Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Will Versus have an HD feed anytime?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 02:19 PM
pagliaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The picture quality of their broadcasts is terrible, especially on a big HDTV. I hope they are planning to upgrade to HD soon.
Old 07-16-08, 02:54 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a Vs. HD. On DishNetwork it shares an HD slot with Golf Network, so sometimes you lose out to a big golf tournament during primetime, but it's there.
Old 07-16-08, 02:58 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
There's a Vs. HD. On DishNetwork it shares an HD slot with Golf Network, so sometimes you lose out to a big golf tournament during primetime, but it's there.
It's not really HD, just upconverted SD. It's better than nothing, but it's not HD.

Az
Old 07-16-08, 03:09 PM
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
It's not really HD, just upconverted SD. It's better than nothing, but it's not HD.

Az
same thing on direcTV. maybe it's not true hd, but it sure looks a ton better than their regular broadcast

-Fyodor Dostoevsky's Grand Inquisitor
Old 07-16-08, 03:43 PM
FriendlyFred

Bikes: BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All of these different networks around the world that are covering the Tour are using the same feed and the same cameras, and are then inserting their own commentary. As far as I know, they don't even have control of which cameras are on the air (clean feeds from each camera that the network could then 'switch' between themselves). The Tour IS being shot in HD (see the info below), but the networks like Versus are choosing to down-convert to SD:

__________________________________________________________________________________
Also for the first time in history: the Tour de France will this year be filmed and produced in High Definition by France Télévisions. A race like the Tour with different stages filmed in HD has never been done before and this means that all material needs to be adapted, including the cameras being used on motorcycles and helicopters.

Based on these High Definition images, France Télévisions produces a specific channel on which the Tour de France will be broadcasted 24 hours a day during the whole period from July 7th till 29th: all stages will be broadcasted fully and live and will be commented by France Télévisions journalists (the comments for the normal TV channels France 2 and France 3 and this channel will not be the same). In the evening, at night and on rest days the stages will be repeated to come to a 24 hour programme which totals about 500 broadcasting hours of which 100 live.

In France the HD channel can be received in two ways:
- through DVB-T (digitale television over the air) for people who are equiped with an HD DVB-T receiver and an HD ready or Full HD TV and live in the areas around the TV towers on the Eiffel tower in Paris, on Fourvière in Lyon and in the Etoile area in Marseille (see coverage maps below)
- via TV over ADSL from Orange: all cable-, satellite- and ADSL-operators were proposed to broadcast this channel but -as the press release mentions- only Orange took this chance and will thus have an exclusivity by being able to offer this channel to its customers through La TV d'Orange via ADSL or optical fiber in the cities where HD TV is available
Old 07-17-08, 06:29 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be great, on my 63" the SD is pretty fuzzy. I will say it is better than previous years though but that just might be my cable carrier.

2013 Noah RS
Old 07-17-08, 06:46 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by smoke
same thing on direcTV. maybe it's not true hd, but it sure looks a ton better than their regular broadcast
That was my thinking. It looks noticeably better on the VSHD channel.
Old 07-17-08, 06:49 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
That was my thinking. It looks noticeably better on the VSHD channel.
Me too. But it would be nice to be able to see that true HD feed from France! But then given today's doping news, maybe not.
Old 07-17-08, 08:27 AM
drainyoo

Bikes: Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FriendlyFred
All of these different networks around the world that are covering the Tour are using the same feed and the same cameras, and are then inserting their own commentary. As far as I know, they don't even have control of which cameras are on the air (clean feeds from each camera that the network could then 'switch' between themselves). The Tour IS being shot in HD (see the info below), but the networks like Versus are choosing to down-convert to SD:
Why the hell would they down-covert. Their feed looks terrible.
Old 07-17-08, 10:46 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Me too. But it would be nice to be able to see that true HD feed from France! But then given today's doping news, maybe not.
Who wants to see all the track marks on the riders, anyway?
Old 07-17-08, 10:48 AM
kc0bbq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drainyoo
If the revenue from ads due to viewership numbers is too low to support buying the extra satellite bandwidth, they're going to downconvert. Just a possibility, I imagine there are other reasons.
Old 07-17-08, 10:48 AM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
Who wants to see all the track marks on the riders, anyway?
I do! I do!
Old 07-17-08, 02:17 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drainyoo
Bandwidth. HiDef requires a ton more room than SD. Both cable and satellite have a limited amount of bandwidth. Would they rather use it for NASCAR, Football, and Jay Leno or for some fringe element sport that only attracts a half million viewers.

Az
Old 07-17-08, 02:30 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Az B
Bandwidth. HiDef requires a ton more room than SD. Both cable and satellite have a limited amount of bandwidth. Would they rather use it for NASCAR, Football, and Jay Leno or for some fringe element sport that only attracts a half million viewers.

Az
Who needs to see cars turn left, or get grossed out by Jay's chin in HD?