Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do bike shops exchange bikes after couple weeks if too big?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do bike shops exchange bikes after couple weeks if too big?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 02:54 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WHAT KIND OF BIKE DO YOU HAVE OP!????

several people have asked what kind of bike you have and you haven't answered. Inquiring minds would like to know!! lol
Old 09-15-11, 07:21 PM
Ramjm_2000

Bikes: Too many...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Still waiting for the OP to tell us what bike we are talking about.
This. Without knowing what bike we are talking about all this is pretty much pointless, TT lengths/HT lengths very too much between brands to give any helpful advice.
Old 09-15-11, 07:37 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000
This. Without knowing what bike we are talking about all this is pretty much pointless, TT lengths/HT lengths very too much between brands to give any helpful advice.
Well, I thought the question really was, "Do bike shops exchange bikes after couple weeks if too big?"

I'd say that the answer to that question is, "It depends on the shop." My shop did, in fact, exchange for another size when the bike they originally sold me needed a lot of changes to get a good fit (using a stem 30 mm longer and sliding the saddle all the way to the bend of the rails). Most of the other relevant responses here said, basically, "No way."

So, yeah, we got the OP an answer. Of course, he already finished with this:

Originally Posted by thunder92
Thanks for all the responses all. I think after reading a bunch I've decided to just keep it and see If I just need to get more used to it. A lot of people have similiar sizes and I agree that the 30mm difference in top tubes between sizes can be made up with the short stem I have now. Maybe I'm just not used to the road bike yet. Thanks!
Old 09-15-11, 07:46 PM
Ramjm_2000

Bikes: Too many...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At this point I'm not terribly concerned about the OPs original question...as a previous poster put it "inquiring minds want to know". I'm dying to hear what bike required a 70mm stem to achive a fit.
Old 09-15-11, 07:51 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I didn't read the whole thread but I just wanted to say that I was in the same situation. Although the bike they sold me was technically the right size I was right on the cusp between two sizes and because I have shorter legs proportionally the smaller bike (a hybrid) just felt better to me. My LBS happily exchanged sizes for me. The salesman even congratulated me for doing the right thing--saying the world was full of bikes stored in garages that never got any use because people didn't take them back. Best of luck.
Old 09-15-11, 08:49 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000
At this point I'm not terribly concerned about the OPs original question...as a previous poster put it "inquiring minds want to know". I'm dying to hear what bike required a 70mm stem to achive a fit.
I got two answers for that one:

1. The wrong size of bike. Just like when the shop fitter wanted to put me on a 140 mm stem when it came with a 110, except, of course, the other way.

2. A small bike, like a 50 or 52. Look at the stems that come on small road bikes from the factory.
Old 09-16-11, 03:52 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scirocco
Well, it's nice to have someone in bike retailing come out and admit it. Your policy as practiced by my LBS has cost me two uncomfortable frames before I learned enough about what fit me to ignore them and go for the smaller size, not the larger.
Yeah, what do I know? Rode for a paycheck, and oh, several thousand bikes later..."depending on body dimensions..."

Most people don't have your obviously world class athletic skills and flexibility. So the slightly bigger bike works. But what I suggest to a rider (which I can prove, by the way) depends on body dimensions.

LOL.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 09-16-11 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-16-11, 03:54 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
That was a needlessly personal attack, unless you have in fact bought bikes from Mr. Roadwarrior.

As a counterpoint, I would never buy the smaller of two frame sizes I was considering for a road bike. I am 6'0" and ride a 60cm bike. It's due to the geometry of my bike. Other frames I would ride a 58cm.
Don't worry about it because you only need consider the source and the place.
Old 09-16-11, 10:18 AM
thunder92

Bikes: Trek liquid 10, Raleigh Revenir 2.0 road bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, Its a raleigh Revenio 2.0. My first road bike and I've decided to keep the size after reading alot of others suggestions. Just need to get used to the new leaned over position I guess.
Old 09-16-11, 05:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 771 Posts
ya I did research. I knew I was right in the middle of 54 and 56 but decided it might not matter since I was close either way. Coming from mountain biking they convinced me I may like the more upright feel of the bigger one anyway since the bars would be a little higher on the larger unit. But they are also far away. Better with the stem and my seat maxed out to the front.....
With you're proportions, my guess is that you really are a 56, not a 54, IMHO. I'm an old, inflexible codger, 5-8 w/ 32 inch inseam (CYCLING inseam, not pants), therefore a short torso. I fit a 54 Cannondale very easily with a ~10cm stem. The standover is perfect, the reach is right w/ that stem.

With the same inseam as me, but 2 more inches of height, you just gotta be on a longer frame, I would think. Unless you're somehow odd in a way I wouldn't expect, with your proportions, you're definitely a 56, a 54 would be way to short for you.

As others said, if you're maxiing your seat forward to shorten reach, you're going about it wrong, and if the LBS did that for you, they did it wrong. You position the saddle according to your best position over the pedals and then adjust the reach w/ stem length and rise after that.

I wonder how exactly the bike shop fit you? Can you explain the process - and especially how your saddle came to be shoved all the way forward (could be just perfect for your preferences and femur length, but I'm still wondering).

If you're really new to road bike riding after being used to a MTB, that could be your problem.

First, the standover w/ a roadbike really can be minimal. W/ your shoes and bike shorts on (in other words, not w/ bare feet and in your saggy jeans), an inch of standover is plenty. Even less. It's not like a MTB where you have several inches of standover. This is a common source of confusion with new road riders, it just feels and looks so much different than a MTB.

As for the reach, how does the reach compare (say measured nose of saddle to middle of center of handlebar?) to your MTB?

Again, I really don't think at your height and proportions the 54 would be the bike to fit. Could be wrong, but I'd work with the LBS and also give it a few hundred miles.

Last edited by Camilo; 09-16-11 at 05:19 PM. Reason: didn't read thread first!
Old 09-16-11, 05:04 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at a shop and sometimes there is just not talking someone out of a bike, especially at the end of the season when they are on closeout so we push and push but if they insist, we fit it the best we can. Most people will see the light and order the correct size, but sometimes all people look at is their pocket book and don't understand how big of a difference 2cm can make!
Old 09-16-11, 10:39 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Camilo
With you're proportions, my guess is that you really are a 56, not a 54, IMHO. I'm an old, inflexible codger, 5-8 w/ 32 inch inseam (CYCLING inseam, not pants), therefore a short torso. I fit a 54 Cannondale very easily with a ~10cm stem. The standover is perfect, the reach is right w/ that stem.

With the same inseam as me, but 2 more inches of height, you just gotta be on a longer frame, I would think. Unless you're somehow odd in a way I wouldn't expect, with your proportions, you're definitely a 56, a 54 would be way to short for you.

As others said, if you're maxiing your seat forward to shorten reach, you're going about it wrong, and if the LBS did that for you, they did it wrong. You position the saddle according to your best position over the pedals and then adjust the reach w/ stem length and rise after that.

I wonder how exactly the bike shop fit you? Can you explain the process - and especially how your saddle came to be shoved all the way forward (could be just perfect for your preferences and femur length, but I'm still wondering).

If you're really new to road bike riding after being used to a MTB, that could be your problem.

First, the standover w/ a roadbike really can be minimal. W/ your shoes and bike shorts on (in other words, not w/ bare feet and in your saggy jeans), an inch of standover is plenty. Even less. It's not like a MTB where you have several inches of standover. This is a common source of confusion with new road riders, it just feels and looks so much different than a MTB.

As for the reach, how does the reach compare (say measured nose of saddle to middle of center of handlebar?) to your MTB?

Again, I really don't think at your height and proportions the 54 would be the bike to fit. Could be wrong, but I'd work with the LBS and also give it a few hundred miles.
Standover means jack. It is not a source of confusion what-so-ever.
Old 09-19-11, 08:27 AM
thunder92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya I adjusted my seat so my bottom knee cap divides the pedal if you hang a piece of string from knee cap. For proper pedal power.

Didnt adjust the seat forward for reach.

Last edited by thunder92; 09-19-11 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 02:15 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ya I adjusted my seat so my bottom knee cap divides the pedal not for reach.
Will you repeat that in English please?
Old 09-19-11, 02:18 PM
thunder92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
done.
Old 09-19-11, 02:39 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a general rule, the string has to devide the pedal at the middle of the spindle when the crank is at 3 o'clock position. Again your body is the best judge of this. It will let you know if this rule works for you.
Old 09-20-11, 07:26 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Standover means jack. It is not a source of confusion what-so-ever.
Sure it is. People are confused because they think standover means something. I can't tell you know many people I saw throw a leg over a bike, pick it up until it touches their groin, and say "Yeah, it fits me perfectly". Hell, I can't even tell you how many shop employees I saw tell a customer to do that.
Old 09-20-11, 07:41 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
id say the discussion here does not hinge on body dimensions but more on body fitness.

α
Old 09-20-11, 07:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
I almost feel bad asking my lbs to exchange my bike but its just feels big. I am 5-10 with 32in inseam and I bought a 56 because they didn't have a 54. I was inbetween but then had to put on a super short stem and move my seat way up. I still don't have very much bend in my arms and I really wish I did. I feel bad asking because they are so nice in this shop and the bike is now used for sure.
As others have said, based on what you have told us, the bike can likely be adjusted to fit just fine. You have decided to keep it and get used to it and I suspect that is the right decision. I went from a mountain bike to a road bike and didn't like the way it felt at first. It didn't take long to get used to it. Now I am MUCH more comfortable on my road bike than my mountain bike. I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but if you don't get comfortable with it the way it is, you can always put a riser stem on it to put you in a more upright position. It never hurts to have someone else (experienced) look at your set-up and tell you if it looks like adjustments need to be made. The folks at your shop are nice, but they may not be good.

The bottom line is that your bike very likely fits just fine. It's a matter of you getting used to it and making the minor adjustments over time to fine tune the fit.
Old 09-20-11, 09:34 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, tiny things can throw off the fit. I recently moved my seat back about 2mm before going for a ride. As soon as I hit hills my back was burning. Moved the seat back for the next ride and had no problems.

In other words, make small changes to your fit if you feel uncomfortable, but a lot of it is just getting used to it and once you have your fit dialed in, don't bother to change it.
Old 09-20-11, 02:14 PM
thunder92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE------------------------------------------------------------------------UPDATE

Ok, I went to the shop today because my back was hurting after morning ride. They fitted it to me doing some basic measurements and I think its gonna work now! I should have asked for a fitting first time. Lesson learned. I think the crucial thing was that my mountain bike fits great and doesn't hurt. But the seat is lower because I ride aggressive. I had a old broken ankle injury that actually made one leg shorter. Nothing I normally notice but I think the bike was fine on one leg and too long on the other causing me to rock in the saddle and hurt my lower back. The adjusted the seat forward more and also down some and I think it fixed it! We'll see on the ride home but it feels much better. Thanks for the comments.
Old 09-20-11, 07:15 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had a old broken ankle injury that actually made one leg shorter. Nothing I normally notice but I think the bike was fine on one leg and too long on the other causing me to rock in the saddle and hurt my lower back.
Ah, ok --

There's a kid at work who also has one leg shorter than the other. He has a hell of a time finding a good saddle height -- low enough for the short leg and his long leg never gets to extend, or high enough for the long leg and his short leg gets stretched too much.

You might want to look into shims to help compensate for the difference.