Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is a Rivendell Sam Hillborne a good choice for me?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is a Rivendell Sam Hillborne a good choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 07:32 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I have the virus from N+1 now and I am looking really hard for a new Cannondale or Masi.
Bill,

One of the local shops that I go to is a Cannondale, Masi, Colnago, Scott, Fuji, Kuota, Pinarello and Kestrel dealer. All these gorgeous bikes under one roof. I can't go in there anymore without leaving with the N+1 virus. They have this Colnago Ace that has my name on it. There is another bike shop that I go to for my fittings that has a Bianchi Infinuto that also has my name on it. The bug is there! Now which one do I want?

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-19-12, 07:40 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
There are a fair number of stems out there with considerable angle...I know this because on a couple of time trial bikes I needed to get lower than the head tube. I'd check that out first, though going higher might not be the answer. A shorter stem might be better.

I'm not a big fan of Rivendell or Waterford steel...a lot of money for a steel rehash. You can get the same or better ride out of a number of mid 80's frames which give you both retro cool and money to go do stuff, like buy better components. I trained on an 87 cromo Trek for a year...really superb ride. $100 frame that I built up.

Bar end shifters...are going backwards. Every shift you're having to go to the drops and you're increasing the time it takes to get to the brakes, along with being slightly off balance if you're just going to one side.
One thing I'm big on is the right saddle. While the OP's issues aren't going to be cured by that, there's a lot of "sympathetic" pain that goes with having not exactly the right saddle (or the right saddle set wrong).

Love to try a Brooks someday.

Some might suggest there is an inconsistency between these two.
Old 01-19-12, 07:46 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
recreational riding and occasional light tour = Sam Hillborne

pace lines = Roubaix

N + 1 = yes
Old 01-19-12, 09:56 AM
PatKendall

Bikes: Roubaix Comp Triple

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts. Been looking at stuff on the internet for weeks, but but this is much more helpful.

FYI, My rear end is extremely happy on my Brooks B17.
Old 01-19-12, 11:04 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Some might suggest there is an inconsistency between these two.
Nah. Unless you sit on your shifters then maybe. Or use your saddle to shift.

Takeaway looks and weight and some of the all carbon saddles out these days are identical to many Brooks in design parameters. No padding, use a flexible layer of material to provide comfort. Functionally they are identical. And Specialized took a page from them and started offering different widths in the same model.

The bar end comment was more about having everything at your fingertips with STI. OP didn't go looking for bar ends, or down tube shifters for that matter, both of which are retro chic while he seems more concerned with practical matters.

And just an FYI on comfort, a few years ago I was a crash test dummy in some fork (blind) testing. The two most comfortable forks were a Specialized Roubaix and (wait for it) an old school chromoly job.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 01-19-12 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 12:20 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And just an FYI on comfort, a few years ago I was a crash test dummy in some fork (blind) testing. The two most comfortable forks were a Specialized Roubaix and (wait for it) an old school chromoly job.
The "Zertz" inserts Specialized uses in the Roubaix are apparently more than marketing hype, as the Roubaix wins comfort oriented tests, both road and lab. And I'm betting the chromoly fork has that nice classic bend, which, along with a taper, provides some damping.
Old 01-19-12, 01:20 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Nah. Unless you sit on your shifters then maybe. Or use your saddle to shift.
It's been decades since I sat on my shifters.
Old 01-19-12, 01:30 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
It's been decades since I sat on my shifters.
...but I frequently shift on my saddle.
Old 01-19-12, 01:34 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The Roubaix is one bike that is noted for comfort. The longer headtube helps in this but the bike is "Probably" the most comfortable performance bike out there.

But Bike set up is the critical factor.

I made a few mistakes with my first road bike 6 years ago. Frame one size too small- and to alleviate back and neck pain--I raised the bars to just above the saddle.

For my body--that was wrong. As I found out with my second bike- I prefer a longer stretched out ride position and the bars were 4" below the saddle. Next bike and I went for some comfort and set the bars level with the saddle but have gradually adjusted the height--To be 4" below the saddle. So I would suggest that Fit is possibly one of the critical factors.

And on neck ache--This took some training after 16 years of MTB's and at the gym I put my neck through some mobility tests. I did not have the movement I thought I should have so gentle weights for a few sessions and my neck loosened up and had more mobility. The other thing I did was take the visor off my MTB helmet so I did not have to raise my head quite so much to look under it.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-20-12, 09:22 AM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
The Roubaix is one bike that is noted for comfort. The longer headtube helps in this but the bike is "Probably" the most comfortable performance bike out there.

But Bike set up is the critical factor.

I made a few mistakes with my first road bike 6 years ago. Frame one size too small- and to alleviate back and neck pain--I raised the bars to just above the saddle.

For my body--that was wrong. As I found out with my second bike- I prefer a longer stretched out ride position and the bars were 4" below the saddle. Next bike and I went for some comfort and set the bars level with the saddle but have gradually adjusted the height--To be 4" below the saddle. So I would suggest that Fit is possibly one of the critical factors.

And on neck ache--This took some training after 16 years of MTB's and at the gym I put my neck through some mobility tests. I did not have the movement I thought I should have so gentle weights for a few sessions and my neck loosened up and had more mobility. The other thing I did was take the visor off my MTB helmet so I did not have to raise my head quite so much to look under it.
Stamfam, that's interesting. To me it's counter-intuitive, though I have not doubt that its worked for you. Thanks for the input.

Let me ask this. If the fitting is done "right," is it safe to assume that a higher handlebar will result in less stress on the neck and shoulders? Seems logical and I've gotten some relief as we've tweaked the fit and raised the bar.
Old 01-20-12, 09:27 AM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
It's real easy to overthink this but I ended up with a Hunqapillar which had basically the same geometry but heavier tubing.
This is the story of my tortured decision.
If you're asking about comfort,this is all I got.
I finally had a chance to go to your blog. Great stuff. Beautiful bike. Thanks!

I'm a "overthinker" by nature. Actually I often enjoy the "chase" as much or more than the "catch." I'm lovin' all I'm learnin' about Riv bikes, alternatives, fitting, etc.

Last edited by PatKendall; 01-20-12 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-20-12, 11:54 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatKendall
Let me ask this. If the fitting is done "right," is it safe to assume that a higher handlebar will result in less stress on the neck and shoulders? Seems logical and I've gotten some relief as we've tweaked the fit and raised the bar.
Not a safe enough assumption to rely on. My bars are lower than ever, and I just did a fast century with no neck or shoulder issues. I used to have them on the long rides. Most of the difference, though, is fitness. The only "safe" approach is to set something up and ride it for hours, which is why I suggested you use whatever means are necessary to get the bars on your Roubaix even higher, and ride like that for awhile before taking the N+1 plunge as a means to solving your neck/shoulder issues. Otherwise you could find yourself with a beautiful new bike, but the same physical issues. I have come to the belief that how stretched out you are is a huge factor in the whole neck/shoulder thing; stretched out being better than hunched up. The Roubaix has a fairly long top tube. The current 'trend' is towards being stretched out - watch the Tour Down Under currently underway, and you will see what I mean. It's fast, and also generally confortable, especially if you ride reasonably fast, which takes weight off your hands, and generally relaxes your upper body.
Old 01-20-12, 11:58 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Stamfam, that's interesting. To me it's counter-intuitive, though I have not doubt that its worked for you. Thanks for the input.

Works not only for me- but for a lot of the experienced riders here. Main problem for most of us is backache and by taking the "Vertical" strain off the vertebrae- it works.

Above are of the two bikes and you can see the Black bike has the bars up to saddle height.

But the Main part for comfort (Neck and back)-was getting that longer Lower position. Admittedly that first bike was one size too small- but to get comfort I raised the bars and extended them away a bit with a new stem. It was never really comfortable. Next bike and the shop set it up and told me to ride it. Did a 5 mile ride up a hill and went back to the shop to adjust a few things. They had set the bike up after seeing me ride the old one--They knew what I needed.

BUT--Test ride a few bikes. Try the lower longer position- Try what you think is right- One of them will work.

In fact you can try it on the Roubaix you now have--Flip the stem to get a lower position-Or take spacers out and try it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Local1.jpg (39.3 KB, 28 views)
Sideview.jpg (50.2 KB, 30 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 01-20-12, 12:25 PM
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Sam last year. Mostly ride recreationally, but did tour the C & O and the Allegeny this past Fall. Great bike. I really like the bar ends. It took a while getting accustomed, but after a while, they were very comfortable. The pay off for bar ends is that they are usually much easier to work on than STI if you're out in Timbukto with no paddle.
Old 01-20-12, 10:03 PM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AzTallRider and stapfam, I went by the bike shop today. They are going to continue to work with me on the Roubaix. I'm going to give the Roubaix as much time as I need. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-20-12, 10:08 PM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curdog
I bought a Sam last year. Mostly ride recreationally, but did tour the C & O and the Allegeny this past Fall. Great bike. I really like the bar ends. It took a while getting accustomed, but after a while, they were very comfortable. The pay off for bar ends is that they are usually much easier to work on than STI if you're out in Timbukto with no paddle.
Congrats on the Sam. Glad it's working out for you. Just curious about the bar end shifters. Now that you've gotten used to them, do you prefer them over the STI type? Are you comfortable with them when you're in close proximity to other riders--drafting, etc.? Thanks!
Old 01-21-12, 03:57 AM
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride too often in organized pace lines. I really can't say I prefer them to brifters. All I'm saying is that they don't make me feel unsafe and their simplicity of design is important in touring. If I was going to spend the majority of my time in pace lines or racing, brifters would be my choice.
By the way, don't forget that the Riv csan be built to your spec. If you want brifters, I'm sure Grant would be quick to accomodate.

Last edited by curdog; 01-21-12 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 01-22-12, 05:44 PM
Velo Fellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brifters vs. bar-ends? Considering that many here began riding when down tube shifters were most common....I wonder how many can attribute crashes to reaching back for the bar-ends to shift. I ride with brifters as well as bar-ends and find I just slip into a different shifting mode for each. Certanly the brifters are more convenient, but not monumentally so.

Ignoring the steel vs. carbon frame thing, a real issue here is contemporary headsets vs. older style threaded. With a threaded headset, the OP can simply get an ever longer quil/shorter or longer extension right on up to a gooseneck that will reset the angle of his back (and, perhaps uncomfortably so, throw more weight onto his butt.) Rivendell does offer that option on their bikes......a concrete possibility that goes beyond just retro-panache.
Old 01-23-12, 10:19 AM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curdog
I don't ride too often in organized pace lines. I really can't say I prefer them to brifters. All I'm saying is that they don't make me feel unsafe and their simplicity of design is important in touring. If I was going to spend the majority of my time in pace lines or racing, brifters would be my choice.
By the way, don't forget that the Riv csan be built to your spec. If you want brifters, I'm sure Grant would be quick to accomodate.
That's helpful. Thanks. When I talked to Riv, they told me they could outfit the bike with brifters, but it would "defeat the purpose." I take it that's about reliability, simplicity, cost, etc. of the barends.
Old 01-23-12, 10:30 AM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
Brifters vs. bar-ends? Considering that many here began riding when down tube shifters were most common....I wonder how many can attribute crashes to reaching back for the bar-ends to shift. I ride with brifters as well as bar-ends and find I just slip into a different shifting mode for each. Certanly the brifters are more convenient, but not monumentally so.

Ignoring the steel vs. carbon frame thing, a real issue here is contemporary headsets vs. older style threaded. With a threaded headset, the OP can simply get an ever longer quil/shorter or longer extension right on up to a gooseneck that will reset the angle of his back (and, perhaps uncomfortably so, throw more weight onto his butt.) Rivendell does offer that option on their bikes......a concrete possibility that goes beyond just retro-panache.
Thanks for the help and perspective on the the shifters.

The LBS just ordered a stem for my Roubaix to put me up a little higher. $60...about what the older style Nitto stems sell for. Either way, it ain't cheap.
Old 01-23-12, 10:50 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

That's helpful. Thanks. When I talked to Riv, they told me they could outfit the bike with brifters, but it would "defeat the purpose." I take it that's about reliability, simplicity, cost, etc. of the barends.
...and style/philosophy. Rivendell's niche is high quality bikes that do not follow the latest trends, continuing to use good older technology that didn't stop being good when the mainstream market left it behind. Not surprising they would be reluctant to put brifters on their bikes, but there are many out there that do have them. The term "retrogrouch" was coined to describe Grant Petersen back in his days with Bridgestone.

I have been a fan of GP since the early 90s when I became a charter member of the Bridgestone Owner's Bunch (BOB). It was cool when I would call to order something from the BOB Gazzette (which evolved into the Rivendell Reader) and Grant himself would answer the phone and take the order, offering advice on my choices. He called me "the one from Georgia" after a couple of such calls. I didn't and still don't always follow his suggestions, but I doubt I would ever have experienced the joys of Brooks saddles and Suntour bar end shifters without his influence.
Old 01-23-12, 11:43 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
...and style/philosophy. Rivendell's niche is high quality bikes that do not follow the latest trends, continuing to use good older technology that didn't stop being good when the mainstream market left it behind. Not surprising they would be reluctant to put brifters on their bikes, but there are many out there that do have them. The term "retrogrouch" was coined to describe Grant Petersen back in his days with Bridgestone.
+1 It's a poor assumption that all new technology is "better". My oldest son just recently learned this lesson with one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: png
hand_drills.png (67.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-23-12, 10:57 PM
Velo Fellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sentimental journey, Bluesdawg. BoB Member #1031 here. (Skip the secret handshake.) Grant immediately following the Bridgestone collapse was kool: I bought some great Mavic "old style" stuff from him, welcomed his advice, found a million uses for beeswax, and bought a sweet riding (still is) Romulus. Somewhere, Grant became very conscious of being a unique/boutique cycling source. The expensive plaid touring bags marked a turning point for me.

His core concept of siimplicity and function before complexity and obsolescence is still a good one. The OP is struggling to find a good fit for his own needs. One is left wondering if older style bikes and components, infinitely mixable albeit sometimes quirky, might have offered a greater range of options and an easier path to a fit. That said, I don't miss overshifting, 5 speed freewheels, or chasing loose ball bearings across the garage floor.
Old 01-24-12, 07:56 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
The stem has an insert in it and if you give that a half turn, that will put your bars above the saddle. When I had mine and played around with the adjustments, that would put my bars 2" above the saddle. After riding for a while and wanting to get more stretched out, I ended 2" below the saddle. I would keep what you have and play around with the adjustment. That Roubaix is a pretty comfortable bike.
Old 01-24-12, 08:30 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Attached Images
BOB card sm.jpg (71.4 KB, 8 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.