Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with 57 Bianchi headset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 04:44 PM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts

I recently picked up this 57 Bianchi and the headset has a little play in it. I wanted to tighten it up, but I don't see the traditional 2 lock nuts.
Anyone how to tighen this headset?

thank you.
Old 10-09-23, 04:54 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the knurled nut on the top. I forget, there may be some set screws. if that's the case make sure you loosen.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 10-09-23, 05:00 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
See the bolt with the B on it? That is a clamp-on headset. Popular with track bikes, Bianchi and several English bikes.

Loosen the B bolt. Screw down the the knurled nut until the play is gone. Tighten B bolt. Give the knurled nut just a bit more turn and Bob's yer uncle.
Old 10-09-23, 05:15 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
And proceed with caution, overhaul should be on the table to gain familiarity and understanding given the question.

This is a great opportunity to gain some knowledge you may never use again and make sure this lives on as it should.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-09-23, 05:31 PM
WilliamT

the screws have holes on opposite ends so I think there is a special tool need for turning these. The top one I got off with a pipe wrench wrapped in cloth. I was able to move the clamp up a little.
Old 10-09-23, 05:36 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Park and other tool manufacturers make a pin tool which fits the horizontal holes in the locknut

here is the fellow from VAR for example, Nr. 13

use of such a tool prevents galling of the knurling on the lock nut which occurs with use of pump pliers/channelock

should you wish to repack at some point set uses 1/8" ball

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 10-09-23, 05:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Park and other tool manufacturers make a pin tool which fits the horizontal holes in the locknut

here is the fellow from VAR for example, Nr. 13

use of such a tool prevents galling of the knurling on the lock nut which occurs with use of pump pliers/channelock

should you wish to repack at some point set uses 1/8" ball

-----
IME, a scrap of stout leather or nylon/plastic can provide some buffer for the pliers if applied judicially.
Old 10-09-23, 06:00 PM
iab

You can go with the tool juvela posted, for a small fortune. Or, a plumber's strap wrench does the job. The top nut does not need to ne much more than finger tight.

Likes For iab:
Old 10-09-23, 06:21 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
The VAR 13 ([pictured below on the left) is a great tool for the job (I have used it successfully with old Bianchi built-in headsets), but I don't think it is made anymore. They can be had on eBay, but are often spendy. [utag=458869]WilliamT, if you buy one, make 100% sure it has the two little screw-in pins. They can moved from being parallel (for adjustable BB cups - you can see the holes for this position in the photo) to pointing towards each other (perfect for the little holes in the headset cup/race and knurled top nut.) The tool is worthless without them. The wing nut allows for a wide range of adjustability.

VAR also made a purpose-designed set of pliers to use on the knurled nut while the VAR 13 was used on the cup/race. The pliers are pictured below on the right. I've used those, too, but they really aren't any better than using a pair of channel-lock pliers (with a rag to avoid leaving "scars"). The strap wrench shown by iab would probably work at least as well with less risk of surface damage to the knurled nut.

I think the best thing about the VAR tools actually is their appearance. Their is a certain Gallic, funky, almost rustic charm to them, at least to my eye

Old 10-09-23, 06:23 PM
WilliamT

Ok, I was able to remove all the upper parts and I used use a pick and hammer to tap the nut over a little more; just enough so there is no play.
(I would like to eventually look for that tool. I have a few of the park tools for the bottom bracket, freewheel, some spanner wrenches, etc. but nothing that clamps the headset with just 2 pins).

One tool that helped a lot was using retaining ring pliers to expand the clamp so I could slide it out of the way
SPEEDWOX 2 Pcs Special Ring Retaining Ring Pliers Set Lock Ring Pliers Flat for Removing Installing Gearshift Locking Rings Angle Tip Circlip Plier Automobile Transmission Clutch Tool Fathers Day Gift - Amazon.com

Anyways, its back together and on to the next task; the brakes which are side pull univerals so that should be easy.

Likes For WilliamT:
Old 10-09-23, 06:51 PM
iab

I do love a Bianchi Gran Sport. Classy bike. I just wish they made them something other than 54cm. Just too small for me.
Old 10-09-23, 06:52 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by WilliamT
Ok, I was able to remove all the upper parts and I used use a pick and hammer to tap the nut over a little more; just enough so there is no play.
(I would like to eventually look for that tool. I have a few of the park tools for the bottom bracket, freewheel, some spanner wrenches, etc. but nothing that clamps the headset with just 2 pins).

One tool that helped a lot was using retaining ring pliers to expand the clamp so I could slide it out of the way
SPEEDWOX 2 Pcs Special Ring Retaining Ring Pliers Set Lock Ring Pliers Flat for Removing Installing Gearshift Locking Rings Angle Tip Circlip Plier Automobile Transmission Clutch Tool Fathers Day Gift - Amazon.com

Anyways, its back together and on to the next task; the brakes which are side pull univerals so that should be easy.

What a great score, well done.
Old 11-11-23, 08:29 AM
WilliamT

I ended up getting a Park SPA-3 tool on ebay and filed it down. Now its super easy to adjust

Likes For WilliamT:
Old 11-11-23, 08:43 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Nice looking Bianchi, digging the mudguards. The CdI in the background looks nice too.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-11-23, 08:57 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Ideally, the VAR #13 or the unobtanium Campagnolo #772. Practically, just grasping the knurled nut, by hand or with a slip-jaw pliers ought to work.

Likes For JohnDThompson: