Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Surrogate Stem (Spacer) For Bike Shipping?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 07:41 AM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

Hello,

Here is an interesting challenge (or maybe not if you have been here before).

I will be shipping/carrying my bike on several tours this summer. To get the bike into the box the bars and stem will have to be removed. When this happens I would like to find something that I can put on the steerer tube to take up the height of the removed stem so that I can hold the fork and headset bearings in proper position during shipping.

So far I have spent considerable time at the local hardware and home improvement stores looking for various plumbing and similar supplies that I could make a spacer from without success. Common sizes go from just under 1 1/8" (too small) to over 1 1/4" (too big). I have also considered regular stem spacers but I really need about 42mm worth which would require many small and easily lost individual spacers.

For those that say to just leave the stem on and take the bars off there is a complication. The bike has an Ortlieb clik-fix? handlebar bag mount which blocks access to the handlebar bolts and is a real pain to take on and off which I would rather not have to mess with.

Any thoughts on where I could get or make a suitable headset spacer?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-23-24, 07:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,052 Times in 2,702 Posts
Why? Just get a locking headset spacer and done. Problem Solvers makes one: https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...headset-spacer and it is designed for exactly what you are doing. No need to futz around with anything just throw that on underneath your stem and done. Remove your stem as often as needed with no problems.
Old 04-23-24, 07:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,328 Posts
A piece of PVC plumbing pipe, many wraps of masking tape, more headset spacers, custom machining a piece of metal, an old stem all can work. As could many other methods.

There's no real need for the headset to be preloaded during shipping. keeping the various parts in their proper order is more the issue and that's really only for convenience during reassembly. With good packing a slightly loose fork won't cause any problems.

BTW headset spacers have been made in more then 5mm thicknesses. the 40mm+ height would take fewer spacers with 10 or 20mm ones and a zip tie for keeping them with the packing stuff when on the riding part of the trip is easy too.

I've packed a lot of bikes over the years for customers and myself (including that really important person, the wife) and I don't sweat this detail too much. It's not rocket science and a perfect solution that allows preload adjustment is overkill. Not a bad result but IMO not worth too much effort and not needed. Andy
Old 04-23-24, 07:55 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,079 Times in 752 Posts
I have also used a zip tie cinched up tight with no issues of loosening. A few rubber bands made from old inner tubes and stacked on each other can also work. veganbikes suggestion of a locking spacer above is probably the best idea though as you don't have to mess around with getting the proper preload when re-assembling your bike.
Old 04-23-24, 08:00 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 701 Posts
That locking spacer is very interesting.
Although I love the Get Outta Jail free card in the instructions….”If your fork features a carbon steerer, consult the fork manufacturer to confirm compatibility, ”

I think I’d rather tie my all carbon fork into the frame with string or small bungee cord.

Barry
Old 04-23-24, 09:39 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
Locking spacers were common for mtb's cantilever hangers, this allowed a rider to change stem angle and height without needed to re-seat a headset, but it was mostly to keep brake cables fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
canti-hanger.jpg (14.7 KB, 90 views)
Old 04-23-24, 05:52 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,606 Times in 1,055 Posts
When I box bikes for shipping, I cut a strip of cardboard the height of the stem and wrap it around the steerer and then tape to form a cylinder. Then put the cap on. You can slide it off and reuse it, or replace in in 2 minutes.

I like the locking spacer thing for travel, though. Especially if you aren't great at getting a nice headset adjustment.

Last edited by Kontact; 04-23-24 at 05:57 PM.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-23-24, 06:19 PM
Steve_sr

Originally Posted by Kontact
When I box bikes for shipping, I cut a strip of cardboard the height of the stem and wrap it around the steerer and then tape to form a cylinder. Then put the cap on. You can slide it off and reuse it, or replace in in 2 minutes.
Good idea for a temporary fix.

I like the locking spacer thing for travel, though. Especially if you aren't great at getting a nice headset adjustment.
As others have mentioned I am not quite ready to put a metal clamp around an unsupported carbon steerer tube. Normally stems are clamped against an expanding plug inside the tube which equalizes forces and prevents crushing/damage to the steerer tube.
Old 04-23-24, 07:26 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Steve_sr
Good idea for a temporary fix.

As others have mentioned I am not quite ready to put a metal clamp around an unsupported carbon steerer tube. Normally stems are clamped against an expanding plug inside the tube which equalizes forces and prevents crushing/damage to the steerer tube.
You don't clamp this with 5nM of force. You just tighten it enough to not slide when the stem is off and the bike has no weight on it. In fact, you could leave it just snug when riding, but only tighten it just prior to stem removal.

And plenty of carbon steerers, which are all the same wall thickness, have been used for decades without compression plugs inside the stem clamp. People talk about that sort of stuff like it's a time bomb, but really it is just additional steps manufacturers specify to prevent improper stem torque causing a failure. Because people overtighten their stems.

Last edited by Kontact; 04-23-24 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-23-24, 09:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,062 Posts
So far I have spent considerable time at the local hardware and home improvement stores looking for various plumbing and similar supplies that I could make a spacer from without success.
Steve
Slice a 1 inch fernco and tighten

​​​​​​https://www.fernco.com/dimensional-d...-1056/1056-100
Old 04-24-24, 04:36 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 804 Times in 478 Posts
Have a 3d printer or know someone who does? Designing a surrogate stem would take about 10 minutes and printing it might take an hour or two. Simple would be just designing a tube with the right internal diameter and length. More complex would be designing that same tube with a clamp that can be tightened around the steerer.
Old 04-24-24, 05:46 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 350 Posts
Any thoughts on where I could get or make a suitable headset spacer?
I'd just cut down an old stem.
Old 04-24-24, 06:24 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 433 Posts
If there's a bike co-op near you, they'll have a bin full of old stems they'll practically give away. The shop I volunteer at has a full bin and we just recycle them now.
Old 04-24-24, 12:13 PM
Steve_sr

Originally Posted by dedhed
Slice a 1 inch fernco and tighten

​​​​​​https://www.fernco.com/dimensional-d...-1056/1056-100
That would work too. didn't look at pipe menders / couplers.
Old 04-24-24, 12:19 PM
Steve_sr

I found this on amazon and ordered one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0868JQV9Y...hk_typ_imgToDp

I'll have to cut it down to length. The same seller also has this in silver.
Old 04-24-24, 12:47 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 980 Posts
So relocate the expanding plug so it's behind this clamp
The beauty of this clamp is that you can put your stem off and on as often as you want and never have to worry about adjusting headset tension any more.
Old 04-24-24, 01:04 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,079 Times in 752 Posts
Far too much worry about this clamping spacer on a CF steerer. You don't need to torque it to the same tightness as your stem. Snug it up so it stays in place and all you have to do is add your stem when assembling the bike out of the box, no switching around special spacers or whatever for shipping. Not really an issue but if it worries you just loosen up the clamp bolt after you have installed/tightened the stem and you will just have what is plain spacer. Any properly made CF steerer will have no problem with this spacer and much easier to live with.
Old 04-24-24, 01:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked 2,664 Times in 1,482 Posts
If you want something cheap and light, take your fork to the hardware/plumbing store. Shop either PVC pipe or vinyl tubing. Cut off a piece as long as your stem is tall, plus a bit more. Then you use your top cap and spacers to keep the fork and headset secure.

Personally, I prefer to remove the fork to make the package more compact, and to ensure it won't get bent if the box is dropped or crushed. I stretch plastic wrap oer the head tube, trapping both bearings, and likewise wrap all the spacers and top cap onto the steerer.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-24-24, 01:17 PM
Steve_sr

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
If there's a bike co-op near you, they'll have a bin full of old stems they'll practically give away. The shop I volunteer at has a full bin and we just recycle them now.
I thought of that but the nearest bike co-op is in the next town about 30 miles away.
Old 04-24-24, 04:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,501 Times in 1,041 Posts
... I will be shipping/carrying my bike on several tours this summer. To get the bike into the box the bars and stem will have to be removed. ...
Both bikes I have bought online were packed and shipped with the handlebar removed from the stem, rather than removing the stem from the steerer. Does the former approach not work in your case?
Old 04-24-24, 04:46 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 411 Posts
OP has a bag mount that makes this more complicated.
Old 04-24-24, 05:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,501 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
OP has a bag mount that makes this more complicated.
Oops, missed that; that must be one heck of a bar bag.
Old 04-24-24, 06:49 PM
Steve_sr

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Oops, missed that; that must be one heck of a bar bag.
Just the Ortleib Click-Fix with its rather complicated single cable wrapping.
Old 04-24-24, 07:57 PM
Kontact

We all forgot the perfect fitting spacer to replace the stem: A stack of headset spacers.
Old 04-24-24, 08:58 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 350 Posts
We all forgot the perfect fitting spacer to replace the stem: A stack of headset spacers.
OP mentioned it at the top of the thread - didn't want to deal with multiple spacers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.