Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bottom bracket clicking sound

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-13, 01:16 PM
joedab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is on a bicycle with a spindle and cup, caged bearing bottom bracket that I have overhauled a few times within the last year because of some vague and minor issues that have developed. Since the last overhaul, the drive-side cup and lock ring have remained tight except the bike has developed a -cinching- click type of sound with cranking up the steepest of slopes.

I have had this problem arise before more than once with a sealed cartridge bottom bracket for which the BB can simply be replaced. I wonder if anyone else has run into this audible cinch from the bottom bracket and if there is a recognizable cause?
Old 09-22-13, 01:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by joedab
This is on a bicycle with a spindle and cup, caged bearing bottom bracket that I have overhauled a few times within the last year because of some vague and minor issues that have developed. Since the last overhaul, the drive-side cup and lock ring have remained tight except the bike has developed a -cinching- click type of sound with cranking up the steepest of slopes.

I have had this problem arise before more than once with a sealed cartridge bottom bracket for which the BB can simply be replaced. I wonder if anyone else has run into this audible cinch from the bottom bracket and if there is a recognizable cause?
If you have a ball retainer, hear crunching, and the cup loosens, my first 10 guesses would be that the retainer is upside down (reversed) and is dragging on the cup. Guss 11 would be grasping at straws, so I suggest you check very carefully which way the retainer fits.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-22-13, 01:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4235 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,355 Posts
Of course others have had this problem. We see it at work often. Many causes exist. The basic understanding is any two parts that touch could be slightly rubbing and this movement heard as a creak, squeak, tick, click. There are many part interfaces in the crank area. Pedal cages on pedal bodies, pedal bearings, pedal axles in crank arms, chain ring bolts in rings and arms, arms on BB axle, BB bearings, BB cups or cartridge in BB shell. And i probably have missed a few. Your job is to go through each and every one of these connection points and take apart, clean, lube, tighten or otherwise insure that each is not a problem. The scientific method is to do one spot at a time and see the results. Real life in a shop is to do a bunch of easy and quick things first that don't require taking things apart. Good luck. Andy.
Old 09-22-13, 01:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,579 Posts
I read your post too fast, and somehow came away with the idea that the cup worked loose.

Re-reading I see that wasn't the case, so I'll modify my advice.

Before touching the BB, or even going near it, remove both pedals, clean the threads and mating faces on both the pedals and crank arms and replace. If you have a spare set of Pedals you know to be OK install them as a control and test ride.

Pedal threads are a common cause of clicking or creaking under load, and though they're not the most common cause, they're the easiest and cheapest to diagnose and rule in or out as a cause.

I don't know any mechanic who ever regretted checking pedal threads as a possible cause, but I know many who've regretted time wasted because they didn't check this.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-22-13, 02:07 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I usually put another set of pedals on to see if clicking still happens.
Old 09-22-13, 09:57 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
+=1. And make sure the bearing surfaces on the spindle are greased.