Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Did I throw away fifty bucks?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Did I throw away fifty bucks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-09, 07:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagecoast
On topic the Bob Jackson site says they silver solder thier frames. Got my fingers crossed.
Piece of cake for the framebuilder then, and cheaper too (less labor required). Get yourself a spare, RH Campagnolo 1010A on eBay to replace the damaged one.

-Kurt

Old 11-28-09, 08:05 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I really appreciate the feedback.

I should have been more clear on the head tube damage, it's in two pieces. Guess you could weld it, but the Jackson will get better. I have a good friend that works at a LBS and is tight with the local industry, I'm gonna rely on him to find me a builder. I wanted to get opinions from you folks as to whether I should even bother. The amount you can learn here by reading and asking a few questions is great.

Is it a fantasy to consider buying a gallon and having pints tinted? Here's the product I'm considering from TCP Global. They say it compares with PPG, and of course all advertising is true. Anyone have experience with it?

The magic box, with the addition of the 600 wheels, gives me a close to complete build kit, down to a Campy seat clamp bolt I found in the folds. The seat post is the wrong size, but I am just gonna sand it down.

Thanks again for the good advice and education, Tim
Hi Tim, Thanks for the extra photos - I didn't realise the head tube was actually broken in two. Please disregard my earlier suggestion to braze up the split - that needs a new tube and is a job I WOULD pass on to a frame builder to do. There aren't that many Bob Jackson hand built steel frames around, so in my opinion it's worth seriously investigating the possibility of saving it. but much will depend on the cost. It's your frame and your decision. Alternatively you might wish to find another frame to build your parts onto, which could be a more practical option. My feeling is that it would be good to rescue the Jackson - but it's not my time and money that would be used doing it!
Old 11-28-09, 10:08 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Since I have shared my velo woes, I thought I should share one of this years joys. On a trip out to Riverside County on business I decided to check Craigslist. The ad read "old bike - $25". The bad picture showed just a bit of the Cen and sported a wicked lambswool seat cover.

Robbie-tunes, I see you have a appreciation of the Centurions, so I thought you would enjoy this one. Thanks for the constructive words.

Tim
Wow. My PC is broken, and I just drooled on the keyboard of this laptop.
Old 11-29-09, 06:25 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
As long you realize its not going ot be worth as much you have into it.....
Old 11-29-09, 06:59 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrated
+10

C'mon guys... it's a bicycle repair... not rocket science.

I've never understood why so many people seem to think that you have to pay some framebuilder insane prices to get a frame repaired and safe to ride. For most frame damage, you can find that most any machinist or auto body man can do a great job.

Custom frame builders are for BUILDING frames... that's where they make their living. Frame design and construction takes special talent and knowledge. Paying a frame builder $300 to unsquish a dropout or weld a small crack is like paying a brain surgeon to remove a wart from your thumb.

You'll often find that machinists love to work on bicycles and odd projects because it gives them something different and fun to do. I work with a lot of aircraft machinists in my line of work, and they love it when I ask for their help. My crowning glory came when I asked one of the guys to help me build a custom rear rack for my touring bike. We talked about how I wanted the rack to fit and we took some measurements... and I asked him to tell me how much it would cost to buy the metal and get him to build it. Instead of returning with an estimate, he came back with a very trick hand made unit constructed entirely of aircraft titanium and stainless fittings. I never asked where the materials came from!
Great story! A machinist friend of mine made me a really nice headset cup press. Cost? Take him out for Mexican lunch half a dozen times! He made it out of metal scraps and leftover parts that were in the shop.
Old 11-29-09, 07:39 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Heh Miamijim,
Good point! I go inside out on "keeper" bike values on a regular basis. As long as you ride and love 'em, its all good the way I see it. Flipping bikes is very different though, as that's where the money comes from to buy Derosas. My CFO at the house here wouldn't have it any other way. Cars and boats are a little different challenge. If you aren't very careful, you can get stuck for a pile of cash. I usually don't get that messed up with my sailboats or cars anymore, but it took a while to figure this stuff out. I think if Sagecoast rebuilds this bike and rides it, he'll be fine. That's why I made the earlier point about buying a brand new Bob Jackson and shipping it. These are not very expensive frames, and at some point it may be easier and more cost effective to order a new frameset in the color and style you want from their website. They make it very easy to do.
Old 11-29-09, 08:20 AM
Rammer
Texas Sec. 545.401

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw, what happened to that head tube to cause it to crack?

If you do get this frame repaired, please snap and share photos.