Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Not Junk Anymore

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Not Junk Anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 11:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
"LSD" is best thought of as "Long Steady Distance" rather than "Long Slow Distance."

And again, base training has long been a "thing." It's not some new discovery.
True. It's only really 'Long Slow Distance' in running, where the term was originally coined, because in running you can't coast.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-03-21, 11:51 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Ask 99 people what they think LSD stands for (in a training context) and they're not going to say steady, though yes, I completely agree with that particular concept (but certainly not that a block of training should consist solely of that).

In periodization (which most anyone talking about "base" is actually referring to), it is general fitness.

An aerobic "base" is something built on years of work. It's not something you do in the winter time that magically goes away over the course of a season only to be rebuilt the following year. Hence, fitness progression and the ability to tolerate higher workloads each successive year.

It's also the reason why people who have trained and raced for years can regain and maintain fitness much more quickly and easily compared to those that haven't.

I can take six months off, ride for a week, and ride with any group ride in the area (and drop most people). Not because I had one week of "base training", but because I have a 15 year base that provides a large amount of residual ability.
Though I have never raced and have never been especially fast, I have noticed a similar phenomenon after winter layoffs. The first couple rides in the later winter, I feel sluggish, like I've lost HUGE amounts of fitness. Almost feels like starting over. But if I keep riding, very quickly I find myself feeling better and going farther and faster. It doesn't feel like I'm BUILDING fitness so much as I'm RELEASING IT, like it's there and just needs a push to break it back out of hibernation. Sounds odd, I know, but that's the feeling, and I've noticed it for years now.

Last edited by genejockey; 01-03-21 at 12:16 PM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-03-21, 12:07 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I don’t thing too many people would consider that junk. My HR definitely climbs during the rare Z2 erg session when I can park my aching ass for that long. If nothing else, the sweat loss causes enough volume reduction to drive an increase.
True. Sorry, i wasnt clear with my point - I meant to say that this long Z2 ride is an example of the sort of ride that is meant by LSD/volume in traditional base. It's not riding for 3-4 hours *averaging* middle/low Z2 but with 1+ hours in Z1/coasting. That isnt very efficient from a training point of view - although there is a lot to be said for the fun aspects of a social group ride.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 01-03-21, 12:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by colnago62
One of the criticisms that Dylan brings up in his video and I have heard others say is that there is a tendency for some cyclists to go too hard on endurance and recovery days and then not go hard enough on hard days.
That, I can easily believe. I know when I head out thinking I'm going to do a Z1-2 ride I often find myself chasing other riders, or pushing to stay ahead, or just charging up a rise for the sheer fun of it and then I get home and find I've spent 30% of the ride in Z3. And doing a couple structured 'Sweet Spot' workouts on the trainer showed my just how much harder I SHOULD have been going on some rides I intended to be tempo/threshold rides.

Old 01-03-21, 12:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I first heard about the concept from a coach who spent time working with with Charlie Walsh back in the late 80’s so yes it had been around awhile. It is information that could be useful to some and not for others. Dylan does seem to be a credible source. At the very least, his opinions looked to be backed up with data.
Yes, Dylan makes reference to good data, however he doesn't practice PT himself or offer his own version of a polarized plan, at least not that I've seen.

Here's a good study of various training plans which he's featured: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3912323/
Plan C is the polarized one, but as rubik has mentioned above, it is fairly high volume, an 11 hr./week plan. No SS training. I think most experienced riders under 65 could keep up with it. I have a 66 y.o. riding buddy who's taking advantage of Covid time to ride 250 miles/week in hilly terrain. He's going to be a monster this summer. Won't be riding with him this year.
Old 01-03-21, 12:56 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yes, Dylan makes reference to good data, however he doesn't practice PT himself or offer his own version of a polarized plan, at least not that I've seen.
I would say that is not uncommon when in a coaching capacity. His needs and goals may not be the same as his riders and require different approaches. I can’t remember who, but there was somebody encouraging some zone 2 riding even in a low volume plan. The thinking was that there are important adaptations that only occur at the lower intensity. I believe one example was your body’s ability to learn to use more fat as fuel was one example that was used.
Old 01-07-21, 09:22 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
This video looks at the question of low intensity early season training more directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsXh...ature=youtu.be