Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Speedplay Frogs vs Time ATAC MTB pedals

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 12:58 PM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Speedplay Frogs vs Time ATAC MTB pedals

After several years of using plain platform pedals, a friend has convinced me to re-try clipless pedals. I used to ride Shimano standard SPD-type pedals (the only ones I've ever tried). I liked that there was some side-to-side play on the pedals, but the rotational float wasn't enough for me on long rides. I have somewhat bad knees - I've had them looked at and there's nothing wrong with them - the orthopedist said it's just wear and tear helped along with a genetic predisposition for bad knees.

So, that being said, looking for something with good rotational AND lateral float (that lateral freedom helps a lot). If it has a cleat that doesn't grind on the ground when you walk, that's a big bonus. Also, since I don't have the funds for very good shoes, something with a bit of a platform might help. This has brought me to try to decide between Frogs and Time Zs. I've heard alot of good stuff about the Frogs being great for knees, but it doesn't sound like there's much lateral float, and the platform doesn't seem as big - bringing up hotspot concerns. Anyone have any opinions.
Old 12-12-11, 05:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
is this a long distance competition/ultracycling question or a touring question. The touring folks generally use mountain shoes or platform, most long distance riders I know use SPD.
Old 12-12-11, 07:24 PM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

The lower end of long distance (non-competition) - centuries and 200km brevets. But I've owned road pedals and hate the duck walk with a passion. Plus I do some trail riding on the bike as well.
Old 12-13-11, 12:56 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used Bebops for a while, but got tired of the large cleat. I was given a pair of SPD pedals which were fine for float and clipping in & out but the cleat gave me hotspots. I then tried a pair of ATAC carbon pedals off of Ebay. The cleats are fully recessed in the shoe, there's more cleat/shoe contact area compared with SPD so no problem with hotspots, and at the easiest release setting the ATACs are easy in/easy out. I love 'em.
Old 12-13-11, 01:02 PM
wintermute

Thanks. It's become a moot point. Ran to my favorite LBS during a late lunch and discussed it with them - they said Frogs are a no-go since I've had plantar fascitis in the past. Regarding the Times, the owner stopped me and asked what problems have I had in the past with SPDs. I said none. So she said why not stick with what's worked in the past. She suggested Shimanos new trail type pedals for their increased surface areas. Turns out they had the XTR M985 on sale for an awesome price since they haven't been able to move them. Picked up a set. Now all I need are shoes . Nothing like doing things backwards.
Old 12-13-11, 05:27 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wintermute
... they said Frogs are a no-go since I've had plantar fascitis in the past.
I don't understand the connection, could you explain?
Old 12-13-11, 06:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by MetinUz
I don't understand the connection, could you explain?
A lot of people think that smaller pedals put more localized pressure on your feet. I went from platforms to Speedplay X, and I really don't think there is an issue. However, I expect to keep hearing about them causing localized pressure even though small pedals have been around for quite some time.
Old 12-13-11, 06:38 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
But Frog's are not really smaller than SPD's in terms of pedal/cleat interface area, and to me they feel more securely attached (less rocking motion). Besides, I am not sure if it makes a real difference if the shoe soles are sufficiently stiff (such as Sidi Dominator's).
Old 12-13-11, 07:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Yes, Sidi Dominators. Just buy them. They'll last the better part of forever. The contact points are important. The rest of the bike maybe not so much, considering the variety of bikes which one sees on a brevet.
Old 12-13-11, 08:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

But Frog's are not really smaller than SPD's in terms of pedal/cleat interface area, and to me they feel more securely attached (less rocking motion). Besides, I am not sure if it makes a real difference if the shoe soles are sufficiently stiff (such as Sidi Dominator's).
I don't think people really think that hard about the issue, "pedal looks small, gonna hurt." I just retired a pair of cheap Nike cycling shoes after using them for PBP. If any shoe would give you problems due to a small contact area, those shoes are it. But they didn't. I got some Lake carbon fiber shoes, I really like them but I don't expect them to have much difference as far as foot pressure goes
Old 12-14-11, 12:42 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
A lot of people think that smaller pedals put more localized pressure on your feet. I went from platforms to Speedplay X, and I really don't think there is an issue. However, I expect to keep hearing about them causing localized pressure even though small pedals have been around for quite some time.
I've used Time Atac Aliums and XS and the Zs almlost exclusively since I started cycling. The reasons why I went with them were simplicity of the pedal mechanism, and the lateral float that Shimano did not offer way back then on their MTB SPDs.

I've had excellent service from them, and have made only two deviations -- to road SPDs on a go-fast bike, and ordinary platforms ona commuter.

The biggest weakness is that the cleats are brass and will wear out, both where the springs latch at the front and back and the protrusions that snap in the springs -- any wear-down on the sole of your shoes will have the cleats wearing away on the ground. Shimano cleats, of course, are steel.

I went to the Z pedal for a while to try to solve an issue with the top part of my foot-ankle area and to a degree some hotfoot/Mortons neuroma issues. In the end, though, I went back to the smaller pedals and haven't had major issues requiring me to resort to platforms again.

My opinion is that people say they feel the pedals through their feet, but in fact they are not. Separating the foot and the pedal mechanism are the insole, the plate that the cleat screws into and which is comparatively quite a large size, and then the plastic/GRP/CF sole.

It is the inner cleat plate that people feel pushing up into their foot which may mean a lack of stiffness in the sole as it bends around the plate, inadequate padding for the insole, or, if a Shimano shoe in particular, a need to in-fill the depression where the plate resides with stiff plastic the size of a credit card.

I will add that my current go-to shoes for LD cycling are a pair of older Diadora Santa Cruz that are perfect for my feet. Unfortunately, Diadora appear to have discontinued that model, and I am not sure about ordering the one that replaced it without knowing if the last for both is the same.
Old 12-14-11, 09:26 AM
wintermute

I actually like the bit of play in the SPDs. Also the M985's that I got have a larger machined bearing surface around the cleat mechanism that the lugs on the sole can ride on, was well as a cage around the mechanism, giving even more surface area to bear down on. I can't afford the Dominators and I'd hate to find out halfway through a brevet that my pedals that I paid over $100 were killing my feet.
Old 12-18-11, 01:51 PM
vic303

Bikes: Schlitter Encore, RANS Seavo tandem, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't trade my Frogs for any other pedals. The float is tensionless, which is essential for my knees to remain pain free. There is zero spring tension to overcome to float or to release with Frogs.

On my new Shimano wm61 shoes, I can walk in the cleats without hitting them on the laminate flooring in the house, so no cleat-wear.