finished a build with a HongFu FM138 and I'm super happy with it! Other popular frames I was looking at were the Carbonda FM936 and FM909. If you're seriously considering direct from manufacturer Chinese carbon, check out the forum Chinertown. Lots of discussion about frames there.
Old 03-31-24, 06:44 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by 808HIcycler
I just got my second polygon D7 from bikes direct. It is on sale right now for $1349. They have more expensive options that get into the higher end Fox stuff also.
]

im loving my Levo (Specialized big travel e bike) but would really entertain their Collosus n8e if I were in the market for another. Compared to Specialized or Santa Cruz, it’s a deal at full list price due to the quality spec. 38mm Fox forks and Shimano XT vs 36mm and SCAM GX on my Levo, nice nice!

I have seen occasional sales where the price is even lower, but then again I didn’t pay retail for the Specialized either —— but I am still seriously impressed with what they are able to spec on the cheap - and although my comment is about the E-enduro bikes, I’m sure the same applies to the more conventional machines
Old 04-01-24, 12:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I'm on a Fezzari Signal Peak, the TR version, and I love it. Mine is 115/120 and feels more trail, but I have it configured like a XC bike and it's still pretty light/snappy. A buddy of mine has the regular signal peak (100/100) which has a bit more nimble geo and handling. Both are great bikes. I think they are called "Ari" now, so there may be some deals to be found on older Fezzari labeled stock.