Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-22, 04:01 PM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Bikes: Moots Routt45, Wabi Thunder, Gazelle Lo Pro, Gazelle Champion Modial 753, Pinarello F8, Pinarello steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
There is a bike shop in the Netherlands by that name. Pedaleur Bikes - Fietsenwinkel, Webshop & professionele fietswerkplaats
Old 03-04-22, 03:58 AM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rjsmit1

Gazelle 753
A really nice bike! I owned one some years ago in the same color scheme, once belonged to a cycling team "Europolis". It was made with Reynolds 531c tubing. Pictures will come or could possibly be found in this forum.
Old 03-04-22, 09:26 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by 1oldtrackie
That's going in my desktop rotation.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 03-04-22, 09:26 AM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 37 Posts
- deleted photos etc as another member stated Belgium was not the Netherlands. My apologies for showing the bike ( Plum Vainqueur )

Last edited by 1oldtrackie; 03-05-22 at 06:56 AM. Reason: wrong country to show
Old 03-04-22, 09:39 AM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Bikes: Moots Routt45, Wabi Thunder, Gazelle Lo Pro, Gazelle Champion Modial 753, Pinarello F8, Pinarello steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hajo
A really nice bike! I owned one some years ago in the same color scheme, once belonged to a cycling team "Europolis". It was made with Reynolds 531c tubing. Pictures will come or could possibly be found in this forum.
Thanks so much for that insight. I bought this bicycle from an Ebay seller located in California who stated that he bought it from a team mechanic and that it had been a team bike. He did not know which team, so this is helpful information. I will try to find more information on the Europolis Team. Thank you.
Old 03-05-22, 06:57 AM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 37 Posts
I deleted the photos etc of the Plum Vainqueur. My apologies for not recognizing it was Belgium made.
Likes For 1oldtrackie:
Old 03-05-22, 12:48 PM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts

Old Gazelle, 1964 I believe.
Likes For Millstone:
Old 03-05-22, 01:00 PM
Millstone

Duell Professional with (finally!) the brake cable through the top tube. The innertube(?) of the toptube wich th cable should follow, is loose on the back end. But I've managed... Now: doing miles on it, dialing it in, replacing stuff as I go and put some tape on it :-) And maybe paint it...
Likes For Millstone:
Old 03-07-22, 06:58 AM
Millstone

Just found this:

Because I can only find a 1991 catalogue. And mine is from 1992 (time of this footage). But fun to watch. In Dutch though.
Likes For Millstone:
Old 03-07-22, 02:01 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by 1oldtrackie
I deleted the photos etc of the Plum Vainqueur. My apologies for not recognizing it was Belgium made.
No worries, we have a thread for those as well!

Show us your Belgian bikes!

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-09-22, 07:28 AM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Millstone
Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mq7Skbfv08

Because I can only find a 1991 catalogue. And mine is from 1992 (time of this footage). But fun to watch. In Dutch though.
Thanks for the video, mine Duell is also from 1992. I also have the same watch that Jan van Dalen is wearing is this video (a Citizen Aqualand Duplex).
Old 03-10-22, 12:40 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by paulkal
(...) I also have the same watch that Jan van Dalen is wearing is this video (a Citizen Aqualand Duplex).

BTW, we do have a thread on interesting watches. Of course we do.

We have dog threads, sewing machine thread, how about a watch thread

Old 04-01-22, 08:47 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
You just convinced me to not sell my pair of Retrofrictions...

Originally Posted by hazetguy
I've made a few changes to the Gazelle since purchased, even since the past pic I posted.
Switched to a Shimano 6206 crankset, in case I'd want to go with a triple and perhaps bigger gearing at some point. Running it as a double right now.
Got a Nitto Dynamic II stem (thanks a lot Van!) in a effort to get just a very slight rise in the handlebars without using a Technomic.
Changed the brake calipers from Arabesque to slightly newer Shimano 6207. I mostly didn't like the cable attachment style on the Arabesque.
Acquired some Specialized Touring pedals that were on a bike I purchased locally. Wow, those pedals are NICE!
Installed a Specialized seatpost. I wanted micro-adjustability (and just happened to have the seatpost in my parts bin), as the previously installed Laprade would not allow for that. Have the saddle nearly dialed in now.
And lastly, for now anyway, I put on a set of Simplex Retrofriction shifters. Can't really describe how "different" they are from other shifters, other than what's been said before by others. They are simply amazing, and the feel is like nothing else. Wow!
There are some minor adjustments still to be made, but for now, it's pretty much where I want it to be. Trimming the brake cable housings is on the agenda. Wanted to wait to do that until brakes and handlebar height were figured out. I'm considering handlebars without so much reach and drop. Next big step will be some different wheels.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 09-24-22, 12:01 PM
Hajo

Originally Posted by Hajo
.... Gazelle Exception 731 OS from 1996. Size 62 cm.
A little over a year ago I posted this picture of my new project. Since I have been thinking about correct colours and finally sent to a superb bike painter, again in Goes (NL)

This is the end result. Finished in Royal Blue (Koningsblauw) and Ivory White (Ivoorwit), a pearle white that was already on the bike before. Correct for the year of the bike (1996) and fortunately I had samples for the Blue in my collection. Also I chose the older styling rather than the Goldline styling I bought it with.
I started the rebuild with the Shimano Ultegra 6500 groupset this weekend, and hope to finish it in a week. Still waiting for some decals, the Reynolds 731 OS is on its way, and the Noblex decals are "in progress" 😀
Likes For Hajo:
Old 10-25-22, 08:06 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 2,238 Times in 1,051 Posts
Recent pick-up, initial ride, several things I want to change, but for now, it is what it is.

Likes For hazetguy:
Old 10-25-22, 10:52 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Recent pick-up, initial ride, several things I want to change, but for now, it is what it is.
Nice! A late eighties AA Super with even later decals perhaps?

So, how does it ride? Comfy fit, by the looks of it.

Old 10-25-22, 11:19 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked 3,341 Times in 2,180 Posts
Originally Posted by Millstone

Old Gazelle, 1964 I believe.
-----

even by omafiets standards these angles look shallow!

-----
Old 10-25-22, 11:33 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts

One of the few bikes I would change my no buy rule. It would be interesting to compare the ride with my AA Gazelle.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 10-25-22, 12:14 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 2,238 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice! A late eighties AA Super with even later decals perhaps?

So, how does it ride? Comfy fit, by the looks of it.

Going off the serial number chart on https://www.gazellechampionmondial.nl/ it is an '85 (3289XXX), which would make the decals wrong. Even the tubing decal is wrong. I knew this going into the purchase, so I wasn't surprised by it. Unfortunately the tubing decal (Reynolds Double Butted Tandem Tubing) is under the clearcoat, so it is not easily removable / switchable. The Gazelle and CM stickers are above the paint, so I guess I could remove them and put the correct decals on if I wanted to. For now I can deal with it.

I did a few things before riding it. Put on a more user friendly cassette for the hills around here, changed the crank and bb from Shimano 600 6207 to Dura Ace 7700, put on Specialized "touring" pedals, a titanium bottle cage, re-wrapped the handlebars a little more nicely (with the bar tape that was on there at the time of purchase). Another thing I had to do, which I thought odd, was to fully seat the fork crown race. When I took it for a 'test ride' at time of purchase I noticed that the fork was sticking out oddly at the bottom, and the front had a 'clunky' sound. The fork crown race needed to be seated about 3mm further than it was! So I seated that, added another spacer to the top (you can barely see that I arranged the spacers in the order of the flag of Netherlands), as I think the original headset would have been a Stronglight with a taller stack height. I might put one on, as I really like those headsets.

I am not a fan of the tires that are on there now. I think they detracted a bit from the overall ride. I am planning on putting some tubulars on it soon. I'm also not a huge fan of the Rolls saddle, but I had it, it was better than what was on it when I bought the bike, but I'm gonna start looking for a Brooks Pro to put on.

All of that said: the initial ride was about 22 miles. I was battling headwinds and hills for most of the time. The few moments of non-headwinds were nice, and the bike really accelerated quickly when I "stomped on it" (with all of my out-of-shape power!). So I know there is potential with regards to quick acceleration. Ride quality was pretty darn nice. Very smooth handling. Very quick response to turning, avoiding small potholes / rocks / road debris, seemed to quickly want to 'come back to center' and continue in a straight line like an arrow. Turn the bars a bit, you're there, but definitely not lurchy or twitchy at all, despite the short wheelbase. Felt very solid overall. I need to do the typical minor adjustments to dial in the fit and comfort, but as it was on the first ride was pretty sweet!
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 10-25-22, 02:16 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 371 Posts
Van Tuyl VT950 Titanio
Sold at the Van Tuyl shop, but constructed by Vidmantas “Vitas” Zukauskas of Wittson Custom Ti Cycles
Old 10-25-22, 02:29 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

(you can barely see that I arranged the spacers in the order of the flag of Netherlands)

Old 10-25-22, 02:39 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Chuckk
Van Tuyl VT950 Titanio
Sold at the Van Tuyl shop, but constructed by Vidmantas “Vitas” Zukauskas of Wittson Custom Ti Cycles
Those 'late' Van Tuyls are nice. I bought a VT 550 frame as a COVID project last year, and built it up with a Chorus group. It has fender eyelets, but those are apparently just for show purposes ...

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 07-02-23, 08:45 AM
Hajo

Two more lovely Gazelle bikes have been completed today.
First a Gazelle Team KNSB from 1996, formerly ridden by Jan de Kok, an professional ice skater and later became the national coach of the Norwegian ice skating team. Build with a nice Sachs New Succes groupset.

Second a Gazelle AB that has been with me for a few years now. Custom marble-look paint job, used to have Shimano 600EX on it but I changed it to Campagnolo Chorus. With my favorite brakes and levers, Monoplanars and C Record Powergrade, not quite period correct as this groupset is a bit of a mixup of several Chorus components.

Ready for many more kilometers now. And a great excuse to use this colour handlebar tape.
Likes For Hajo:
Old 07-15-23, 03:18 AM
Hajo

And another one finished, a 1996 Gazelle Exception 731OS in size 62 cm ct. Repainted, chroom was really nice, NOS Shimano Ultegra 6500 groupset on it. New Noblex decals made from scratch by Lattz, for which I can't thank him enough!
Likes For Hajo:
Old 01-30-24, 08:30 AM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I came across this pretty rare example. Build by Peter Serier for his own brand. Serier was also known to be working as a builder for the Presto and Peka shops in the late seventies.

Pretty nice condition I would say, Campagnolo Grand Sport groupset and with a working Portacatena system

Likes For pullup: