Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

"Does NOT come with fixed gear cog" - will I need a cog and lock-ring, or just a cog?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

"Does NOT come with fixed gear cog" - will I need a cog and lock-ring, or just a cog?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 06:01 AM
Mambo Dave

Bikes: Dawes, Jamis, Gardin, Can-o-ale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dawes single speed just got ordered, and I saw that it states "Does NOT come with fixed gear cog."

I'm hoping someone who has bought from BikesDirect can inform me of what I need to order before the bike gets here. Do I need to order just a cog, or both a cog and lock-ring?

Secondary question: It comes with a 16 tooth cog... can I just flip that over to the fixed gear side? Obviously I currently know nothing about single-speed flip-flop hubs, and am not sure if the freewheel can go bare without a cog, or if the non-cogged side has a lock-ring on it anyway.

This will be for nearly totally flat south Florida, so I'm guessing a 15 or 16 tooth cog for the fixed side. (of course I'll take suggestions of an Amazon.com supplied cog (and lock ring if needed) to buy - cheap and 'good enough' is all I need.

Thank you!
Old 08-25-15, 06:08 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 795 Times in 451 Posts
It's a flip flop hub with a single freewheel mounted on one side and bare threads on the other side for mounting a fixed cog and lockring, which you will have to purchase. You simply remove the wheel and flip it to the fixed side to ride fixed. You will need at least a lockring tool to properly install the cog and lockring. The freewheel does not have or need a lockring.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-25-15, 08:57 AM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^What he said, also on the side, half of my last name is Mambo and my middle name is David, so I had to do a double take when I read your name heheh
Old 08-25-15, 11:58 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 943 Times in 505 Posts
I wouldn't order anything yet. Often they come with both, freewheel and fixed cog. My Café Fxie did... even though the specs said it didn't.

Then, after you try the 16t and find out it's way too tall of a gear, you can order the proper size cog.
Old 08-25-15, 01:09 PM
Mambo Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for he advice, gents.

I'll just wait to see how it comes in then.

Maybe I'll need to ask in a new thread, but it looks like the frame has upper eyelets for a pannier rack, but no lower ones. The 'solutions' that I see sold are made for quick-releases to fit through them... but this one has no skewers, and I wouldn't want anything extra (mounted to the rear axle) to have to take off if I need to get the rear off for a tube change anyhow. I'm having trouble Googling around a good solution for this, but I guess I could just drill through the rear dropouts to put bolts through them.

Originally Posted by thedapperest
^What he said, also on the side, half of my last name is Mambo and my middle name is David, so I had to do a double take when I read your name heheh
Sorry to take what should have been your name, , but I was given this nickname at a teaching-staff party from two cute high school teachers I used to work with. Since then I've used it in the local diving community (scubaboard.com), motorcycling communities (like ADVrider.com), and so on. At times it's taken on a life of its own. ... or maybe I got too drunk and went overboard - I can't remember.
Old 08-25-15, 01:42 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Which Dawes did you buy, because it looks to me like the dropouts on the steel frame have tapped holes for bolts to mount racks and fenders ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-25-15, 04:57 PM
Mambo Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...eetfighter.htm

I looked again, and it does seem like there is a hole on the dropout - not sure if it's tapped though.

The tops are tapped and have allen bolts in them, but it's the bottom connection I'm looking at.

Oh, here's a good picture - it does show two holes that should work:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DAW-STRFIGHT-06.jpg (58.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-25-15, 06:21 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

They are most definitely tapped and will be the same size as the top mounts and water bottle mounts. Sometimes, however, there is a lot of paint in the holes or the threading is poor quality, and you need to run a M5x0.8mm tap through to clean them out.

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-25-15 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 07:32 PM
Mambo Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
They are most definitely tapped and will the the same size as the top mounts and water bottle mounts. Sometimes, however, there is a lot of paint in the holes or the threading is poor quality, and you need to run a M5x0.8mm tap through to clean them out.
Thank you, and thanks for the replies, guys!
Old 08-29-15, 04:34 PM
Mambo Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I wouldn't order anything yet. Often they come with both, freewheel and fixed cog. My Café Fxie did... even though the specs said it didn't.

Then, after you try the 16t and find out it's way too tall of a gear, you can order the proper size cog.
You were correct, Trick!

It came with a 16 tooth cog on both sides. However, it does seem that the gearing is just about right as it sits. Florida is, after all, pretty flat. I was spinning nicely with the 16/44 up until I had to pedal into the wind. Within a half mile of pedaling into the wind my rear tire bulged out... so I had to walk the rest of the way.
Old 08-29-15, 04:52 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Liked 943 Times in 505 Posts
Good, I'm glad it's working out for you.

This is your first fixed gear, right? Keep us posted on how it goes, and don't forget the pics!
Old 08-29-15, 05:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,339 Times in 2,793 Posts
Welcome to the fix gear crowd! I'm one of the geezers. The guy who went to a ride fixed in 1976 and was sold! (Despite trying to coast and crashing.) Next year (God willing) I will roll the collective odometer for my fix gear riding. (99,999)

Ben
Old 08-30-15, 05:38 AM
Mambo Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! In case you haven't seen it, the initial impressions thread & pictures is over here: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...ttributes.html