Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gluing tubulars the "belgian" way

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 08:48 PM
Toxanadu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im venturing in the tubular cross world. Im thinking about gluing them the "belgian" way.
im wodering if i can mount the tape(velox type tape) "tufo tape" style by placing a tire with coats of glue on the tape and plastic layer. center the tire. then pull off the plastic layer out. anyone do it this way? do i even make sense?
Old 10-02-08, 10:13 PM
Dabbo
Principiante

Bikes: Masi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A) I would not use the tape, heard is not that good if it gets wet...
B) it is not so difficult to center the tire, no need for plastic layer

good luck and remember the second time it will be better and easier then the first
Old 10-03-08, 07:29 AM
cardstock
4 letter tirade

Bikes: Soon to be owner of a matching pair of Rock Lobster CX machines, Kelly Deluxe, Bianchi Commuter, Waterford R22

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using Vitoria Mastik glue with the tape cyclocross world sells and have had no problems with my tires staying glued at all, in any condition. The steps I take, and have found it is a little easier.

Make sure your tires are stretched really well. it only helps the process. Put them on the wheel and inflate to 60 PSI for a day or so.

1. clean and sand the rim
2. apply ample amount of glue to rim (you will get the feel for this pretty quickly, too much and it gobs out all over the side, too little and it wont hold, so don't be stingy, but you are not bathing the rim in glue either. make a complete "coat".)
3. -a.while glue is wet, peel one side of the tape and apply it to the rim
-b. go back over the tape with your thumb pressing really hard so that it all makes contact.
4. -a. Pump up the tire (I know this sounds backwards, but it makes it easier, I swear.) Pump it up to about 35-40 PSI. So that it is hard and has shape, but still flexible.
-b. peel back about 4-5 inches of the plastic from the tape on either side of the valve hole from the rim and apply glue to the tape on the rim. (Be careful not to get glue inside the valve hole.)
5. Stretch tire back onto the rim and partially deflate. It is easier if you leave the tire at a pressure where it holds its' shape..
6. Work your way around the remainder of the tire, carefully rolling 5-6 inches of the tire off the rim, peel plastic from tape, apply glue and roll tire back on. Work yourself all way around.
7. Pump the tire up to ~60 PSI and roll it around a couple revolutions with your weight on it (force the glue and the tire to make full contact)
8. Let sit at high PSI for 24 hours.