Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Runner’s “high”, Cyclist’s “high”?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 12:48 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts

It’s no secret that many runners enjoy endorphins. As a former runner, I only sporadically had the pleasure. As a cyclist, there are times, where I find myself “in the zone”, but rarely get that endorphin bliss. What brought this up was an hour long Zone 2 session today. After finishing the session I laid on my back to do some stretches and did have that kind of blissed-out experience.

Is the endorphin sensation illusory to most cyclists, or do they/ you experience it? If you do, what is your technique?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-28-23, 03:35 AM
pbekkerh
Likes special bikes

Bikes: Solio 1910, Colnago Sprint 1986, Nehan TT 1989, Bianchi Mercatone Uno 1999, Boreas Aër Roadbike 2003, Canondale six13 2004, Ghost SE7000 MTB 2009, Bike Friday Tikit Hyperfold 2011, PlanetX Excocet II 2014 White Fatbike 2021,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
I've never tried that. Neither running nor cycling. The faster/longer I go, the more I want to vomit at the end !

I've had a few "flow" experiences while rockclimbing though.

I've often wondered if people start climbing because they never get any thrill sensations in normal life. I don't like roller coasters as well. Climbing, freediving and motorcycle racing does it for me but still no "runners high".

Last edited by pbekkerh; 12-29-23 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-28-23, 04:44 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
not that i've ever exp. i'd need to find the perfect route to see if it can happen. Unlike running, cycling is easily impeded by a variety of interruptions.
Old 12-28-23, 05:33 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I find that on long rides I'll hit that zone (like 60+ miles, for me 3.5 to 4 hours), and also on shorter high intensity workouts - like climbing the "Alpe d' Huez" simulation route on Zwift, about 100 minutes of solid climbing for me. Longer casual rides or shorter more intense sprints and I'm just fatigued!
Old 12-28-23, 06:30 AM
2ndtimeAround

Bikes: Hardtail MTB , Citi-Bike , Electra coaster, Schwinn coaster brake and 2 road bikes

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
"Is the endorphin sensation illusory to most cyclists, or do they/ you experience it? If you do, what is your technique?"

As a runner I find after the run I'm high as kite for quite along time.( every time) Just a 20 minute run.

After a training ride , about the same feeling but less intense but more duration.
Old 12-28-23, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I ran in my teens but don't remember experiencing a runner's high. In my 20s I swam daily and would experience it most days at about the 20 minute mark. A warm, relaxing pleasantness would wash over me and last for a while after the 40 minute swim.

I've been commuting daily with spirited, longer rides on the weekends in my 30s, 40s, 50s and now 60s without that runner's high...

...except about three years ago on a sustained intense ride I felt that familiar warm, pleasantness wash over me after so many years. Haven't felt it since.

But, I'll say, there is an elevation of mood after almost every ride, even my commutes...but it is a gradual build-up, not as sudden or as intense as those "highs" that would wash over me while swimming in my 20s and that one time a few years ago.
Old 12-28-23, 06:51 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
...I'll say, there is an elevation of mood after almost every ride...
This, and also the inverse; feeling a little blue when I don't get a ride in.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-28-23, 07:08 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Long deep breathing, slow but steady. Do it for awhile, and you'll experience it. The longer the more it lingers. You can do it anywhere, anytime. No certain type of activity is required, even right where you sit. Don't doubt, don't think, breathe ! It's the most natural thing in the World

I experience this when I was travelling to place without my bike, and I had strained my ankle trying to run instead. Running is not something I ever do. Dumb idea ! So even walking was difficult. In my hotel ,rain pouring all day, I really wanted to exert my lungs, but with nowhere to go, I just started breathing like I do on the bike, deep long breaths. It's very natural actually. I did this for about 20-25 minutes each day. Your body will feel warm, almost glowing-like, the same as when riding hard and breathing deep. By the time I got home some 3 weeks later, when I got on the bike, I had no sucking wind sensation I would have before from not breathing deeply in a while, and resuming the same mileage was easy. So the breathing activity was beneficial to the whole body, not just the lungs. Go figure. Yeah... don't think ... BREATHE !!!

Last edited by Garthr; 12-28-23 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling, doh !
Likes For Garthr:
Old 12-28-23, 08:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
About the only thing I notice after long bouts of exercise is my body core temperature inceases for around a day. Now if you're talking about a certain mental state, that happens all the time with all forms of exercise. You just have to clear your mind and not really think of anything and you can get into a zone as 1 with the things around you.
Old 12-28-23, 09:02 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I’ve had a runner’s high a few times. But only on solo runs, never on group runs or organized events. They were an amazing feeling. I’m not sure that I can recall the euphoric feeling while riding though.

Old 12-28-23, 09:13 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
My endorphins kick in pretty much anytime i get exercise, might not be a high in the true sense of being high but I like the feeling.
Old 12-28-23, 09:25 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Long deep breathing, slow but steady. Do it for awhile, and you'll experience it. The longer the more it lingers. You can do it anywhere, anytime. No certain type of activity is required, even right where you sit. Don't doubt, don't think, breathe ! It's the most natural thing in the World

I experience this when I was travelling to place without my bike, and I had strained my ankle trying to run instead. Running is not something I ever do. Dumb idea ! So even walking was difficult. In my hotel ,rain pouring all day, I really wanted to exert my lungs, but with nowhere to go, I just started breathing like I do on the bike, deep long breaths. It's very natural actually. I did this for about 20-25 minutes each day. Your body will feel warm, almost glowing-like, the same as when riding hard and breathing deep. By the time I got home some 3 weeks later, when I got on the bike, I had no sucking wind sensation I would have before from not breathing deeply in a while, and resuming the same mileage was easy. So the breathing activity was beneficial to the whole body, not just the lungs. Go figure. Yeah... don't think ... BREATHE !!!
Along those lines - I stumbled on a breathing routine that works well as a mantra for meditation. 2-4-6-8. (It is actually 4-6-8-2 since we typically start on the inhale.) 4 seconds of inhale, 6 seconds of hold, 8 seconds of exhale, 2 seconds of rest, repeat. (The seconds can just be uniform whatevers in your head, no loud clock needed.)

Before I stumbled on that mantra, I took beginning swimming when I returned to college in my early 30s. Instructor was a phys-ed grad student. She stressed over and over that for freestyle, breathing was all about the exhale; that the inhale didn't matter! (If we exhaled 100% of the air deep in the bottom of our lungs, even if we only got a 1/4 breath because we just got slammed by a wave, the whole 1/4 breath was completely used. But if we exhaled only 50%, our best oxygen receptors at the bottom of our lungs never saw that new air and got nothing, The 1/4 breath fellow comes out way ahead.) So swimming is more like 2-6 (no holding your breath here when breathing every stroke!) or maybe 2-10 if you can do two strokes per breath. I find every time I remember that hill climbing, it pays off! Top in sight - time to go anaerobic - exhale! As deep as I can. And keep doping it until my wind is down on the other side.

To the runners' high - that breathing doesn't magically produce it for me but its deep association with meditation helps.

I wish I knew the name of that instructor just to thank her for that wonderful life gift she passed on.
Old 12-28-23, 09:31 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Ride harder. It comes when you do multi-hour climbs.
Old 12-28-23, 09:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
My endorphins kick in pretty much anytime i get exercise, might not be a high in the true sense of being high but I like the feeling.
The same for me, any type of exercise or physical activity especially when done outdoors can release those feel good hormones... I even get it sometimes at my physical labor job.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-28-23, 12:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Usually on a particularly long and vigorous ride, I find that I need to pull off to the side of the road and read some beatnik poetry.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-28-23, 12:36 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Back when I could run, never once experienced anything more than the relief of the run being over. If there's a cycling equivalent it's myth copying myth, as far as I can tell.

Either that or I've been really cheated!
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 12-28-23, 02:01 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The same for me, any type of exercise or physical activity especially when done outdoors can release those feel good hormones... I even get it sometimes at my physical labor job.
This is so true for me also. If I am in a funk, a long run or bike ride brings me out of it.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 12-28-23, 05:27 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
If you ride often enough, with enough intensity (it doesn’t take that much), your body will produce endorphins. Over time you begin to get hooked on them. When I am riding regularly (300 miles per week), even during a long and hard ride, I am already looking forward to my next day’s ride. And no matter how tired and sore I am in the morning, I can’t wait to get back on my bike and ride.

I’ve never been a “gym junkie” but I imagine it’s the same for them.
Old 12-28-23, 05:40 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
I don't get "runner's high / cyclist's high" in the traditional sense, but I definitely get into a meditative state when I'm on the bike. It's part of what I really enjoy about long-distance / ultra-distance events. The feeling of being connected to nature while moving through space at the speed of a bicycle is pure bliss for me.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 12-28-23, 05:57 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Hell yes. It’s one of the many reasons I bicycle. It’s like free drugs man!

I get it best if listening to some longer jam music on a nice sunny day.
Old 12-28-23, 06:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
It’s no secret that many runners enjoy endorphins. As a former runner, I only sporadically had the pleasure. As a cyclist, there are times, where I find myself “in the zone”, but rarely get that endorphin bliss. What brought this up was an hour long Zone 2 session today. After finishing the session I laid on my back to do some stretches and did have that kind of blissed-out experience.

Is the endorphin sensation illusory to most cyclists, or do they/ you experience it? If you do, what is your technique?
I ran a bit when I was much younger. The runners high I experienced a few times was a thing that happened during the run, not afterwards. I've never experienced that riding a bike.

I've gotten other sorts of "highs" on a bike, but not the same thing as runners high. I think part of the running high was sort of zoning out, not something I do on a bike. Similar to what someone above said, ti happened when I was running alone, usually at night on quiet deserted roads/paths. The running became seemingly effortless.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-28-23 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 07:32 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I had a nine mile route I used to run regularly and would get that runner's high every time. I don't get that same feeling on the bike.
Old 12-28-23, 07:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't think anyone who has not experienced a runners high can say whether they have experienced the same thing on a bike.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-28-23, 08:26 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Careful while in the bliss zone! I have had some accidents or near misses while there!
I can't get there on a trainer!
gm
Old 12-28-23, 11:51 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I occasionally get something resembling a "high" when cycling. I wouldn't necessarily attribute it solely to a hard effort, or at least in my case. Mine seems to be a combination of moderate effort along with the right scenery. When I'm riding my winter routes, down lower in elevation, I don't get nearly the same sense of euphoria. However, with the "dramatic" scenery on most of my summer routes, I do get the "high." Oddly enough, at higher effort levels, the feeling is very much diminished.

I also do get what I consider "being in the zone." It's a different feeling for sure and something that usually happens in higher-stress environments like when I'm mtb racing, descending a technical descent, or spirited riding on one of my motorcycles. My thought processes don't become automatic like some people describe. Rather, time seems to slow wayyyy down and I feel like I have the ability to analyze every turn, or section of road, trail, etc. To me, it's like extreme mindfulness...no thought processes are being wasted on stuff that doesn't pertain to the current situation.
Likes For Sierra_rider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.