Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

OLMO Vitalicio Seguros Team Group set

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 02:11 PM
Piepoli1

Bikes: Banesto, Colnago, Cannondale, Lightspeed,Pinarello, Rossin, Bianchi, Olmo, Lemond,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all. Recent member and my first post. I have a OLMO Vitalicio Seguros team frame and would like to build it up with the period correct groupset, wheels etc. It appears to be c1999. Anyone on here know what the team bikes were equipped with during its short run from 1998-2000? I do have one of the team saddles as well. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Old 06-21-21, 06:10 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Just google OLMO Vitalicio Seguros team and you should find the answer. Small pictures but looks like C-Record to me.
Old 12-09-22, 10:28 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Piepoli1
Hello all. Recent member and my first post. I have a OLMO Vitalicio Seguros team frame and would like to build it up with the period correct groupset, wheels etc. It appears to be c1999. Anyone on here know what the team bikes were equipped with during its short run from 1998-2000? I do have one of the team saddles as well. Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Can you identify or share a picture of the actual saddle. They look like Flites to me in the pictures but I can't seem to find a clear shot of one. I'm sorting out what appears to be one of these bikes myself. Thanks!
Old 12-09-22, 11:15 AM
Mike V3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 18 Posts
98-99 Campagnolo Record 9 and Y2K they used Campagnolo Record 10.

They where sponsored by Selle Italia saddles. The model was picked by rider for preferences. Friere used Flite.
Likes For Mike V3:
Old 12-09-22, 11:22 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

^ Thanks for that confirmation!

Mine is rocking Record 9 speed.
Old 12-09-22, 12:52 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
They used the 9 speed Record Titanium with team embroided Flite saddles.
Below pic is from the OLMO factory (link below the image to the FB page as well for details)

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

The Replicas had Chorus and some other branded but still embroided saddles

more info: https://tavararahaksi.fi/tuote/olmo-...uros-pyora-19/
Google translator is your friend, although it onl says general things about how the replicas are different tubes.

Actually the more I look at that frame the more familiar it becomes.... a factory prototype frame was for sale a few years ago for ~300 EUR (facepalm)

Last edited by Lattz; 12-09-22 at 01:12 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 12-09-22, 01:17 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Lattz
They used the 9 speed Record Titanium with team embroided Flite saddles.
Below pic is from the OLMO factory (link below the image to the FB page as well for details)

https://www.facebook.com/ArtBikesTur...0778928028740/

The Replicas had Chorus and some other branded but still embroided saddles

Google translator is your friend, although it onl says general things about how the replicas are different tubes.

Actually the more I look at that frame the more familiar it becomes.... a factory prototype was for sale a few years ago for ~300 EUR (facepalm)
Thanks for the link and the saddle picture. I had not stumbled on those with my searches.

All the team pictures show the steel tubed bikes not aluminum ones. Supposedly the steel were team issued practice/training bikes. I've found several other frames with confirmed team cyclist names on the same spot mine has the Freire name.

Here's the bike this morning just did some changes to set it up for my fit. Yep, it's too small for me.

Needs a tad more setback and other 10mm on the stem to be my perfect fit.

Names on both sides although the "F" is missing on the other side.
Old 12-09-22, 05:15 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
This is totally bada55. Maybe they used the Deda Zero in '98 and Zero Tre (still steel but larger downtube similar to the alu) and alu versions later. Or (guesswork) riders in different roles or based on their preference used different frames.
I found you another interesting pic. I'm sue you know these, they are on the scoreboard for each cyclist, but for your luck, this is Freiere and avaiable at least a bit bigger size than the others.
Interesting that he is not having the carbon ergos like some of the teammates, but he has the slim DT, non-Tre Zero frame like yours.

edit: based on the shirt its a '98 photo and all the others where the bikes have carbon ergos are the 99 ones. Easy to spot based on the shirts and shorts, the 99 version the lion is inverse printed in a white square and both sides of the yersey and shorts are white.

Last edited by Lattz; 12-09-22 at 05:47 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 12-10-22, 07:32 AM
jamesdak 

^ Yep, those team pics are some of the first references I found. If you look at the various riders over the couple of years you see some differences with these bikes and none appear to be what they actually raced on. I was able to find some POC info for Freddie Rodriquez also so I asked him about these steel frames. Funny coincidence with Fast Freddie is he's got a lot of the faster Strava times on my local route. Must have raced at least one of the Tour of Utah's that came through here.
Old 12-10-22, 07:52 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
^ Yep, those team pics are some of the first references I found. If you look at the various riders over the couple of years you see some differences with these bikes and none appear to be what they actually raced on. I was able to find some POC info for Freddie Rodriquez also so I asked him about these steel frames. Funny coincidence with Fast Freddie is he's got a lot of the faster Strava times on my local route. Must have raced at least one of the Tour of Utah's that came through here.

Fast Freddie raced the Tour of Utah in at least 2008, 2012, and 2013. Fred Rodriguez (cyclingarchives.com)

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-10-22, 09:28 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Fast Freddie raced the Tour of Utah in at least 2008, 2012, and 2013. Fred Rodriguez (cyclingarchives.com)
Yeah, between the Tour coming through annually and then having hosted the collegiate nationals here too, it's pretty much impossible to get into the top 10 or so of any of the strava segments along the main valley road. I've got one KOM for a short section where I was going all out. You'll see Levi is 3rd and I'm sure his time came from him just riding along with the Peloton during the tour. My times are quite pathetic for the most part compared to these pros. Fast Freddie's times are all over the various segments.

This was on the '87 Schwinn Circuit. I always seemed to sprint best on it for some reason.

Dang knees are keeping me from sprinting the last two years. Too often when I get out of the saddle one knee will **** out with no warning and the leg sorta gives out. I haven't crashed yet from that but I'm not risking it until I get the knees replaced.
Old 12-10-22, 11:11 AM
Piepoli1

Bikes: Banesto, Colnago, Cannondale, Lightspeed,Pinarello, Rossin, Bianchi, Olmo, Lemond,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for your response. Much appreciated!
Likes For Piepoli1:
Old 01-17-24, 11:24 AM
mokala

Bikes: Cyclops, Cyclops, Cyclops

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Can you identify or share a picture of the actual saddle. They look like Flites to me in the pictures but I can't seem to find a clear shot of one. I'm sorting out what appears to be one of these bikes myself. Thanks!
Check out this NOS saddle!!

Likes For mokala:
Old 01-17-24, 11:32 AM
mokala

Bikes: Cyclops, Cyclops, Cyclops

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like they made a Turbo version of the saddle also. very neat.

Likes For mokala:
Old 01-17-24, 12:23 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by mokala
Check out this NOS saddle!!

Awesome, thanks for this! There's been a NOS team Flite saddle in Italy listed awhile for $499 and I just could not justify that.

I also had one of these in my watch list that was beat up and about $40 more than this NOS one. This is perfect!!!

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-17-24 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-18-24, 04:16 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
This is totally bada55. Maybe they used the Deda Zero in '98 and Zero Tre (still steel but larger downtube similar to the alu) and alu versions later. Or (guesswork) riders in different roles or based on their preference used different frames.
I found you another interesting pic. I'm sue you know these, they are on the scoreboard for each cyclist, but for your luck, this is Freiere and avaiable at least a bit bigger size than the others.
Interesting that he is not having the carbon ergos like some of the teammates, but he has the slim DT, non-Tre Zero frame like yours.

edit: based on the shirt its a '98 photo and all the others where the bikes have carbon ergos are the 99 ones. Easy to spot based on the shirts and shorts, the 99 version the lion is inverse printed in a white square and both sides of the yersey and shorts are white.
You have to be careful with the team photos with bikes. Many times, they will have one bicycle in the studio, and each team member poses with the same "prop" bike. Not saying that this is the case here, but just a word of caution. I remember Freire as being a smaller fellow, and this bike is for someone probably 3 inches taller I am thinking!
Old 01-18-24, 05:19 PM
jamesdak 

Yep, the one I have is smaller. Olmo confirmed it was a team bike and a team mate confirmed they had multiple bikes and yes the names on the seat stay. Looking more into Tony Tom where mine came from, I'm feeling pretty good about it be legit. I just would love to actually contact Oscar and have him confirm to be 100% sure.