Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Surly Cross Check - the end of an era.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 12:01 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Just came to my attention that the venerable Cross Check has been discontinued (something about supply chains and rim brake bikes......).
The CC was arguably the first "gravel bike", sorta, kinda. Sad to think it's not available any longer.
I'll always keep mine--it's a special bike and a great ride, not to mention a great project bike--mine has been in 4 different configurations over the years (currently drop bar singlespeed). I have a more "modern" gravel bike too, but the 'Check is one of a kind, and I always have a big smile on when I come back from riding it (and it takes a beating off road and handles in a way that belies how it looks).
I wonder if the used prices on these frames will start going up, as they are such a classic. I think you'll have to go much more expensive/boutique now if you want something similar.

Last edited by pbass; 09-22-23 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-22-23, 12:23 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I have the flat bar version. I love it ❤️ it and my LHT get 75% of my miles
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 09-22-23, 12:30 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by plumberroy
I have the flat bar version. I love it ❤️ it and my LHT get 75% of my miles
The LHT is gone now too it appears. No more rim brake bikes on Surly's site. Now you got me wanting to seek out a LHT frame.....
Old 09-22-23, 12:46 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Originally Posted by pbass
The LHT is gone now too it appears. No more rim brake bikes on Surly's site. Now you got me wanting to seek out a LHT frame.....
The Long Haul Trucker was my grail bike when I started getting to the point where I could afford a good bike. I wanted to build on up on an olive green frame. Well when I was about to buy the frame my job went away. (Plant closed) so I didn't buy it. 2008 was the last year for that color . Fast forward a couple years later I'm back on my feet. I had picked up a used like new Steamroller. I went into a local bike shop and found a new old stock olive green frame that they had started building the drivetrain on. After some haggling we came to a price. I had a few parts I had already bought and I had my olive green LHT
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 09-22-23, 02:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
The Surly Cross Check wasnt the first gravel frame and while it was a long lasting model in Surly's lineup, it was hardly some aspirational or highly coveted bike. It was a simple workhorse, no different from many similar steel blended function frames.
It was a bike that was clearly based on CX geometry from years ago.
- the bb drop was only like 65mm. what?
- the stack height was antiquated and required a lot of owners to run a goofy number of spacers, just like so many have to do with LHT/DT bikes.
- the reach was really quite long for the frame sizes and forced a lot of riders to either ride frames that was too small, which then forced a ton of spacers onto the steerer, or forced riders to use 35deg short length stems to offset the frame reach.

Its hardly surprising to see another rim brake frame killed off. At this point the highest level road group to still offer rim brake shifters is Tiagra.

If this means I see fewer CrossChecks with 80mm of spacers because people were suckered into buying an image rather than geometry that makes sense for them, I wont complain.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-23-23, 03:41 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
I had two Cross Checks, and I wouldn't mind another.

Yes, the stack is too low and the bottom bracket is too high. But so much of the bike works so well, I consider it something of a classic (Surly classics: 1x1, LHT, original Karate Monkey, Pugsley, CC)
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 09-23-23, 05:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't own a cross-check but it's still sad to see it go. Surly could of put disc brake mounts on it and keep it going....The bike industry has gone mad and insane with their so-called innovation...I am holding to my Surly 1x1 like it's gold.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-24-23, 12:39 PM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by pbass
They are still showing Steamroller frame sets which is rim brakes. I have a 2008 Steamroller. It was my first good bike.
Old 09-24-23, 05:00 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I've got a couple I won't get rid of anytime soon
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-28-23, 07:04 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The Surly Cross Check wasnt the first gravel frame and while it was a long lasting model in Surly's lineup, it was hardly some aspirational or highly coveted bike. It was a simple workhorse, no different from many similar steel blended function frames.
It was a bike that was clearly based on CX geometry from years ago.
- the bb drop was only like 65mm. what?
- the stack height was antiquated and required a lot of owners to run a goofy number of spacers, just like so many have to do with LHT/DT bikes.
- the reach was really quite long for the frame sizes and forced a lot of riders to either ride frames that was too small, which then forced a ton of spacers onto the steerer, or forced riders to use 35deg short length stems to offset the frame reach.

Its hardly surprising to see another rim brake frame killed off. At this point the highest level road group to still offer rim brake shifters is Tiagra.

If this means I see fewer CrossChecks with 80mm of spacers because people were suckered into buying an image rather than geometry that makes sense for them, I wont complain.
I’m willing to go even further than this and say the Cross-Check was a bad bike for most of its existence that didn’t remotely deserve its reputation, but it first appeared at a time when consumer-level frame sets that could be built to the buyer’s content and weren’t for racing were relatively rare. So it built a following that became self-sustaining long past the point where it was clear that it was just a poor bike - weird geometry, bad ride quality, and not even good value for money. I had a Cross-Check, it actually was the most cost-effective way for me to get started in cyclocross circa 2012, which was great. But I have no affection for the memory of that bike. Once I could afford a better cyclocross bike, there was no way of hiding how crummy the Cross-Check was by comparison. I’m glad the people I still see riding them around like them, I wouldn’t want anyone to be stuck with a bike they don’t like. And I’m sorry, cause I know people have fond feelings for it. But it was a pretty bad bike that was purchased by a ton of people who could’ve done better but didn’t know any better, and more people should know that imo. Anyway, times change, regardless and its time is past whether you liked it or not. Rest in pieces, Cross-Check.
Likes For grolby:
Old 09-30-23, 08:58 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by grolby
I’m willing to go even further than this and say the Cross-Check was a bad bike for most of its existence that didn’t remotely deserve its reputation, but it first appeared at a time when consumer-level frame sets that could be built to the buyer’s content and weren’t for racing were relatively rare. So it built a following that became self-sustaining long past the point where it was clear that it was just a poor bike - weird geometry, bad ride quality, and not even good value for money. I had a Cross-Check, it actually was the most cost-effective way for me to get started in cyclocross circa 2012, which was great. But I have no affection for the memory of that bike. Once I could afford a better cyclocross bike, there was no way of hiding how crummy the Cross-Check was by comparison. I’m glad the people I still see riding them around like them, I wouldn’t want anyone to be stuck with a bike they don’t like. And I’m sorry, cause I know people have fond feelings for it. But it was a pretty bad bike that was purchased by a ton of people who could’ve done better but didn’t know any better, and more people should know that imo. Anyway, times change, regardless and its time is past whether you liked it or not. Rest in pieces, Cross-Check.
Well, different strokes of course. I will certainly admit the geo can be "hard to fit". But once you get it dialed I think it has quite a nice ride quality, at least my size 50 does--springy, lively, responsive. I have another steel "gravel" bike with more modern geo that rides differently from the CC, but I like 'em both for different reasons.
Old 09-30-23, 11:42 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't own a cross-check but it's still sad to see it go. Surly could of put disc brake mounts on it and keep it going....The bike industry has gone mad and insane with their so-called innovation...I am holding to my Surly 1x1 like it's gold.
I think the Straggler is kind of the "disc Cross Check". Maybe because I hang out on sites like The Radavist and whatnot, but there is still a market for rim brakes out there on these kind of bikes, but as I say, now you'll have to go more $$$ like a Crust, Rivendell, Velo Orange or whatever--more boutique.
Old 09-30-23, 12:30 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
There are lots of similar options. My guess is that it simply wasn't selling well enough.
Old 09-30-23, 04:36 PM
seat_boy

New Albion Privateer, Black Mountain Cycle Monstercross, and....? What else has geared or single speed or fixed gear capability, and pretty good tire clearance, and useful braze ons? I love this type of bike, what else should I be looking for?

Originally Posted by RH Clark
There are lots of similar options. My guess is that it simply wasn't selling well enough.
Old 09-30-23, 05:08 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by seat_boy
New Albion Privateer, Black Mountain Cycle Monstercross, and....? What else has geared or single speed or fixed gear capability, and pretty good tire clearance, and useful braze ons? I love this type of bike, what else should I be looking for?
That's what I'm saying, if you want rim brakes, you now have to start looking at more boutiquey options, AFAIK (however New Albion Privateer is new to me - that one looks a little more affordable).
Old 10-01-23, 08:24 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I'm not saying that there are plenty of similar rim brake bikes available. There are plenty of similar disc brake bikes available. I'm saying that there simply aren't that many people buying the rim brake bikes. It's just hard to believe that a manufacturer can't source parts anymore as the reason to drop it from the line up.
Old 10-01-23, 12:20 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
There is no such thing as a shortage.

There is only a shortage at X price.

Irregardless of rim brake parts, soybeans, truckers, construction workers.
Old 10-01-23, 02:48 PM
seat_boy

Disc brakes don't have the single speed or geared flexibility of rim brakes. For instance, on the CC you can slide the rear wheel back and forth to have multiple fixed gear ratios.

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I'm not saying that there are plenty of similar rim brake bikes available. There are plenty of similar disc brake bikes available. I'm saying that there simply aren't that many people buying the rim brake bikes. It's just hard to believe that a manufacturer can't source parts anymore as the reason to drop it from the line up.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 10-01-23, 05:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Disc brakes don't have the single speed or geared flexibility of rim brakes. For instance, on the CC you can slide the rear wheel back and forth to have multiple fixed gear ratios.
If only there were a way to combine single speed and disc brakes...

for the record, disc and single speed exists for multiple disc brake styles too.
Old 10-01-23, 06:34 PM
seat_boy

Of course this combo exists. But try to stop and do a manual gear change of your fixed gear hub (if you manage to find a fixed gear disc hub), and it's a five minute job with tools, not a 30 second task with a QR.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If only there were a way to combine single speed and disc brakes...

for the record, disc and single speed exists for multiple disc brake styles too.
Old 10-01-23, 06:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Of course this combo exists. But try to stop and do a manual gear change of your fixed gear hub (if you manage to find a fixed gear disc hub), and it's a five minute job with tools, not a 30 second task with a QR.
yep, this is a definite concern for 1 out of every 600 cyclists.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-01-23, 07:00 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
If I had a fixed gear, I’d only be concerned about a disc on the front. I’m probably not alone in this so change above ratio to 1 out of 1200.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 10-02-23, 05:41 AM
seat_boy

With a flip flop fixed/free rear hub, it's nice to have a rear brake.

Most people will never build a bike this way. But I'm sad that a frame that caters to bike nerds like me is going away to be replaced by mainstream stuff like the Preamble.

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
If I had a fixed gear, I’d only be concerned about a disc on the front. I’m probably not alone in this so change above ratio to 1 out of 1200.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 10-02-23, 05:55 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
People who want a flip-flop hub on a cx bike with cantilever brakes are a niche of a niche. Fork-end bikes that can take a rear rim brake are still readily available, including from Surly. I know the horizontal dropouts are part of the tinkerer’s appeal of the Cross-Check, but as a former owner I have to say they just made the bike worse for the 99% or more of customers who were never going to use it as a single speed. In general my opinion as a bike nerd is that most of these efforts to make a bike more “versatile” by trying to throw in something for everyone mostly just end up making it kind of mediocre at all those things and the Cross-Check is a perfect example of that.

Last edited by grolby; 10-02-23 at 06:02 PM.
Likes For grolby:
Old 10-03-23, 11:26 AM
FoafInTX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is very likely the reason for the demise of both. Both had a fanatical following. Both are older designs. That does make a difference. Costs of production and components.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.