Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tubeless vs Tubular - School Me

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 06:13 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking at the Hutchinson Tubless tires for Cross racing / riding. The only rim I've found so far that is "tubeless" compatible in a dura ace, wheelset it $1099.00 ouuuuch.... I know there is a kit for converting wheels, anyone used it? How messy is the sealant?

Is it better to just go tubular? I know glue is involved... so how messy is it? I hear you can roll the tires off if they don't have enough pressure.

Take me to school please..
Old 09-28-08, 09:31 PM
darksiderising

Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubeless is for running insanely low pressure, tubular is for insanely high pressure. You don't want tubular for cross.

Actually, it looks like a was misinformed. I see that there are, in fact, tubular cross tires out there. I guess they do have the benefit of being less prone to pinching than clinchers, but they seem like too much of a hassle, especially for cross use.

Last edited by darksiderising; 09-28-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-28-08, 09:55 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darksiderising
Tubeless is for running insanely low pressure, tubular is for insanely high pressure. You don't want tubular for cross.

Actually, it looks like a was misinformed. I see that there are, in fact, tubular cross tires out there. I guess they do have the benefit of being less prone to pinching than clinchers, but they seem like too much of a hassle, especially for cross use.
Still misinformed.
Old 09-28-08, 10:31 PM
crushkilldstroy
Hello.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This is bad advice, even after the correction. Tubulars are great due to the fact that you can run low pressures and the wheel/tire combos often end up lighter than wheel/tire combos with tubed wheels.

I have no experience with tubeless, but I'm sure someone on here does.
Old 09-28-08, 10:54 PM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flargle
Still misinformed.
which part?
Old 09-28-08, 11:51 PM
Dabbo
Principiante

Bikes: Masi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given the fact that most pro run tubulars in cross I would say they work pretty well. You can run low pressure for cross and they don't flat unless you really hit a big rock or tear the side of the tire, you can also use sealant inside to prevent small thorns holes.
You can get pretty unexpensive wheels, I would look on e-bay or craigslist.
Also don't buy expensive tires, I got the basic tufo and they are more than good for me in every condition, rider ability is still more critical than tires at our level.
The gluing is not that difficult and if done right you dont roll your tires even if they are at low pressure.
Tubeless I don't have experience with, Cyclopath in Portland quoted me 140$ to set up my clincher rims with tubeless tires, all included.
You can also do it yourself and save some money, look at: https://www.erikv.com/blog/ for good info on tubeless.
Did you do Barlow, how did it go?
Ciao
Paolo
Old 09-29-08, 12:14 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I use tubeless on my mountain bike. They can be slightly lighter than a tube+clincher setup, depending what you do.

You can run normal clinchers with Stan's sealant. Two of my regular riding buddies do this and do just fine. Cons: messy installation, and needing to roll the bike around once a week, or the Stan's rolls off the bead inside and the seal will fail, necessitating another messy install. This is significantly lighter than clincher+tubes.

You can buy specific 'tubeless' clinchers, which tend to have heavier sidewalls than normal clinchers. These don't need Stan's, but if you're an aggressive rider and want low pressure, it's a good idea to put it in anyway, as it helps the tire recover better from a 'burp' if you roll the tire off the side of the rim on a turn. This is heavier than clincher+tube, but significantly more bomb-proof. I use this method, as I'm a clyde and ride hard enough to get snakebite flats on 2.3 tires.
Old 09-29-08, 07:08 AM
MIN 
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I LOLed.
Old 09-29-08, 09:38 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dabbo
Tubeless I don't have experience with, Cyclopath in Portland quoted me 140$ to set up my clincher rims with tubeless tires, all included.
You can also do it yourself and save some money, look at: https://www.erikv.com/blog/ for good info on tubeless.
Did you do Barlow, how did it go?
Ciao
Paolo
$140 doesn't sound so bad if it includes tires, I'll check w/ Cyclopath. Rivercity has a conversion kit for about $60.00.

I cant find any info on tubeless on the erikv link...

I did Barlow, Master C, and scored a solid 50 of 70. Better than last time at least plus there was a cluster F at the end regarding if we were done or not. I stopped and those I was racing kept going. Who cares it was fun. I forgot to look for you as I had my hands full with my wife, 2 black dogs and a friend that came down from Hood River. Next week, perhaps?

I saw a sexy set of tubeless wheels at the waffle makers booth. Nice. That is what got me looking at tubeless. Plus my tires are a whole lot narrower that the ones I saw and harder too. I had to go slow on the pavement turns as it felt I was going to roll off my rear tire on the turns.
Old 09-29-08, 09:44 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.hutchinson-pneus.com/en/c...ub=cyclo-cross

These are the tires I'm looking at.
Old 09-29-08, 09:53 AM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which part?
That tubulars are made for high pressure.... The real benifit of tubulars is that you can run LOW pressure with no risk of pinch flats.
Old 09-29-08, 10:48 AM
Dabbo
Principiante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hunt-man good job, if you are riding with S&M you should check with Sellwood and see what they have, you might get a discount there and it is always good to support them....
They have several wheels on the website for sale, I am sure they got plenty of tires and they can glue them up for you.
$140 included tires and labor at Cyclopath.
Ciao
Paolo
Old 09-29-08, 11:47 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wfrogge
That tubulars are made for high pressure.... The real benifit of tubulars is that you can run LOW pressure with no risk of pinch flats.
High pressure is an advantage of tubulars...at the velodrome.

The real mistake he made was writing that tubulars "seem like too much of a hassle" for cross. There are four variables you are trying to optimize for cross: traction, rolling resistance, rotating weight, and reliability. Tubulars beat out clinchers on all four.

Compare with road racing, where rotating weight is the one irrefutable argument for tubulars. Even then, aerodynamics might trump rotating weight (this category is a tie between tubulars and clinchers). In cross, with the slower average speed and constant slowing down and speeding up, rotating weight trumps aerodynamics.

This season looks like a large number of people will be trying out tubeless. My guess is that a good tubeless setup gets you most of the advantages of tubulars, but tubulars will remain the choice of pros and hardcore gear junkies.
Old 09-29-08, 05:36 PM
darksiderising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flargle
The real mistake he made was writing that tubulars "seem like too much of a hassle" for cross. There are four variables you are trying to optimize for cross: traction, rolling resistance, rotating weight, and reliability. Tubulars beat out clinchers on all four.

Compare with road racing, where rotating weight is the one irrefutable argument for tubulars. Even then, aerodynamics might trump rotating weight (this category is a tie between tubulars and clinchers). In cross, with the slower average speed and constant slowing down and speeding up, rotating weight trumps aerodynamics.

This season looks like a large number of people will be trying out tubeless. My guess is that a good tubeless setup gets you most of the advantages of tubulars, but tubulars will remain the choice of pros and hardcore gear junkies.
Thanks for correcting me with an informative post. Now I know. Are tubulars more/less prone to getting flats than clinchers? Are pinch flats totally out of the question, or do tubulars let you roll on a lower pressure that has the same pinch flat potential as a clincher at higher pressure?
Old 09-30-08, 10:44 PM
Dabbo
Principiante

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To get a pinch flat with a tubular you need to damage the casing, so it depends from the type of tire and how heavy it is, some lighter ones are less resistant to pinch flat if you ride over rocks with low pressure, if you ride a tubeless you get more or less the same result, but again it depends from the tire sidewall and the rim shape, in theory.
Old 10-01-08, 01:48 AM
peter74
transient

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running the non tubeless Bulldogs on Stans 355's with no problems so far.
Old 10-01-08, 10:17 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I searched Stans 355 and found this link. Cool video's on tubeless tires and sealant etc. From a place called NoTubes... Lots of good info on tubless.

https://www.notubes.com/support_movies.php
Old 10-01-08, 10:41 AM
flargle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out this thread on the real cross forum:
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=137479

So now there are, I think, three tubeless-specific tires on the market.
Old 10-02-08, 07:18 AM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was some spectacular/typical BF.net misinformation up near the beginning of the thread.
Old 10-02-08, 08:44 AM
bonechiller
RE******

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, it's amazing that someone who knows so little about Cyclocross and CX equipment is reading and posted "advice" about the sport on the internet.
Old 10-02-08, 09:57 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard8655
I wouldn't be caught dead riding a steel bike. We left the Iron Age a long time ago. Aluminum, titanium, and carbon represent the future.

Yep.
I'm taking it by your signature that you don't like steel.
Old 10-03-08, 07:31 AM
bonechiller
RE******

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cs1
I'm taking it by your signature that you don't like steel.
I'm certain that it's tongue-in-cheek.
Old 10-03-08, 07:44 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bonechiller
I'm certain that it's tongue-in-cheek.
In this forum you're probably right. In the road forum steel is that 5 letter "dirty word."
Old 10-03-08, 08:15 AM
bonechiller
RE******

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
***** is real!
Old 10-03-08, 01:06 PM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So can we get back on topic now?

I'd really like to hear from anyone with 700c tubeless experience. Seems like tubular is the common way to go. I saw a sexy set of carbon tubulars a friend has but money is a big issue now... I did get a Hutchinson Bulldog Tubeless ready tire but it is mounted with a tube now. Seems like a nice cross tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.