Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wrap around RX sun glasses without inserts, are they available?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 06:54 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for a wrap around style RX sunglasses without the dorky inserts. Does anyone actually make these at a reasonable price, that I can use while cycling? I have a very light prescription and just need for distance only. On all the glasses websites I see wraparounds in their sunglasses sections, but they are always Non RX if they are wrap around style. These must be difficult to make. I don't need some name brand sunglasses for $300-400. I can get non RX wraparound sunglasses on amazon for $20 and they are wonderful, but my distance vision is getting a little worse and I need some distance correction (-1.50). Some one must have a source somewhere.
Old 05-19-16, 07:30 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I used rx-safety.com, and purchased single vision full wrap safety glasses, tinted dark green, for about $130. I later purchased a set that have the Transitions variable tint and polarization, and they were about $160. They have worked fabulously as cycling glasses.
Old 05-19-16, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,225 Times in 7,617 Posts
I have been looking for the very same thing and not have found anything inexpensive. I was chatting with SportRx last week about cycling glasses made with the equivalent of +1.75 reading glasses across the entire lense. The pointed me towards Oakleys with, IIRC, a Nike lens. Price was $435. That seemed like their top of the line offering. You might want to check with them to see if they can hook you up for less. In the end, though, I wouldn't expect to get something dirt cheap.
Old 05-19-16, 07:38 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Liked 130 Times in 93 Posts
What are the dorky inserts? I really like my RX sunglasses, but I don't care how I look, and I had really good vision benefits when I got them, so they were probably expensive.
Old 05-19-16, 07:58 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Prescription sunglasses are going to run you north of $150, just because of the cost of the lenses. My pair of Wiley X Vapor totaled ~$200 shipped, and the frames were only about $60 of that total. With the big brands like Oakley, the frames alone can hit $200. Check out online dealers for Wiley X or Tifosi. They're both far cheaper than the price of Oakley or similar.
Old 05-19-16, 11:02 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Liked 180 Times in 111 Posts
Kaenon kore.
Old 05-19-16, 11:29 AM
Elvo

Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Wiley X
Old 05-19-16, 11:51 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Liked 272 Times in 162 Posts
My Maui Jims and Kaenons are fixed, wrap around lenses. Both are pretty awesome - the Kaenons have a better lens, the Maui Jims being much lighter. I use the Maui Jims for cycling exclusively, and the Kaenons for driving/kayaking/bumming around.
Old 05-19-16, 12:19 PM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did the Oakley thing, but yeah $300 for the lenses (Rx, transition) its just not cost effective for a couple years of use. I like them a lot, but about the only thing is the adjustments my eyes have to go through because of the wraparound design versus my everyday glasses. I might have to move on to something else in the future...I'm thinking about something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-PR.../dp/B005CX8IJ0, but not sure how you'll feel about them...I have pretty much grew accustomed to inserts through the military needing them to wear gasmasks and SCBA's for firefighting, and something like that may fit the bill for me...
Old 05-19-16, 12:52 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Liked 246 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackmen
I am looking for a wrap around style RX sunglasses without the dorky inserts. Does anyone actually make these at a reasonable price, that I can use while cycling? I have a very light prescription and just need for distance only. On all the glasses websites I see wraparounds in their sunglasses sections, but they are always Non RX if they are wrap around style. These must be difficult to make. I don't need some name brand sunglasses for $300-400. I can get non RX wraparound sunglasses on amazon for $20 and they are wonderful, but my distance vision is getting a little worse and I need some distance correction (-1.50). Some one must have a source somewhere.
Rudy Project has extensive Rx support for their glasses. I have two pairs of the Rydons that I use daily. These are wraparounds that work great for cycling. They have an extensive selection of lenses, tints, transmissivity etc... They also have some brilliant reader style lenses if all you need is close in help (i.e. arms getting too short, if you know what I mean).

J.