Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dissapointed with EasySeat. What's a better one?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 03:11 PM
Cyclist0297
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have been using the EasySeat for a year (roughly) and while I love the alleviation of pressure in sensitive areas, the construction leaves a lot to be desired. The screws for tightening are made of PLASTIC. This means I caused damage to it just by tightening the screw securely. That being said, even with the thumbscrews fully tightened the pads move around along the bar(?) over time, which is unacceptable. I'm only 5'11" and 180lbs, it shouldn't be hard for a seat to handle my weight without settling or sliding around.

So, I'm looking for a seat that takes all pressure off the groin/perineum region like the EasySeat, but is actually of high build quality using metal and can withstand normal use without losing functionality. Any ideas?

Last edited by Cyclist0297; 07-23-13 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-23-13, 03:21 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
LWB recumbent. bk
Old 07-23-13, 03:47 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Adamo? https://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-road
Old 07-23-13, 05:23 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 68 and don't have problems with my Specialized Romin or my Specialized Toupe.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-23-13, 07:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ride Dining table upright and a proper saddle like a B67 should be fine..
Old 07-24-13, 02:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Brooks.
Old 07-24-13, 06:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^^ Agree. Wide platform Brooks. You might find a woman's saddle B-67S or equivalent to our liking. You only need to eliminate broad pressure from your soft tissue regions, not eliminate contact. Many, many people find comfort in these saddles. Maybe a B-17S.
Old 07-24-13, 08:02 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride this for the last 2 months (250-300 kms/week) :https://www.rideouttech.com/

It's not perfect (little skin irritation/chaffing) but it fixed my right leg sciatic nerve problem completely. The quality is very very good and they offer a 30 days comfort warranty.
Old 07-24-13, 12:06 PM
Cyclist0297
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent! Thanks everyone
Old 07-25-13, 11:29 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sduibek
Hello,

I have been using the EasySeat for a year (roughly) and while I love the alleviation of pressure in sensitive areas, the construction leaves a lot to be desired. The screws for tightening are made of PLASTIC. This means I caused damage to it just by tightening the screw securely. That being said, even with the thumbscrews fully tightened the pads move around along the bar(?) over time, which is unacceptable. I'm only 5'11" and 180lbs, it shouldn't be hard for a seat to handle my weight without settling or sliding around.

So, I'm looking for a seat that takes all pressure off the groin/perineum region like the EasySeat, but is actually of high build quality using metal and can withstand normal use without losing functionality. Any ideas?
Replace the cheap azz plastic screws with metal screws and be done with it. Take the seat to a hardware store for help getting the the correct replacement screws.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-25-13, 11:51 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 389 Posts
Hello,

Mine is carbon fiber with aluminum parts. It's gone a decade and 10's of thousands of miles while supporting my 230 pound carcass. Never had any numbness, and there's very little desire to get off at "rest stops" on long rides.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-03-13, 04:09 PM
Cyclist0297
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for your replies and product suggestions.

I am a student so I can't afford most of the ones mentioned; what I ultimately purchased was the Ergo TheSeat product and I love it. It's similar to EasySeat in most ways, but it's softer and thus more comfortable.

I did try a seat in the interim that was similar to conventional seats but had a dip and opening in the perineum area... not enough. Still got significant amounts of pressure in the wrong areas. Honestly I'm amazed how anyone bikes like that, I can't imagine taking punishment in that area and not worry about impotence down the line. Not to mention pain when hitting bumps! With seats like Ergo and EasySeat, you can hit any obstacle as hard as you want and it won't even phase you. On a convetional "hard" seat? Hahaha, not a chance.

Anyway, hopefully the information of what seat I ended up getting is useful to someone who finds this thread in the future.

Last edited by Cyclist0297; 11-03-13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 05:01 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Serfas RX or an SMP saddle might help. The Serfas is a bit less expensive, but if you have the chance to demo an SMP, take it. They are quite pricey, so you'd want to try before you buy. There are some less expensive SMPs that don't appear on the manufacturer's website but do turn up on eBay or Amazon, such as the TRK model.
https://www.serfas.com/products/inde...les/rx-saddles
https://www.amazon.com/Selle-SMP-TRK-.../dp/B001K12JHK
Old 11-06-13, 10:20 PM
squeakyschwinn

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Traveler; 2013 Fuji Roubaix 3.0 LE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'd recommend going to a local bike shop and having a proper saddle fit. I've had two pilonidal surgeries and initially thought I would be delegated to a seat like the easyseat. However, I found that the correct bike shorts and the Specialized Romin are ideal for me and also enables me to have the more efficient posture which I preferred all along. Funny thing is more gel and more padding do not mean more comfortable.
Old 11-06-13, 10:42 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for your replies and product suggestions.

I am a student so I can't afford most of the ones mentioned; what I ultimately purchased was the Ergo TheSeat product and I love it. It's similar to EasySeat in most ways, but it's softer and thus more comfortable.

I did try a seat in the interim that was similar to conventional seats but had a dip and opening in the perineum area... not enough. Still got significant amounts of pressure in the wrong areas. Honestly I'm amazed how anyone bikes like that, I can't imagine taking punishment in that area and not worry about impotence down the line. Not to mention pain when hitting bumps! With seats like Ergo and EasySeat, you can hit any obstacle as hard as you want and it won't even phase you. On a convetional "hard" seat? Hahaha, not a chance.

Anyway, hopefully the information of what seat I ended up getting is useful to someone who finds this thread in the future.
I'm curious as to what bike this saddle is being used on...
Old 11-08-13, 03:01 PM
Cyclist0297
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
I'm curious as to what bike this saddle is being used on...
I got it used so I can just give you the information on the frame:

"Mongoose Hilltopper"

And a smaller sticker says "CR-MO MTB 4130"
Old 11-08-13, 03:22 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
That frame isn't too much different than mine. Too each their own on saddle preference, but I've found that the stock Velo Comfort saddle is a bit too soft for extended rides. That soft, squishy stuff feels good to sit on, but it also tends to mold itself to your contours, potentially restricting blood flow and putting more pressure on areas that you're trying to avoid putting pressure on.