Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observations on Weight Loss

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observations on Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 07:35 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
All due respect to your mother, but I found that if I maintained a higher level of activity, I actually lost about 40 pounds while eating a bit more. Everyone is different in this regard.
My experience in gaining or losing weight is extensive. The only permanent solution for me ('permanent' meaning something that lasts more than a year) is serious exercise. 10+ hours per week on a bike or 50 miles per week running is what it takes. I have never been 'permanently at my right weight' unless I was doing one of those things. And I have always been 'permanently too heavy' when I was not doing one of those things.

Your results may vary.

dave

Last edited by DaveLeeNC; 06-16-20 at 07:45 AM.
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 06-16-20, 08:15 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I disagree with the above. Those hours are ludicrous to "maintain" weight. I'd look into visiting a coach/nutritionist/doctor if that's necessary.

The reason lots of folks spend the time and don't get results has to do with the intensity of the work. I see a lot of NC folks I follow racking up 150mi+ bike weeks and always doing weekend century rides that are still a bit "over" on the weight side. I've seen em do multiple Raleigh to coast one day rides in a year.

Looking at the rides, they're fun and great exercise.......but they're Z1 snooze fests. At best Z2 during the ride. NOTHING wrong with that. Just needs to come with the understanding that intensity matters also.

Intensity affects insulin sensitivity, metabolism, physiology, and caloric expenditure. No need to work so hard as to vomit or lie on the roadside in the fetal position. But it's gotta hurt sometimes. Even the last hour of a Z2 ride should take some concentration if you were really in Z2 for the ride.

There's people who are pretty decent Cat 3 road racers who only average about 5 to 7 hours a week on the bike.

If it's taking 8, 10, 12 hours or 150mi on the bike or 50mi running to "hold" a weight that isn't a "hill climb race day weight"..........I'd seriously research what's going on. I'm not trying to give jabs, I'm totally serious. Something isn't right.

If it's maintaining a "race weight", yeah, that's tough. But a "good" normal day to day healthy person weight ought to be simple on even 4 hours a week on the bike.
Old 06-16-20, 09:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Old 06-16-20, 10:19 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I think that weight is very much dependent on the individual and a number of factors that hide the effectiveness of any individual claim. I'm a 64yo active wakeboarder. I do bike but only started in the last year and it has little to do with my weight. I never reach any of those "zones" while wakeboarding, but I do it 4 or 5 days a week and only spend about 30 min total time per day on the water. I eat a high carb, high fiber breakfast, and can eat pretty much anything I want at dinner (no lunch). The main dietary guideline I follow other than my high carb/fiber breakfast is to stay away from processed sugars in drinks and deserts.

I 100% agree that diet alone will not accomplish weight loss while giving your body the proper nutrients. And the same goes for only exercise. It takes both. I think the reason why wakeboarding works so well without having to reach a high intensity is because of the amount of muscle building it does. Something that is partly lacking in bike riding. Bikers are developing their legs and heart, but missing out in upper body. After starting to bike I found a lot of guys who were capable of riding hard but still had big bellies. So for bikers I would recommend adding any exercise that develops your upper body to achieve the full effect of losing/maintaining weight. And remember alcohol is fattening as well as processed sugars. Eat lots of whole fruits for that carb energy.

Anyway... that's my opinion on the subject.
Old 06-16-20, 10:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My most recent observation.....my GF and I used to eat out a lot. Hangin' out with friends and generally socializing. Since the pandemic.I've lost 10 lbs while still drinking bourbon every night and eating biscotti and other empty calorie stuff. For me it's the eating out.
Old 06-16-20, 10:52 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I disagree with the above. Those hours are ludicrous to "maintain" weight. I'd look into visiting a coach/nutritionist/doctor if that's necessary.

The reason lots of folks spend the time and don't get results has to do with the intensity of the work. I see a lot of NC folks I follow racking up 150mi+ bike weeks and always doing weekend century rides that are still a bit "over" on the weight side. I've seen em do multiple Raleigh to coast one day rides in a year.

Looking at the rides, they're fun and great exercise.......but they're Z1 snooze fests. At best Z2 during the ride. NOTHING wrong with that. Just needs to come with the understanding that intensity matters also.

Intensity affects insulin sensitivity, metabolism, physiology, and caloric expenditure. No need to work so hard as to vomit or lie on the roadside in the fetal position. But it's gotta hurt sometimes. Even the last hour of a Z2 ride should take some concentration if you were really in Z2 for the ride.

There's people who are pretty decent Cat 3 road racers who only average about 5 to 7 hours a week on the bike.

If it's taking 8, 10, 12 hours or 150mi on the bike or 50mi running to "hold" a weight that isn't a "hill climb race day weight"..........I'd seriously research what's going on. I'm not trying to give jabs, I'm totally serious. Something isn't right.

If it's maintaining a "race weight", yeah, that's tough. But a "good" normal day to day healthy person weight ought to be simple on even 4 hours a week on the bike.
I have no idea why you find my routine "ludicrous". It is what I do and what I do is not some "who ever heard of that before" kind of thing. Around here it is common, I believe. I do it because I occasionally take on something competitive (and that is what it takes), I want to be in good enough shape at all times to start training for something competitive, I like feeling fit, and it is all I need for weight control.

Now that I am past age 70 I am re-thinking this competitive thing and what it means to me. In the meantime....

I talked to my doctor about this at my last physical where the question was 'there are probably routines that will serve me better as I age - what do you think about that?" Note that he has seen me fit and seen me not fit - I have been fit since around 2012 (and 2003-2006 timeframe, and the early-mid 90's, and the late 70's to early 80's, and etc). His response was in summary 'that is true but this is working for you. I would be very cautious WRT making a change". And he made no suggestions WRT any changes I might make.

dave

ps. About 10 years ago I ran into a old HS buddy that I had not seen since HS. We were both athletic but his skills exceeded mine in all sports other than running (where I was an endurance type guy). He was trim and I asked him about his activities and (surprising to me) they were much like mine in 'fit years'. What I do makes sense WRT my athletic background, but not at all for him. I asked "Bob, why are you putting in all those cycling and treadmill hours". He said "Dave, I like to eat". I am not alone
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 06-16-20, 01:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

All due respect, but I lost 100 pounds from dieting alone, and an additional 40 pounds by working out with hours like outlined by DaveLeeNC above. I've kept that weight off for 4 years and counting. And you know what I've been told by doctors and nutritionists? Basically, it's pretty much statistically impossible to lose weight like that and keep it off without surgery.

So, since I'm actually doing what they consider to be statistically impossible, I really don't care about your opinion as to what's "normal" or what some Cat 3 riders do. I am most clearly not "normal".

And I work hard on my very long solo rides, I ain't snoozing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-16-20, 01:30 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I saw a Ted Talk by a micro-biologist where the main point is that cancer cells like sugar. Cancer has shown up in my family so I thought it a good idea to cut out almost all sugar. I have been over my high school weight as much as 10% but mostly not nearly that much. I do eat plenty of veggies and not much meat and eat moderate amounts except for desert. In my book, desert is a food group - the only one that makes you happy. With a super human effort, since about the last 3 months I've given up sugar and lost the last 5 pounds of fat, mostly around the waistline. I'm now at a bit less than high school weight. I have no chance of reaching a 31" waist line, ever again, more like 33" going on 34 but there is some more definition in the muscles. My main goal is to continue being as active as possible, lifting a few weights and riding my bike.
Old 06-16-20, 03:10 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
All due respect, but I lost 100 pounds from dieting alone, and an additional 40 pounds by working out with hours like outlined by DaveLeeNC above. I've kept that weight off for 4 years and counting. And you know what I've been told by doctors and nutritionists? Basically, it's pretty much statistically impossible to lose weight like that and keep it off without surgery.

So, since I'm actually doing what they consider to be statistically impossible, I really don't care about your opinion as to what's "normal" or what some Cat 3 riders do. I am most clearly not "normal".

And I work hard on my very long solo rides, I ain't snoozing.
That’s a unidirectional loss and sounds like an extreme circumstance. Not daily maintenance years later. I understood him to be talking about maintenance. If it works, fine. But 10hrs a week is 1/2 Ironman training time for three sports. If once you reach a healthy bmi it takes that to “hold” , I don’t know what to say for you.
Old 06-16-20, 04:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
I know what it takes to lose over double the lbs to be at a healthy lbs. You do need to put in a lot more upfront effort in the beginning to fast track to the target end goal in the long run. If you start off slow, steady that slow, then do some extensive regime here & there; you'll just burn yourself out before you reach that goal. Working out at higher levels with a strict well preplanned diet to kickstart the lbs loss is what worked for me. Now it's moderate to normal working out with an adopted diet over time that is now my normal nutritional routine. I'll fluctuate 5lbs but that is to be expected with climate changes, workloads, seasonal shifts, life in general. The real impact that will always be prevailing to mess with your lbs is your environment & peers. ie: Grandma: Here's some PIE, you NEED to EAT some PIE cause you're SOOOO thin! Don't be afraid to say, "NO" I know it's harder than that for some as it is your "grandma" or insert "important person here" that is driving the pressure, but that needs to be confronted. I've had to go beyond to saying "No thanks" to just leaving it on the dessert plate where they tried to hand it to me at. Did I get the unwanted attention for doing that? Yes. Did it bother me? Yes. Would I do it again? You betcha! If they cared, they'd accept you for whom you are & not what they want you to form to.
Old 06-16-20, 06:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

That’s a unidirectional loss and sounds like an extreme circumstance. Not daily maintenance years later. I understood him to be talking about maintenance. If it works, fine. But 10hrs a week is 1/2 Ironman training time for three sports. If once you reach a healthy bmi it takes that to “hold” , I don’t know what to say for you.
It's almost like chronic obesity and preventing its recurrence is a complex subject with enormous variation from person to person. And I'm not sure how you define "years later" but I've maintained this weight and that level of activity for over 4 years now.

Try not saying anything for me. That would suit me fine.

One thing I've noticed about this subject is that there's a gross surplus of self-appointed experts eager as hell to tell people that they're doing everything wrong. You just did that to two people who are actually doing quite well.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-16-20 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 02:24 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
This isn't me

March 25th - 195 lbs

June 12th 165 lbs

This is the result of fasting, Fasting with refeeds.
Old 06-17-20, 02:33 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Rachel Ross
Yes guys it is true that exercises help to lose weight but my mother always says that if you want to lose weight then eat less.
the thing with the food addiction crowd is they ignore the toxin side of the story.

It's so much more than calories in calories out.
Old 06-17-20, 03:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
For me it's the eating out.
Depending on where you eat out, restaurant food can have a lot more calories than you might think. Preparation method is one factor. You can take something low-cal and turn it into something quite different by slathering it in butter or deep frying it. Even salads can be packed with calories due to things like the dressing. I remember reading an article about chain restaurants and calorie counts. One place offered an Asian chicken salad. Sounded reasonable, but it had well over 1,500 calories. Portion size is also an important factor. A lot of people want to feel that they are getting their money’s worth when they get the check, to which a tip is customarily added.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-17-20 at 03:37 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-17-20, 03:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Metieval
This isn't me

March 25th - 195 lbs

June 12th 165 lbs

This is the result of fasting, Fasting with refeeds.

And a major infusion of steroids. The neck muscles are a total giveaway.
Old 06-17-20, 03:54 AM
Metieval

there are many more testimonies just like that from fasting.

You'd be surprised at what happens to muscle growth when your cells quit rejecting insulin due to Insulin resistance.
Old 06-17-20, 03:56 AM
Metieval

One thing I've noticed about this subject is that there's a gross surplus of self-appointed experts eager as hell to tell people that they're doing everything wrong.
AND
*drumroll*

One thing I've noticed about this subject is that there's a gross surplus of self-appointed experts eager as hell to tell people that they're doing everything wrong. You just did that to two people who are actually doing quite well.
Old 06-17-20, 04:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

AND
*drumroll*
You made it clear that wasn't you. For all we know, that's pictures of two entirely different people.

It's obviously not credible.
Old 06-17-20, 04:23 AM
Metieval

You made it clear that wasn't you. For all we know, that's pictures of two entirely different people.

It's obviously not credible.
It's very credible, I can also guarantee you couldn't handle his youtube channel. Or the 1,000's of people he has helped.

Point being, you might want to do some research before you start throwing out steroid comments, or blindly bashing.

It's clear you don't know who he is, It's clear you didn't even take the time to bother figuring it out.

Then again, people that get shredded, and ripped, live on a different planet than the people who eat for the enjoyment of eating.
Old 06-17-20, 04:27 AM
Metieval

for those that are serious about fitness and weightloss, and improved cycling ability.

Quit eating, start planking ........ Core strength has been a bigger advancement to my cycling than everything else combined.

https://www.stealthbodyfitness.com/pages/shop
Old 06-17-20, 04:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I just remembered why these threads are so useless.
Old 06-17-20, 04:43 AM
Metieval

I just remembered why these threads are so useless.
The dismissive attitude towards proven weight loss methods that are shared here for the purpose of helping others?
Old 06-17-20, 05:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The dismissive attitude towards proven weight loss methods that are shared here for the purpose of helping others?
Uh, yeah, sure. That's it.

​​​​​​Mmmmm, toxins!
Old 06-17-20, 05:10 AM
Metieval

​​​​​​Mmmmm, toxins!

Lipophilic chemicals....

Shred em out of your system by fasting with electrolyte infused water, and SUPPLEMENTING B vitamins. You're welcome.
Old 06-17-20, 05:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Lipophilic chemicals....

Shred em out of your system by fasting with electrolyte infused water, and SUPPLEMENTING B vitamins. You're welcome.

No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.