Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Colder weather riding clothing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 06:42 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

I am in North Texas so my definition of cold weather will be very different from some in northern states.
I can be comfortable in my bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey at 60* on a sunny day. I have long bibs that are thicker and a long sleeve jersey and a riding jacket. I figure I can be comfortable at 50* but I don’t want to overheat. At 60-65 in shorts I am building up a sweat after a few miles.
If I ride at under 50* what do y’all wear?
I hate cold but if I bundle up too much I will work up a sweat and in cold weather that could be bad.
If it gets really cold I will just go to the gym.
Someone gave me an insulated balaclava that covers my mouth and nose. I don't know if it’s practical or not but I would look like a ninja!
Old 12-29-23, 07:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
I’m in light single layer lycra tights under 60, usually am OK with a light polypro long sleeve top and a light to medium wind shell. At 55 I might add a short sleeve jersey for additional layer. At 50, same polypro top, but I switch to my Pearl Izumi jacket, which is a breathable exterior with some wind stop ability and has a light fleece type lining. I can wear that PI jacket down to 20 or so just adding layers in my torso. I don’t need added booties till 45 or so, then I add a basic shoe cover. At 40 I switch to my Shimano insulated winter boots plus light wool socks (which I wear any temp under 60). I will also switch to a heavier tights with a light fleece type lining under 40. Gloves are usually Garnau fall full finger gloves and I add light polypro liner gloves under 40 deg. We mt bike all winter if there’s little snow, down to about 15 - 20 or so.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-29-23, 07:10 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
40-50f with spotty drizzle, chance of rain describes 4-5 months here. Dressing for that has to account for possibility of 15 minutes roadside fixing a flat, which is a very different scenario than riding.

Two options - wool or not wool. Middle weight wool jersey, windbreaker, light rain jacket in the pocket. Alternatively, base layer, lycra jersey, rain jacket.

Down toward 40 I'll definitely have leg warmers. Rainlegs rolled up at my waist, to be rolled down if real rain hits.

A neck buff either just around the neck, pulled up over ears, or over the face as needed.

Two layer glove system. Base layer, thickness dependent on temp. Waterproof/ windproof overmitts. Depending on conditions, I'll use baselayer only, overmitt only, or both.

I'll have another top layer in a bag in case things go badly.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-29-23, 07:23 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 349 Posts
I set out the other day it was 28 F. By the time I got back it had reached 48 F and my gloves were soaked from the sweat running down my arms because my 'winter' jacket is windproof which equates to doesn't breathe. Sweat literally ran out the cuffs when I'd reach down for my water bottle. Still a good ride
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-29-23, 07:34 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
In New Jersey, the coldest I ride in is about 15F. Colder than that is possible but pretty uncommon. While we ride in different temperate ranges, the process is the same.

1. Check the weather before every ride
2. Learn from experience what to wear/pack for each temperature and weather condition
3. Layers and/or zippers. One nice thing about biking is that you can unzip and get good airflow around your body.
4. Every ride starts indoors, goes for a finite time, and ends indoors, right? Dress for a sojourn into the weather, not like you will be living in it.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 12-29-23, 07:38 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
In New Jersey, the coldest I ride in is about 15F. Colder than that is possible but pretty uncommon. While we ride in different temperate ranges, the process is the same.

1. Check the weather before every ride
2. Learn from experience what to wear/pack for each temperature and weather condition
3. Layers and/or zippers. One nice thing about biking is that you can unzip and get good airflow around your body.
4. Every ride starts indoors, goes for a finite time, and ends indoors, right? Dress for a sojourn into the weather, not like you will be living in it.
15*? I won’t even come out from under my blanket if it’s that cold.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 12-29-23, 07:39 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I see a trend. I really need a windbreaker. Are cycling windbreakers as snug as jerseys?
I have a light cycling jacket that someone gave me. I need to see if it is windproof. I think it is fleece lined.
Old 12-29-23, 08:08 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
In Tokyo the weather usually hovers just around freezing during the winter. I usually wear a Pearl Izumi “heat tech” undershirt with either a Pearl Izumi long sleeve winter jersey, or a light North Face jacket. I don’t like wearing cycling shorts or pants, a well-broken-in Brooks saddle allows me to ride all day in regular shorts or pants. In the winter I usually wear jeans with stretchy fabric. Gloves and a cap which covers my ears is all the rest. It doesn’t really get cold enough to need shoe covers.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 12-29-23, 08:12 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I see a trend. I really need a windbreaker. Are cycling windbreakers as snug as jerseys?
I have a light cycling jacket that someone gave me. I need to see if it is windproof. I think it is fleece lined.
Snug is trendy. More aero, quiet.

Loose gives you wider options for layering, plus more dead air.

Personally I don't want a fleece lined windbreaker because you can't eliminate that fleece layer if you get warm. A tailwind section even at 35F will get warm; then turn into the wind and your layers are soaked.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-29-23, 08:39 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I put a fleece over the cycling jersey. When it gets even colder I put a raincoat over the fleece. When it approaches freezing I put on a pair of pants to cover the rest of my exposed skin. Below freezing, I wear two layers of pants and substitute a down puffy instead of the fleece.

It's not a very aero kit. Those who need aero should stick with tights for everything.
Likes For Yan:
Old 12-29-23, 08:41 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
This time of year, I ride my touring bike with panniers.
I have one extra layer in the pannier when I leave the house to put on if I get cold. (An extra pair of gloves and sox is nice too.)
More likely, I will strip off one or two layers during the ride and stow them away in the pannier.
Likes For Lambkin55:
Old 12-29-23, 09:12 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Layering makes sense. Sweating in shorts and short sleeve jersey after a short ride made me wonder what to layer. I’m new to this.
Old 12-29-23, 10:09 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
I don't like cold. That's why I still live in the Phoenix area. I have one cycling jacket that breaks the wind nicely, but it also keeps all the humidity inside. I hate spending money on expensive cycling gear but I caved on this one because I needed at least one "bad weather' waterproof option. If its really cold and I'm really committed to riding, I'll do multiple layers under it. But other than that, its a matter of layers.

I'll put on a cotton/polyester t-shirt as a base. Cotton is just a tad warmer than most other options. And it absorbs sweat well enough for cold weather riding. Then I'll add layers according to how I feel and what I think the weather will be. Today was pretty sunny, so I just put on an additional long sleeve polyester shirt over. Worked fine and was only slightly cold for the last bit of the ride at around 4:30P. If it were colder, I'd have added a sweat shirt.

In case I need to remove layers (and for other things that might come up) I carry a drawstring "backpack" tucked between the rails of my bike seat. I get mine at Dollar Tree but you can fine 'em online too. They are cheap, lightweight, and come in handy if you end up needing to carry something.
https://www.amazon.com/Sliverdew-Dra...48&sr=8-8&th=1

I carry a little 3D printed clip that I made that pulls the draw strings closer across my chest. You might want to carry a safety pin or paper clip to do the same. Pulling the strings together makes the backpack stay in position nicely when you use it.

Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 12-29-23, 10:13 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
My advice: if you're not used to 40-50F, just go for it and figure it out for yourself, everyone has s different level of tolerance for wind and cold. Best bet is to dress with stuff that can be relegated to jersey pockets if not needed after it gets warmer. For example, balaclava, arm warmers, leg warmers and a light wind jacket can all be rolled up and put into jersey pockets.

Don't be embarrassed to ride with your back pockets crammed with stuff you take off, especially as you're figuring it out.

Some ideas since I have a lot of experience in the 40-60 range. At 60 or a bit above, it's just normal riding clothes, bib and jersey.

At 40-50F I'd wear a super light long sleeve base layer under my normal jersey and bib straps - or light arm warmers - or just a very light wind jacket over the jersey. I'd either put light weight wind pants over my bibs, or wear leg warmers. My tights are almost too warm for 50F, but they're in the realm of possibility. Probably the leg warmers at 50, maybe the wind pants or tights as it gets closer to 40.

I always wear a thin skull cap, even at 100F so that would be on if it wasn't balaclava weather. I have a variety of balaclavas, from very thin to thermal. At 50, I'd either stick with a skull cap or try the thin balaclava. 40, a little heavier one.

Gloves- the thin long fingered gloves probably at 50. I have a two or three levels of glove warmth, so it would depend. The stretchy fabric work gloves with rubber palms work great for riding, are inexpensive, and come in a variety of weights and would be great for experimenting until you decide to get some "real" ones.

Shoes and socks: no different than what I wear when it's warmer. 50F is not tough on the feet in my experience. Whatever you do, don't cram heavier socks into your shoes. Tight fitting shoes will only make your feet colder. If you need additional warmth, get some inexpensive toe or shoe covers.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-31-23 at 11:50 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-29-23, 10:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Another who would not like an insulated windbreaker. I like shell only so it stuffs easily into my jersey pocket. I have both dry weather cycling wind breakers and ones lined with the waterproof, vapor breathing magic. Armwarmers. I like the warmer ones like those from Segoi. A wool cap to wear under my helmet. (All my helmets get sized for that cap then cinched down for without. I love the helmets with ratchet wheels in back.) I often wear both a longsleeve and short sleeve jersey on 50ish temps. Colder and a Patagonia pullover under a SS jersey. (I have a few hi-vis SS jerseys one size larger for cold season riding. They also have high quality sturdy pockets. Perfect with a LS jersey under. Knee warmers, leg warmers and tights defending on temps and precipitation.

A really useful trick - newspaper. One full sheet folded along the main crease. I pull it up under my outermost jersey, tearing down a few inches at center at my throat then pull up a little more so its starting over my shoulders. Amazing warmth and otherwise not even there. Get warm and it's an easy pull out while riding. Folds up and fits in any pocket, taking no space and if it gets cold or rains later, it can be a godsend. Get a high quality newspaper. The cheap stuff bleeds black ink onto your jersey. (In most places, the NY Times is excellent.)

Edit: reading Camilo's post above - those caps. Yes, I wear one virtually always. (Pace or Halo.) They keep my helmet much cleaner and smelling nice. Same for the wool caps I wear this time of year. Wear a clean one every ride.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-29-23 at 10:38 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-29-23, 10:45 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I am in North Texas so my definition of cold weather will be very different from some in northern states.
I can be comfortable in my bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey at 60* on a sunny day. I have long bibs that are thicker and a long sleeve jersey and a riding jacket. I figure I can be comfortable at 50* but I don’t want to overheat. At 60-65 in shorts I am building up a sweat after a few miles.
If I ride at under 50* what do y’all wear?
I hate cold but if I bundle up too much I will work up a sweat and in cold weather that could be bad.
If it gets really cold I will just go to the gym.
Someone gave me an insulated balaclava that covers my mouth and nose. I don't know if it’s practical or not but I would look like a ninja!
At 50F I’m in thick bib knicks, two short-sleeve jerseys, arm warmers, full-fingered gloves and maybe a neck gaitor. Almost everything I can peel or zip down if it (or I) starts to warm up. For colder (35-45F), I’ll go with bib shorts and thick tights, and possibly full shoe covers. Below 35F I don’t bother going out - I’m not wild about either freezing my ass off or attempting to ride feeling like the Michelin Man. My head doesn’t really get cold, so I usually don’t wear anything under my helmet. All this assumes dry conditions. I aim to be a bit chilly heading out, so I warm up without overheating later.

Last edited by 13ollocks; 12-29-23 at 10:52 PM.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 12-30-23, 03:31 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
First of all, try not to worry about what you look like. My standard answer is always layers with ability to remove as needed. Thin, wind breaking layer that allows moisture to escape is a big help when riding. A handlebar or saddle bag to stash a layer, including glove liners and thin, ear covering cap. If you are not at least pretty chilly at the start, you have too many clothes on. I right on the coast of Delaware, conditions change frequently during rides. It might be 10 degree difference from the beach to a mile or two inland.
Your head may not feel cold, but you may find a cover will help keep the rest of you feeling warmer.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-30-23, 06:41 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I just discovered the cycling tights with a very thin fleece layer. The fleece is so thin that I first thought they sent the wrong tights. So toasty. Too warm for for over 45 degrees, but make my cold weather rides easy.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-30-23, 08:33 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
as mentioned above - layer

two or three top layers should work - man made preferred (and / or wool ?)

cycling specific apparel not required (especially for casual rides) - if you have Nike Dri-Fit or UA Heatgear or similar they will be fine for the first and second layers

second or third layer can be a thicker layer - or a shell can be substituted (lightweight or more substantial - depending on temps)

for bottom - ? - full length tights are a good idea when temps drop (especially for road rides) - but many get by with just shorts for short casual rides

full finger gloves are a good idea

balaclava or similar - ? - good idea for road rides - but many get by without for short casual rides

not a bad idea to be a tad cool when you start a ride in cold weather - you will generate heat when you ride … if you don’t generate enough heat - kick up the pace lol
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-30-23, 08:58 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Years ago, I kept track of my winter rides: temperatures, clothing layers--good or bad. Riders are really variable on their clothing requirements, so experience is key.
Now, I can pick a pretty good setup for any 5F degree range I'm riding in.

I avoid riding below 40F, and prefer 50F or higher. The most difficult rides are the ones with big temperature variations. So I tend to ride in the afternoons in the winter.

My favorites:
Pearl Izumi unlined tights. I have the very thin ones, and the medium ones--that have a zip ankle. I can wear the shorts that I like, and even use the semi-retired ones that I don't normally wear. I don't need to find padded tights that fit as well as my summer shorts.

An unlined jacket with reasonable breathability. Just add base layers as needed.

Patagonia lightweight long sleeve
I got one of these years ago, thinking it would be good for a second baselayer. But it's become my all-around cold weather item. It's very durable, very thin and breathable. Good under a shirt for around the house on cold days.
At 55F to 65F, under a short sleeve jersey, it's just enough to block a bit of the wind.
If I get hot and sweaty on climbs, these dry out very quickly.

I got a second one, and found that layering two of these is very effective. The top layer blocks some of the wind for the second layer. This is great under my thin jacket too.
They are kind of expensive, but seem to last forever.

A thin "neck gaiter" has lots of flexibility -- pull up over my nose on cold downhills, shove it down by the collar on climbs, or take it off.

My fingers get cold very easily, but REI glove liners under fingerless gloves are great in 55F or higher
Old 12-30-23, 09:29 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,606 Times in 3,787 Posts
This chart has been a good starting point for me. YMMV.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-30-23, 09:38 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
You’ll get lots of good suggestions for what gear to use. And they are good suggestions. But decades of riding, I’ve come to the conclusion that you just have to experiment and figure out what works best for you in the conditions you’re willing to ride in. It takes time. And think outside the box. It doesn’t have to be brand name bicycling-specific gear to work well with cycling. For example, I’ve purchased some expensive high-end brand-name cycling gloves that absolutely suck. But then, I found exactly what works best for me at a ‘knock off’ close out department store for $10.00.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-30-23, 09:50 AM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
You’ll get lots of good suggestions for what gear to use. And they are good suggestions. But decades of riding, I’ve come to the conclusion that you just have to experiment and figure out what works best for you in the conditions you’re willing to ride in. It takes time. And think outside the box. It doesn’t have to be brand name bicycling-specific gear to work well with cycling. For example, I’ve purchased some expensive high-end brand-name cycling gloves that absolutely suck. But then, I found exactly what works best for me at a ‘knock off’ close out department store for $10.00.
Dan
Back when I'd cycle commute and have to start out in the dark in the winter, I used fingered ski gloves. The biggest challenge for me in cold (40 degree-ish) weather is protection from the wind on hands and face and to some extent, feet. Next is knees. The rest of the legs always seemed pretty immune. and the upper body and arms tended to take care of themselves once I got my core temp up. Another thing to consider is to do some light calisthenics right before going out to give your core temp a bit of a head start.
Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 12-30-23, 10:02 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
This chart has been a good starting point for me. YMMV.

In general, I'd agree with the chart, but personally never bothered with arm/leg warmers. E.g. in the 40-50 range, I'd be with a long sleeve jersey and bib knickers. I do realize though that these can be cost effective add-ons to avoid purchasing additional more expensive clothing items. Consider also if you get a jacket to look for one with zip-off sleeves if you think you could find yourself with your arms a bit too warm.

Toe Covers are a good accessory to have as well, especially on windier days and if your normal shoe is the more breathable types of model.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-30-23, 10:03 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
40-50f with spotty drizzle, chance of rain describes 4-5 months here. Dressing for that has to account for possibility of 15 minutes roadside fixing a flat, which is a very different scenario than riding.
Two options - wool or not wool. Middle weight wool jersey, windbreaker, light rain jacket in the pocket. Alternatively, base layer, lycra jersey, rain jacket.
Down toward 40 I'll definitely have leg warmers. Rainlegs rolled up at my waist, to be rolled down if real rain hits.
A neck buff either just around the neck, pulled up over ears, or over the face as needed.
Two layer glove system. Base layer, thickness dependent on temp. Waterproof/ windproof overmitts. Depending on conditions, I'll use baselayer only, overmitt only, or both.
I'll have another top layer in a bag in case things go badly.
Similar situation for me, most morning rides from my house start in the mid 40's f (waking temps from Mid-Nov until late March are commonly high 30's) and on sunny day, end at 60f.
I ALWAYS use layers. Almost never jackets (except for rain). Almost always varying base layers - I have a collection which works from 50's down to near zero f.
Usually a cycling vest for under 58f (always some variant of full to partial mesh back). Why No jackets? The sources of real sweat build up are the armpits. So a closed fullsleeve jacket is the worst because the heat and sweat build up in the pits. Venting the pits is the key to not getting too sweaty nor too hot.
I use cycling vest for EVERYTHING active ! XC or Alpine Skiing (under a shell jacket with pit zips), as outer layer for hiking or backpacking (mesh back is awesome when carrying a TMP pack); ice skating, etc - and certainly anything outdoors.
Neck/head Tube/neck gaiter - I have a collection of varying head tubes (lycra and some polar fleece) which get used whenever there's doubt. Commonly used now in XC (& XC racing)
Gus Schumacher US XC racer here shows common use

Gus Schumacher - XC racer with Neck/Head tube
Can be used just for neck , or tucked over ears, or over head and under the helmet - length and stretch is plenty enough for any use, and just right for anything short of a howling blizzard.
Head tube works Great under helmet straps to cover ears
I'll use arm warmers a lot !!!, even over a LS jersey sometimes - keeps the pits open to vent. Also use under a Ski Shell and over a LS moisture wicking shirt.
Arms warmers, CYcling vest, Neck/head tube I use for EVERYTHING active - and often knee or leg warmers.
Knee warmers for rides from 58f and below, leg warmers for rides 54f and below. NEVER tights (they're never just right)
Knee and Leg warmers have another advantage - they help keep the thigh and hamstring muscles warm - 2 layers, the leg warmer layer covered by the shorts/bib shorts layer.
Surface and near surface capillaries become damaged by surface cold/chill effect to the leg muscles (and arms) if not properly covered. I see many, many riders neglecting that...

XC skiing Twin Lakes behind Mammoth - Hole-In-The-Wall over right shoulder...
Here a 15f day, ski hat with ear flaps, Head/Neck tube, Pearl Izumi convertible jacket w/ zip-off sleeves and venting back panel (here, sleeves partially unzipped in the arm pits...) Twin Lakes- Lake Mary area behind Mammoth mountain, a spectacular place to XC, back country ski and hike! 8400 to 10k ft elevations.
Well designed cycling layers crossover to so many other actives sports - and some stuff from other sports crossover well to cycling...
Riding today - 48 and heavy rain done and trailing to a light drizzle - a beautiful day in Belgium, Holland and Germany...
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 12-30-23 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For cyclezen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.