Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50 and Cycling/Being Alone

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Over 50 and Cycling/Being Alone

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 11:57 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I ride a-lone
Yeaaaah all by myself
When I ride alone
I prefer to be by myself
Old 03-03-17, 12:56 PM
bikeridesteve

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Gran Fondo Classico LTD, Trek 7300 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Carbonfiberboy;19412130]I ride with a couple of type 1s. They eat the usual bike food: Clif bars, Shot Bloks, bananas, all that stuff. They have pumps and CGMs. I've ridden with them on regular group rides, centuries, etc. They're both fast, ~60, and in perfect health, which is a huge statement for cycling and keeping your BS even. A Type 1 RAAM team won the 8 person category a while back.

That RAAM team is pretty amazing. Team Novo Nordisk comprised of Type 1 diabetics competes competitively in cycling and does pretty well.

I'm 63 yrs old, more of a casual cyclist, do my 25-30 mile rides at a 13-14 mph pace. Stop when I need to fuel up on sugar. I mostly ride alone so I can control the pace/distance. Maybe not the best thing to do with my condition but I'm pretty careful about things and my BS management. The CGM (continuous glucose monitor) helps a lot as I can check my glucose levels while riding right from my insulin pump!
Old 03-03-17, 02:11 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I ride a-lone
Yeaaaah all by myself
When I ride alone
I prefer to be by myself
This song started playing in my head after reading the first few replies. You meant "Yeaaaah with nobody else" for line two, no? Good 'ol George Thorogood and his guitar: How To Rock with a Hollow Body Guitar

Back to the topic, I often ride alone whilst cyclecommuting. But its a heavily travelled route, so I'm never really "all alone" with no other soul in sight (cars, trucks, peds, etc in urban areas). I also occasionally run into other commuting buddies that brightens up the day. So I like both, I guess. To experience an inner "quietness" or "calm" is rare and nice. I guess you only get that when you are in the cycling "trance" or "groove" during a particualr ride.

Edit: I just got the fact that others referring to BS above mean blood sugar and not the usual derogatory acronym. Sorry, not a diabetic myself so was clueless in New Yawk for a bit...

Last edited by ptempel; 03-03-17 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 03:00 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
[QUOTE=bikeridesteve;19416317]
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I ride with a couple of type 1s. They eat the usual bike food: Clif bars, Shot Bloks, bananas, all that stuff. They have pumps and CGMs. I've ridden with them on regular group rides, centuries, etc. They're both fast, ~60, and in perfect health, which is a huge statement for cycling and keeping your BS even. A Type 1 RAAM team won the 8 person category a while back.

That RAAM team is pretty amazing. Team Novo Nordisk comprised of Type 1 diabetics competes competitively in cycling and does pretty well.

I'm 63 yrs old, more of a casual cyclist, do my 25-30 mile rides at a 13-14 mph pace. Stop when I need to fuel up on sugar. I mostly ride alone so I can control the pace/distance. Maybe not the best thing to do with my condition but I'm pretty careful about things and my BS management. The CGM (continuous glucose monitor) helps a lot as I can check my glucose levels while riding right from my insulin pump!
I'm Type 1 diabetic and rarely ride with another. I carry a snack bar and glucose tabs in the seatbag. I've done a century ride solo, just had to check with a meter a few times. Love that banana and chocolate milk after a fast 30.
Old 03-03-17, 03:08 PM
bikeridesteve

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Gran Fondo Classico LTD, Trek 7300 Hybrid

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=OldsCOOL;19416645]
Originally Posted by bikeridesteve
I'm Type 1 diabetic and rarely ride with another. I carry a snack bar and glucose tabs in the seatbag. I've done a century ride solo, just had to check with a meter a few times. Love that banana and chocolate milk after a fast 30.
Good for you OldsCOOL! I keep rolls of glucose tablets in the back pockets of my bike jersey (or bike jacket when it's cold outside). That way I can get to them while riding the bike so I can do an in-flight sugar fueling.

I've found the CGM (continuous glucose monitor) to be a godsend for cycling even though it's a bit of a pain to use. Next best thing for us Type 1's until a cure someday...I hope.
Old 03-03-17, 07:46 PM
1100 Springs

Bikes: Mercian Audax Velo Orange Rando. Cannondale R800

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I prefer to ride by myself. No paces to keep, I deal with people all day so it's nice to have the alone time.
Old 03-03-17, 08:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by beechnutC23
I also like to ride alone on my "two-wheeled cloister". Like Tim says there is something special to it. I do ride a lot with my wife but since I'm retired and she's not, more often than not I'm riding alone. Having a great affinity for monastic life, I have always enjoyed solitude. Lots of mountains around here and grunting up our steepest hills alone is very satisfying.

I'm on that side of town tomorrow and might stop in to see the Trappists for midday prayer.

-Tim-
Old 03-06-17, 01:06 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
I like riding alone. Go where I want. Stop and look around when I want.

This morning a bunch ride passed me, as I was heading out. I sat at the back for a bit.

Lots of hand signals, and bike-calls going on in front of me. Too much talking and signalling for me and my thoughts.
Old 03-06-17, 10:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I wanted to take a long bike ride on Saturday, my first of the year. (I commute by bike but I don't count those rides as long.) I made plans and brought my clothing to the house upstate. But we had a really cold snap, and I was so uncomfortable trying to get warm inside the house that I couldn't even bear the thought of riding, even for a short distance. Next weekend, I hope.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-06-17, 05:52 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
When I cross country toured a couple years ago, I generally rode with a guy or two. One of the guys had a CF, and I am riding steel, with heavy wheels and tires. I was no match for him going uphill, and on the flats I managed pretty well Usually he (they) waited for me at the top of the hill sometimes not. I think it was dependant as to how many hills they waited for me in a day already, lol. So I was always trying to keep up with the other guys. Problem was that I missed lots of opportunities to snap a picture because I was so far behind it seemed always. Some of the reason staying with another is safety and security, camaraderie. But I always ride alone at home-rouitinely, that can be 40-60 kms. Sometimes my wife comes with me, but that's on a tandem, and another story. She is far slower than I, hence the tandem. At least she was open to the idea, and we enjoy it.
If I toured again, I would be happy to be alone. There are no expectations except the ones I impose on myself. And I can live with those!
Old 03-06-17, 10:11 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Don't get me wrong. I love a fast group ride and try to do one per month. Nothing like a paceline.

Silence is just special to me. True silence scares most people. Sometimes I just stop my bike, stand still and listen...

-Tim-
Reminds me of a conversation I had while visiting Denver.

At the time I was spending weeks at a time 22 miles from the nearest road and the nearest people usually 15 air miles away.

The other person was shocked and asked: "What are you going to do if you have a heart attack, or a serious accident?". I answered: "Die".

A bit blunt. But, I've discovered that, as has been intimated, too much of what we do is based on unreasoning fear. If you never are afraid you are not living.
Old 03-06-17, 10:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
If you never are afraid you are not living.
I don't agree with this.

I've had a 4.5 year old daughter die in my arms and a wife of 17 years walk out, abandoned me to raise two little girls on my own. I know a thing or two about fear.

You are not living until you are free from fear, until you are able to be at peace while the world rages and life crumbles around you.

-Tim-
Old 03-06-17, 11:03 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I don't agree with this.

I've had a 4.5 year old daughter die in my arms and a wife of 17 years walk out, abandoned me to raise two little girls on my own. I know a thing or two about fear.

You are not living until you are free from fear, until you are able to be at peace while the world rages and life crumbles around you.

-Tim-
I have also had one of my children die, and my first wife walked out and left me with two little boys to raise. It was the best day of my life when she walked out, but I did not know it and was terrified.

I do not believe we have any control over whether or not we fear, but instead how we respond. Fear is a reaction we can respond to. scientists consider it one of the few true core emotions we have. We live because we feel, love, fear, feel happiness....
Old 03-07-17, 07:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Another further thot about riding alone is the fact that all during your working life you would have been told where to go and what to do. So riding alone and making all the decision on where when and how to ride is a great freedom to enjoy after all those years of work. I know it is for me.
Old 03-07-17, 11:34 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't agree with this.

-Tim-
The post was in the context of a person's own actions. Whether a person does, or does not, do something. Whether the decision is based on risk analysis of the situation, or raw fear of what might happen.

In my case it was almost certain at some time I would be injured to some degree. But, I was confident I could cope as long as it was not initially fatal. I always kept in mind since I was not a Bering Sea fisherman the most dangerous thing most people do is drive on the public highway.

I would not have called the emotion you and kindaslow experienced "fear". Extreme loss. Anger. Joy at being free. Anxiety at wondering how to cope with a new situation.

But, nevertheless your emotions were real. You illustrated resilience perfectly. Wonderful examples of facing reality and overcoming.
Old 03-07-17, 12:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
@TimothyH and @Kindaslow, I'm so sorry to read of your troubles, and I have great respect for weathering those storms and becoming as strong as I imagine you are.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-07-17, 12:58 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@TimothyH and @Kindaslow, I'm so sorry to read of your troubles, and I have great respect for weathering those storms and becoming as strong as I imagine you are.

Thanks to you and Hawkowl. Weird thing is that 27 years later it isn't any easier to think about. But, I have a wonderful life, and my boys have turned out to be great young men!