Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Grizzly Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Grizzly Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 06:42 PM
robatsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Bianchi Grizzly Project

I picked up a Bianchi Grizzly MTB, 1988 a little while back with the thought of roadifying it a bit for commuting, gravel trail, errand type duty.

Trying to do this mostly with parts on hand, keep it cheap.

Haven't really had any inspiration, so I've just been busying myself with repacking bearings, greasing, cables, and so forth.

Also nagging at me is the memory that whenever I did this in the past, I got a lot of joy out of the build process but was always underwhelmed by slogging around on flattish/high bars for more than a couple of miles (or after a few rides).

So I fitted up some stuff, got is roughly set up to how I like my road bikes.

Zowee, I definitely see where this thing is going now.

For first rides I'm just going to set it up w/some stem shifters, make sure I really am down with this thing before committing to some Paul thumbies on handlebar sleeve or clamping on some DT shifters. Or maybe I'll like the stem shifters on this one.

Sorry for the cell pic, garage fresh and all:

Old 07-08-11, 07:09 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thats really cool
Does the long(er) top tube give you any reach problems?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-08-11, 07:17 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris W.
Thats really cool
Does the long(er) top tube give you any reach problems?
Measures up pretty close to my road bike saddle/bar/seat height configuration
Old 07-08-11, 07:27 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12864 Post(s)
Liked 7,783 Times in 4,128 Posts
Production MTBs generally didn't get long top tubes 'til the 90s, when chainstays got shorter and front-centers got longer.

Looking good robatsu. What bar tape is that? I like the oxblood color!

Needs a saddle to match and some olde Conti tires whose sidewalls were almost that color.
Old 07-08-11, 07:37 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Production MTBs generally didn't get long top tubes 'til the 90s, when chainstays got shorter and front-centers got longer.

Looking good robatsu. What bar tape is that? I like the oxblood color!

Needs a saddle to match and some olde Conti tires whose sidewalls were almost that color.
This is newbaum's maroon tape with 3-4 coats of clear shellac. I made up the handlebar assy for another (long gone) bike a while back. I could see a saddle in that color, but the white is working for me at the moment.
Old 07-08-11, 07:53 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2949 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,514 Posts
looks great so far. I think I would go barends on that. when I streeterized my Grizzly and upped it to 7sp, I left the flat bars on it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0171.jpg (100.6 KB, 694 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-16-11, 04:15 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I've made a little more progress on this, all I really need to do is hook up a few more cables, throw on a chain and I'm ready to go. The tires will get swapped eventually:

Stem Shifters! Suntour, natch. Cheap solution for now, may get promoted to permanent depending on how things go in sea trials:

Nifty cable carrier from the nifty bits bin (whose contents are rapidly disappearing into the maws of ebay):

Old 09-03-11, 07:20 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Finally got around to finishing up this bike and getting it on the road today, went for a quick jaunt. The drop bar configuration fits me nicely. The stem shifters work great for heads up riding but aren't going to win any stylistic points. Got a bunch of little tweaks/adjustments to do, the knobbies are naturally not a whole lot of fun on pavement, but overall, a fun bike!

Old 09-03-11, 07:26 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Great job. If you are going to keep to relatively smooth trails, gravel roads, etc., I'd dump the MTB tires and go with a 1.5 all purpose or cross tire. I promise a great improvement on pavement.

BTW, I feel the same way about MTBs with standard tires -- great off road, pigs on pavement.
Old 09-03-11, 07:27 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

you do realize this is considered sacrilidge and the bike police are coming for you right?

I like it!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-03-11, 08:06 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
you do realize this is considered sacrilidge and the bike police are coming for you right?
Bring 'em on! I've got my garage door barricaded...

Too bad these things have an apparently indelible bad rap. They are pretty fun and convenient for curb-hopping type riding. We'll see where this goes, I just put these on as I had them around and was the cheapest option for testing the drop bar configuration on this frame. It remains to be seen whether this is a keeper - w/rack/basket, some smoother tires and fenders, it would be perfect for the urban riding in Japan but unfortunately it is here in the U.S.
Old 09-03-11, 08:08 PM
XLR99

Bikes: 85 Cilo, '91 Bianchi Volpe, '00 Gary Fisher, '74 Raleigh SuperCourse, '06 Soma Groove, '09 Nashbar X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like! What's the story with the fork? Looks interesting with the unicrown combined with a lug/gusset.
Old 09-03-11, 08:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Oh, man. I think I need one of these now...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-03-11, 08:33 PM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Great all-rounder build, Robatsu. I keep telling myself "no more mountain bikes" but they keep accumulating. You've inspired me to convert a couple of MBs or Hybrids this winter.
Old 09-03-11, 08:55 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR99
Like! What's the story with the fork? Looks interesting with the unicrown combined with a lug/gusset.
Yeah, it is a lugged unicrown fork. This is sort of a transitional thing between traditional crowned forks and the conventional unicrown forks we all know and love. Pretty short lived phenomena, I think the Bianchi Grizzlies had them for two model years, maybe. I think these are mostly often sees on bikes from around the 85-88 or so period.
Old 09-03-11, 09:04 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Whit51
Great all-rounder build, Robatsu. I keep telling myself "no more mountain bikes" but they keep accumulating. You've inspired me to convert a couple of MBs or Hybrids this winter.
I have the same problem. The MTB's are cheap and plentiful, but as yet I've never built one up that I enjoyed more as an all-rounder than a touring/road bike beefed up a little for rougher duty.

This is my last shot at it, I think. If I end up not riding this one, I'm swearing off MTB's for good.
Old 09-03-11, 10:43 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I have tricked out a number of hard tail / rigid fork MTBs into fast path / trail bikes. It's all in the bars (you've got that) and tires.

I converted this one last week, have more than 100 miles on it. It is fast and bulletproof.

Old 08-18-14, 08:35 PM
vane28

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robatsu
I picked up a Bianchi Grizzly MTB, 1988 a little while back with the thought of roadifying it a bit for commuting, gravel trail, errand type duty.

Trying to do this mostly with parts on hand, keep it cheap.

Haven't really had any inspiration, so I've just been busying myself with repacking bearings, greasing, cables, and so forth.

Also nagging at me is the memory that whenever I did this in the past, I got a lot of joy out of the build process but was always underwhelmed by slogging around on flattish/high bars for more than a couple of miles (or after a few rides).

So I fitted up some stuff, got is roughly set up to how I like my road bikes.

Zowee, I definitely see where this thing is going now.

For first rides I'm just going to set it up w/some stem shifters, make sure I really am down with this thing before committing to some Paul thumbies on handlebar sleeve or clamping on some DT shifters. Or maybe I'll like the stem shifters on this one.

Sorry for the cell pic, garage fresh and all:

Hello!

I literally just made this account so I can respond to this thread.

I just went to go see a Bianchi Grizzly MTN bike today, identical to the on you posted. I absolutely loved it, but intend to mod it to make it faster (since I need for commuting, errands, going to work, eeeverything). My plans were exactly to change the handle bars to drop bars, and changing the casette on it for something that'll make me faster (which I'm not even sure is an option..)
I researched online about the model and found that you did almost the exact thing I had in mind! I suppose my question is.. how has it treated you?! What exact modifications have you made to make it more "roadie" and fast, besides the bars?

Thanks and I appreciate you reading my message. Have a good week!

vane28
Old 08-18-14, 09:34 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I still love this Grizzly! One of my favorite drop conversions I've seen.

As far as making one faster, about the easiest way is to change the tires to a smooth tread, in 1.5". Slicks feel awesome on the road, but wet grass will be your downfall(literally). Something like a Pasela tread would be a good trade off. Larger front cranks would help, but may become a problem on chainstay clearance. Rear gearing is more logical, but be sure to shorten the chain if needed. Lighter wheels would make a big improvement, some mid nineties Trek Matrix wheels would fit the job if you can find a set in good shape. Light enough, and durable! They stand up to a 6' 1" clydesdale rider like me.

I've got a Cannondale that I am making lighter/faster, but keeping the mountain style. Panaracer Fire XC pro are not too scary on the road, if kept around 50psi. The ride of this bike is improving all the time. It's a quick, nimble bike that can go anywhere. I've bombed down concrete bike path descents which can be kind of spooky on a mtb. This bike handled it without a complaint. The geometry is very road like IMHO.,,,,BD

Old 09-27-14, 03:50 AM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vane28
Hello!

I literally just made this account so I can respond to this thread.

I just went to go see a Bianchi Grizzly MTN bike today, identical to the on you posted. I absolutely loved it, but intend to mod it to make it faster (since I need for commuting, errands, going to work, eeeverything). My plans were exactly to change the handle bars to drop bars, and changing the casette on it for something that'll make me faster (which I'm not even sure is an option..)
I researched online about the model and found that you did almost the exact thing I had in mind! I suppose my question is.. how has it treated you?! What exact modifications have you made to make it more "roadie" and fast, besides the bars?

Thanks and I appreciate you reading my message. Have a good week!

vane28
It worked pretty well, although I didn't ride it that much. As usual, mtb->road builds for me are fun, but I just prefer road geometry on the pavement, even kinda rough or gravel. So I sold it.

Right now, I'm working on another project or two approaching the same problem from the other direction, getting a road bike (like vintage steel touring) ready for a bunch of gravel road trekking.

But it was a cool thing and a lot of fun to ride.
Old 09-27-14, 04:26 AM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robatsu
Yeah, it is a lugged unicrown fork. This is sort of a transitional thing between traditional crowned forks and the conventional unicrown forks we all know and love.
I'm working on an '87 Nishiki Cascade for my brother and it has the same fork. I've been tempted to steel it and put it on one of my bikes. How do you like the U-Brake? They were all the rage in that period but kind of a PITA
Old 09-27-14, 06:21 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
Vane28, I have one of these bikes and like it a lot. It would make a great commuter. There are plenty of lighter bikes, but I find mine a blast to ride, very comfortable and reasonably fast. I'm using Panaracer Pasela tires. Cassette is a 13-26 8 speed. Bars are On One Midge. Unfortunately mine came without the original fork.
Old 10-07-14, 12:57 PM
kimpw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What type of tires are you guys running for pavement use? I was looking at Panaracer Paselas 26x1.5 or 26x1.75. Not sure if that extra .25" will make a huge difference or not.
Old 10-07-14, 03:57 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Mine had x1.25s. I really wanted x1.5s but no one had them when I bought them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-07-14, 04:51 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
The tires shown below (#22) are 1.5 Paselas. To me they feel ideal for road/light gravel trail use. ymmv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.