Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Coca-Cola Zero/Diet Soda

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 03:37 PM
SeanBlader

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I've never been into the full on cola's, it's been Diet Pepsi, and more Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi. Or if I'm out for lunch or dinner it's Diet Cola, whichever is represented.

I have been trying to cut back, I could put down eight 12 ounce cans on a weekend, and usually four on a weekday, 2 at lunch and 2 in the evening. Now I'm down to 1 at lunch and then a few free refills if I'm out for dinner. In replacement at home, it's nice to do a club soda with a shot of Torani vanilla occasionally, but even then that might end up at 2 per day, otherwise I'll put away a liter of water.

All told, I haven't really noticed any performance or weight differences in regards to my soda consumption or lack of it. I still look forward to the satisfying pop of a 12 ounce aluminum can opening with the pleasure center inducing colored sweetness that follows.
Old 09-06-12, 04:15 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do any of you prefer Brita filtered water over bottled? Ever since my family got rid of the filter I have had to drink bottled water and I think it sucks. Brita tastes really clean and "soft."
Old 09-06-12, 04:20 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phread59
I like coke Zero. Not the same as regular coke. But I basicly have given it up. I do drink Sprite Zero though. Not much, just a glass(12oz or so) a day if that. A 2 litre will last most of a week. My wife and sister-inlaw have some from the bottle now and again also. I don't really miss it. I have a real coke now and again. But maybe only 4 20 oz bottles a month.

I used to be a real Coke connisure. If you guys remember the "Pepsi Challenge". I'll tell you a funny. Pepsi to me tasted the same no matter what container it came from and no matter where it was bottled. Coke however varies in taste from bottler to bottler. And even tastes different in cans or plastic bottles.

Anyway I was running an errand for my Mother many, many years ago. A pretty lady was doing the challenge thing in front of the store. Lady asks"Sir would you like to take the Pepsi Callenge?" "Why yes I would" I answered. Tasted some of A and some of B. She asked which I preferred. I told her A because it is Coke, it came from a can and was bottled in McClelland Virginia. She looked at me as if I had a wart on my nose. Reached behind the screen and pulled up a paper covered can of A. Pulled the wrapper of the can of Coke. And lo and behold it was botlled in you guessed it,,,,,McClelland Virginia. I preffer Coke. Even though I don't drink it anymore. Honestly a true story.

Mark Shuman
Personally:

#1. Glass bottled coca-cola from Mexico.
#2. When you get that coca-cola from the fountain that is mixed perfectly.
#3. Plastic bottles of coca-cola. The smaller the bottle, the better it tastes.
#4. Canned coca-cola.
Old 09-06-12, 08:58 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised that nobody has piped in with all the horrible things associated with aspartame. Personally, I'll just enjoy an occasional "real" soda. Chocolate milk though is the bomb!
Old 09-06-12, 09:16 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Axiom
Do any of you prefer Brita filtered water over bottled? Ever since my family got rid of the filter I have had to drink bottled water and I think it sucks. Brita tastes really clean and "soft."
Bottled water is a real pig in a poke. I actually prefer the filtered stuff like Dasani or Aquafina (Coke and Pepsi respectively). It's like you're paying them to keep the syrup out - it's more expensive than coke. Some water, like Evian, is downright nasty tasting in comparison.

Brita is OK (it's just a small carbon filter), but it's incapable of dealing with the crap in our water in southern california - Reverse Osmosis is the best in my opinion.
Old 09-06-12, 10:20 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Axiom
I have 2 of these in my fridge: https://www.brita.com/products/water-...sers/ultramax/

I go through 1 a day in cycling season. Can't imagine what I'd do if I lived with other people. Probably need a third, or hook a filter right up to the tap.
Old 09-07-12, 06:30 AM
The_DK

Bikes: 2003 Trek 7300, 2012 CAAD 10 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
I'm surprised that nobody has piped in with all the horrible things associated with aspartame.
Probably because all those horrible things are, more or less, made up by alarmists drawing from conjecture or false correlations-- and not backed by any clinical study.
Old 09-07-12, 11:53 PM
SeanBlader

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Di2

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The_DK
Probably because all those horrible things are, more or less, made up by alarmists drawing from conjecture or false correlations-- and not backed by any clinical study.
That was by far the most eloquently assembled description of what I've also heard about aspartame. I will endeavor to remember that and use it against the office alarmist.
Old 09-08-12, 12:02 AM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_DK
Could be for all I know. I don't drink the stuff (because of the nasty aftertaste). Most of my "athlete" friends won't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole. They're probably alarmists.
Old 09-08-12, 05:04 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't drink much diet soda, but when I have one, my absolute favorite is Stewart's Diet Orange Cream Soda... Or I'll have either a diet dr pepper and jack or diet coke and jack sometimes if I go to a bar and they don't have any good dark European beer or microbrew on tap.
Old 09-16-12, 12:27 AM
nerys

Bikes: Day 6 Dream 21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just try and offset it. I am 100% addicted to turkey hill teas (diet of course)

I LOVE the diet orange tea and the diet blackberry sweet tea.

I WAS SO MAD when they came out with and then canceled the light blueberry tea. man that was heaven.

I don't like green tea except for Wawa Green tea (diet) its HEAVEN. I drink at least 1 a day many times 2.

I just don't dig water. I need that 1% "other" stuff that results in things like tea :-)

aspartame is bad news. if there is a choice I select sucralose. its as artificial as aspartame but a lot safer. and it tastes better too.
Old 09-16-12, 02:45 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Just be careful - I found out a few months ago that I am one of those people that gets cramps from Aspertame - Its only one in 20 thousand but if you start getting nightly leg cramps you may have to layoff the diet stuff...
Hard ride+sit down+drink soda=massive leg cramps (for me)

No soda-no cramps

I learned the hard way to give up the diet soda, but I did not know aspartame might be the cause. I no longer miss the soda, and I hope I did not do too much damage from mass consumption in years past.
Old 09-16-12, 04:10 AM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is something in diet drinks that make me feel very sick feeling. I will take one swallow about every 6 months when I am very dehydrated and that is the only thing around.

I used to drink 4 liters of diet drink each day. I was feeling so bad that I decided to just start trying to eliminate one food at a time to see if there was something that I was eating that make me feel sick. Like many of you I was addicted to diet drinks and that was the last thing that I wanted to eliminate from my food. I finally decided to stop drinking the diet drinks and within 2 weeks I felt great.

You may not get the same results as I did by eliminating the diet drinks but you owe it to yourself to give it a try. If you will only drink water for 1 month you will know for sure if the diet drinks are causing you any problems. If you don't seem to feel better by just drinking water then maybe you can go back to drinking diet drinks and not feel guilty or like you are harming your body. On the other hand if you feel much better then you will have some incentive to stop using the diet drinks.

Also when you look at the cost of diet drinks over 3 to 4 years, you are very close to the cost of a new shiny bike. So do you want that diet soda or some new bike bling?
Old 09-16-12, 11:35 AM
Homeyba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
...I used to drink 4 liters of diet drink each day....
!!!!!! 4 liters???? You're lucky you didn't pop. No wonder you felt bad.
Old 09-17-12, 02:01 PM
deftone

Bikes: P.O.S

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a big fan of Dr Pepper 10. Its meant to be 10 calories per serving, and tastes like the real thing

My vice is Tea. I was born and raised in the UK so I was brought up drinking it as a kid. Im addicted to it. I would say 8 mugs per day? Maybe more? I dont put sugar in it, so for calories its not that bad, but the Dentist says the caffine is staining my teeth as if I was a smoker.
Old 09-17-12, 04:28 PM
homechicken

Bikes: Trek Verve 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy, I wish I could give up the diet drinks. That would be the last of my vices. I rarely drink alcohol, I quit smoking, I've never been a sweets eater. I just can't seem to give up the carbonated drinks.
Old 09-17-12, 06:12 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I now drink 4 liters of water with no problem. So the volume of the fluid is not the problem.

Originally Posted by Homeyba
!!!!!! 4 liters???? You're lucky you didn't pop. No wonder you felt bad.
Old 09-17-12, 06:47 PM
Homeyba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
I now drink 4 liters of water with no problem. So the volume of the fluid is not the problem.
I was not surprised about the quantity (though it is a little high from what I remember) of liquid but quantity of soda! Anyway, glad you switched to a healthier diet.

Last edited by Homeyba; 09-17-12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 10:22 PM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not a fan of the pepper 10. like the diet better. guess I have been drinking DDP so long that I am just used to it :-)

Mr Pibb Xtra is the best though !!
Old 09-18-12, 04:37 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'll take a Dr Pepper thanks. Love the stuff. Second choice is Classic coke.
Old 09-22-12, 06:18 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by deftone
I am a big fan of Dr Pepper 10. Its meant to be 10 calories per serving, and tastes like the real thing

My vice is Tea. I was born and raised in the UK so I was brought up drinking it as a kid. Im addicted to it. I would say 8 mugs per day? Maybe more? I dont put sugar in it, so for calories its not that bad, but the Dentist says the caffine is staining my teeth as if I was a smoker.
ditto- I drink Irish Black Tea in the morning , and green tea in the afternoon . Also about 8 mugs a day . If I drink Soda, I like Stewarts . Expensive, but cheaper than getting from machines at work.
Old 09-22-12, 08:17 AM
kikbot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to drink multiple diet sodas throughout the day but decided that was too much. I need to drink diet because I'm a diabetic. I switch to Zevia brand brand drinks which are made with Stevia instead of Aspartame. I limit myself to one a day mainly for dinner but some days I have none. Trying to eliminate them completely because although I thought Stevia was better than Aspartame now I'm not so sure. Nothing beats water though and like jim p I drink about four liters a day.
Old 09-24-12, 10:10 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Give up the caffeine

You'll love it, trust me. I gave up caffeine a few years back and I sleep and feel much better as a result. The first few weeks will be rough, of course, but worth it in the end.
Pfft. Caffeine and I are great friends. 2-3 cups of coffee beverage (drip coffee, cappuccino, espresso...I like a variety) a day keeps the ole noggin lubricated. With real sugar and cream, if needed, in small amounts.

For soda I've become partial to the occasional indulgence with a GUS soda, which are sweetened with sugar but are much less sweet than normal soda.
Old 09-24-12, 10:45 PM
Shellyrides

Bikes: C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have kicked all soda in the last 3 months. If I have to have a sweet drink its all about the chocolate milk! I will say I don't miss soda at all. Once in awhile i will taste my kids and remember why I don't drink the crap!
Old 09-25-12, 12:07 AM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
god I love chocolate. favorite is wawa chocolate milk but its too thick so I "cut" it with skim milk. Much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.