Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is a Rivendell Sam Hillborne a good choice for me?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is a Rivendell Sam Hillborne a good choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 10:02 AM
PatKendall

Bikes: Roubaix Comp Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some conclusions I'm coming to as I think through all this:

-I'm going to keep working with the Roubaix (which I love) until I'm convinced I've pushed the fit to make it as comfortable as possible.

-I would like to have a bike that's more comfortable than the Roubaix and is suitable for longer recreational rides, light touring and maybe even ultracycling events.

-N+1 factor is definitely at work.

-The retro/quality thing appeals to me. Love the idea of owning a Rivendell.

-I enjoy the "search" as much as the "find." I'm going to continue to research this for a while before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-12, 10:15 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatKendall
Some conclusions I'm coming to as I think through all this:

-I'm going to keep working with the Roubaix (which I love) until I'm convinced I've pushed the fit to make it as comfortable as possible.

-I would like to have a bike that's more comfortable than the Roubaix and is suitable for longer recreational rides, light touring and maybe even ultracycling events.

-N+1 factor is definitely at work.

-The retro/quality thing appeals to me. Love the idea of owning a Rivendell.

-I enjoy the "search" as much as the "find." I'm going to continue to research this for a while before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
I think you've just described about a third of us.
Old 01-24-12, 04:29 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PatKendall,
Two weeks ago my wife and I were in Walnut Creek, CA and took the opportunity to stop by Rivendell. I'm happy to report these people are the real deal; true bicycle enthusiasts. I got the opportunity to meet Grant as well as a couple other members of the staff, and I can honestly say they practice what they preach. Shortly after we arrived, Grant rode up on his current commuter, a prototype in development, and wasn’t wearing a stich of lycra. He didn’t look at all like what I had pictured in my mind, nor did he behave like so many anti-Rivendell posters would like you to believe.
We were there because my wife was interested in the Betty Foy. I was just interested in checking out Rivendell. We fully disclosed the fact we were just looking, but they still took the time to measure us both and encouraged us to go for a ride. I, on the A. Holmer Hilsen and she on the Betty Foy.
We were both impressed by the quality of the product and the quality of the ride. What’s interesting is that we were both put on frames much larger than you’d expect. For example, I currently ride two different vintage 58cm road bike frames. The Hilsen they set me up on was a 65cm. If I hadn’t personally experienced it, I would have never believed it.
My advice regarding the Roubaix wouldn’t be to give up on it, but I wouldn’t try to make it into something it isn’t. If you can afford both, and have room in the stable, I’d certainly consider a Hilborne. I’ve got nothing against the Roubaix. I’d like to have one myself. But I think it is a different tool and in most cases fits a different purpose than a fat tire Hilborne.
Old 01-24-12, 11:36 PM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I think you've just described about a third of us.
Thanks! That's what I like about "support groups." Helps you realize you're not crazy--or that you're not the only one who's crazy!
Old 01-24-12, 11:42 PM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt
PatKendall,
Two weeks ago my wife and I were in Walnut Creek, CA and took the opportunity to stop by Rivendell. I'm happy to report these people are the real deal; true bicycle enthusiasts. I got the opportunity to meet Grant as well as a couple other members of the staff, and I can honestly say they practice what they preach. Shortly after we arrived, Grant rode up on his current commuter, a prototype in development, and wasn’t wearing a stich of lycra. He didn’t look at all like what I had pictured in my mind, nor did he behave like so many anti-Rivendell posters would like you to believe.
We were there because my wife was interested in the Betty Foy. I was just interested in checking out Rivendell. We fully disclosed the fact we were just looking, but they still took the time to measure us both and encouraged us to go for a ride. I, on the A. Holmer Hilsen and she on the Betty Foy.
We were both impressed by the quality of the product and the quality of the ride. What’s interesting is that we were both put on frames much larger than you’d expect. For example, I currently ride two different vintage 58cm road bike frames. The Hilsen they set me up on was a 65cm. If I hadn’t personally experienced it, I would have never believed it.
My advice regarding the Roubaix wouldn’t be to give up on it, but I wouldn’t try to make it into something it isn’t. If you can afford both, and have room in the stable, I’d certainly consider a Hilborne. I’ve got nothing against the Roubaix. I’d like to have one myself. But I think it is a different tool and in most cases fits a different purpose than a fat tire Hilborne.
Wow. Thanks. Hard to imagine that a bike that much larger was a fit for you, but if I'm reading you right it worked.

I think your last paragraph describes exactly where I am probably headed. Buying a second bike is doable for me, but I don't want to pull the trigger until I've lived with my decision for a while.
Old 01-25-12, 06:22 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I finally had a chance to go to your blog. Great stuff. Beautiful bike. Thanks
Thank you!

Marc
Old 01-25-12, 06:44 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
That Roubaix sounds like a winner although the review of the Rivendale folks is pretty convincing if you want custom. It would be your choice and you are taking the right approach to deciding which bicycle. I pulled the trigger on a CAAD 10 4 last Saturday after several months of searching and research. Best of luck to you on the hunt.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-25-12, 09:09 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Thanks. Hard to imagine that a bike that much larger was a fit for you, but if I'm reading you right it worked.
Yes. It fit. I'm not sure why, but it did fit. If you decide to go with the Hilborne, and don't have the opportunity to test ride, be sure to work closely with them on this issue.

Matt
Old 01-25-12, 02:54 PM
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PatKendall,
My experience was similar. I normally ride 56 and the Riv was a 60.
Old 01-25-12, 07:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Grant does keep the company afloat selling a old school lugged frame and fork.

There are abundant local Builders that could do that for you as well..

Bikeschool.com resources , has along list of frame builders,
many the graduates of their frame building school.

Of course you could attend it, and DIY one you can name after yourself.
Old 01-26-12, 09:00 AM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What’s interesting is that we were both put on frames much larger than you’d expect. For example, I currently ride two different vintage 58cm road bike frames. The Hilsen they set me up on was a 65cm. If I hadn’t personally experienced it, I would have never believed it.
Hangtown & Curdog,

That is fascinating. My fitted Specialized Roubaix is a 58. On Riv's web site they recommend a 60 Sam, and Riv confirmed this by phone. I can't help but wonder if the federal consumer safety guidelines on standover height force Riv to put riders on bikes smaller than they would choose to otherwise when dealing with them over the phone, email, etc.

Hangtown, may I ask your PBH?
Old 01-26-12, 10:18 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hangtown & Curdog,

Hangtown, may I ask your PBH?

I'm 6' and shrinking at 54 yo. I have long legs for my height. My PBH, as measured at Rivendell, is 90cm.
Old 01-26-12, 11:04 AM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6' and shrinking at 54 yo. I have long legs for my height. My PBH, as measured at Rivendell, is 90cm.
Wow. I'm a shade over 6', nearly 64yo, 190#, and my PBH is 90cm. If I'm reading info on Riv's site correctly, it looks like they would generally recommend a 61-63cm frame for us:

https://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=41
Old 01-26-12, 01:39 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I'm a shade over 6', nearly 64yo, 190#, and my PBH is 90cm. If I'm reading info on Riv's site correctly, it looks like they would generally recommend a 61-63cm frame for us:

https://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=41
You are right. According to their chart we'd be 61-63. Scott, was the person who sized me. I remember him being concerned with how much seat post showed; strictly a looks thing I believe. The 65 worked, worked really well actually, but I felt just a tad stretched. However, this could be because I haven't been riding much since September and a little out of shape. But if I were to buy, and I just might, I'd be tempted to go with either a Hilsen in 63cm or a Sam in 64. You should shoot Scott an e-mail. He probably remembers us.

Matt
Old 01-26-12, 02:04 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My PBH is 99cm. If they are putting you guys on a 65, they'd probably put me on somethjing even taller than my 68cm Gunnar, which, now that I'm fitter, could use a bit more drop.
Old 01-26-12, 02:30 PM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got an email from Keven @ Riv. He suggested a 63 for me in the AHH. Says he rides an AHH 63 and his PBH is 89. Also indicated there was no problem with standover height.

AzTall, you certainly chose an appropriate nickname. :-)
Old 01-28-12, 09:39 PM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An update for anyone interested...

I put a new stem on the Roubaix. This puts my bars up a little higher with a tad shorter reach. Have ridden twice and like the feel. It will be later in the season before I have an opportunity to take it on the longer rides where I'm really looking for some relief.

I'm still looking at the Rivendells, esp the San Marcos and Hilsen. The Hillborne is still in the running, but is now in 3rd place. N+1 is alive and well.
Old 01-29-12, 08:16 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Pat,
What reach stem did you go to? Are you running it up or down in its angle?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-30-12, 10:12 PM
PatKendall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill, If I'm reading it right, +28 degrees.
Old 03-14-12, 01:28 PM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An update for anyone interested...

I put a new stem on the Roubaix. This puts my bars up a little higher with a tad shorter reach. Have ridden twice and like the feel. It will be later in the season before I have an opportunity to take it on the longer rides where I'm really looking for some relief.

I'm still looking at the Rivendells, esp the San Marcos and Hilsen. The Hillborne is still in the running, but is now in 3rd place. N+1 is alive and well.
Pat,

My wife and I went back to Rivendell Saturday. She really wanted to give the Betty Foy model a good test run. Right up front I told Grant I wasn't interested in the Sam Hilborne, but that I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity and give it a try. They set me up on a 60cm Hillborne and sent us on our way. Lisa and I didn't come back for about three hours. Walnut Creek is pretty bike friendly with tons of dirt and paved trails. To make a long story short, we came home with a Betty Foy and a Sam Hillborne. I have never felt so comfortable on a bicycle. I did not want to get off.

Matt
Old 03-14-12, 02:37 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PatKendall

Another perspective here - I am in my 50s, ride ~3000 - 4000 miles per year. A couple of weeks ago, I rode from my home in San Jose, to the NAHBS in Sacramento, and stopped at Rivendell on my way up. It was my first time to their shop, and I can echo what others have said about the shop. They practice what they preach, they don't offer a bad bike, they place quality over cost, and comfort over speed - all things that I can get behind. When I was up there, I test rode 3 of their bikes, and all were very comfortable. I don't think that you would regret it if you bought any Rivendell product.
That said, I own two custom made steel bikes. The philosophy that went into my frames is similar to the Rivendell philosophy, although both of my custom bikes sport drop bars and bend the tradeoff of speed vs comfort closer to the speed end of the spectrum than the Rivendell ideal - while still being far from most production frames. There are several reasons why for me, a custom frame was the right way to go. I was a part of the process, from the dreaming about the new bike, through design, component selection, etc - that means that the bike has more of me in it than any production frame would ever have - I am more invested in it. I also like the fact that I know the man who designed and built the frame, and he lived in the same neighborhood as I lived in. For me, being able to buy local and support local craftsmen has a fair amount of value.

If you are getting serious about a Rivendell, consider flying out to California and visiting their shop. You can ride the Hilbourne, Hilson and any others that you like. When I rode them, I really liked the feel of the Hilson, made me want to think about a new frame built around a 650b wheelset!
Old 03-14-12, 03:05 PM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pat,

My wife and I went back to Rivendell Saturday. To make a long story short, we came home with a Betty Foy and a Sam Hillborne. I have never felt so comfortable on a bicycle. I did not want to get off.

Matt
Congrats!

But first - lies, all lies!

(...until we see the pics)
Old 03-14-12, 04:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
RBW's frames are close enough in $ to just getting a small builder
to make one for you,
but then you have to sort out the fussy parts, specs, that will make it uniquely Yours
rather than a guy who just bought one of theirs, because of the Brand name..
Old 03-14-12, 04:50 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The HIllborne looks as if it is a nice bike, but for 2k you can have a custom frame to exactly fit your riding requirements, especially if you are comfortable with your fitter and they can help with the frame requirements. Working with a known local builder who can fit you is desirable and it is not uncommon for a custom steel frame to be priced around 1500-2k+ and a bit more for ti, but you probably know all of that. It seems that when you have a specific fit and style of riding issue and you are willing to spend about 2k for a frame, custom is a good option. Are there any custom builders near you?
Old 03-15-12, 10:29 AM
Hangtownmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I somewhat disagree with two posts above. Both the Sam Hillborne and Betty Foy frames cost well below custom steel. For example, the frames cost $1,050 each, not $2,000 and included fork, headset, bottom bracket, and frame saver treatment with ample customer service and test rides to ensure the best possible fit. A custom frame/fork from my local builder would have cost me $2,500. That would have been worth every penny to have gotten the right fit, but for me anyway, I was able to find that on the Hillborne. And, I can still get all fussy about parts and customize my bicycle anyway I want to make it uniquely mine. I came home with only a frame.

I'd also like to suggest that Grant Petersen may know a bit more about frame design and fit than many, if not most, local frame builders.

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.