Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Which area of Miami is best to use as a bike tourist base

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 06:39 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

I am planning an Amtrak credit card tour in Florida in January

https://www.bikeforums.net/southeast...southeast.html

My first 3 days are going to be in Miami. The size of Miami is daunting and areas that look adjacent on the map turn out to be 5 to 9 miles apart.

Right now I am double booked in 2 different hotels and wondering which of these options is best or if there is something better? I won't necessarily be riding a lot while I am in Miami but will take advantage of any good riding opportunities that present themselves.

I arrive in Ft Lauderdale airport on a red-eye

Option 1 - North Beach area. Looks like an easy ride from Fort Lauderdale airport. Should be some restaurants close by. Maybe good riding along the northern section of the beach?

Option 2 - Airport area. Lots of reasonably priced hotel options. Put bike on Tri-Rail from Fort Lauderdale airport to Hotel. Close to Little Havana and easy mass transit in any direction.

These are the 2 options I came up with because I am not interested in paying $300 a night for prime beachfront but I don't know anything about Miami so there are probably other areas I should consider? I will Amtrak out of the Miami area.over to Tampa. Maybe take Tri-Rail to West Palm beach and do a short ride and take Amtrak to Tampa from there.
Old 12-09-21, 04:31 PM
Slasharoo

Bikes: Orbea Onyx, Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 850

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I've ridden about ten miles south from Dania Beach ( just south of the Ft. Lauderdale airport) to Haulover Beach park. The first 8 miles are pretty good, especially through Hollywood and the Broadwalk, but I did have to hop on the A1A for short stretches. Luckily I was doing the ride on Christmas morning and there was little traffic. South of Haulover Beach Park, however, there is no escaping the A1A and google maps directs bikes to go inland via a longer route.
Likes For Slasharoo:
Old 12-09-21, 07:38 PM
kevmcd

Bikes: 1983 Woodrup Giro Touring w/ Huret Duopar, Campy high flange hubs, Deore Dyna-Drive crank pedals and brakes 1987 Bridgestone MB2 bafang mid-drive added in 2015

My option 1 hotel is not far from Dania Beach and Fort Lauderdale Airport and the Hollywood boardwalk would be fun and I may make my way over there regardless of where I stay.
https://www.hollywoodbeachhotels.com/

But I am leaning towards staying close to the Miami Airport. I found a link in Bikeforums when I searched Miami that listed some good rides in the area.
https://www.floridarambler.com/flori...a-bike-trails/

The Old Cutler Trail and Key Biscayne rides look exotic and easy to access to me from Miami Airport. And if I want to do walking tours in South Beach, etc or hang out in Little Havana this should be easy to do from the airport district. The airport Sheraton is actually less expensive than the lowest price beach hotels and even though it doesn't have great reviews I assume a Marriott hotel is not going to be scary bad.

But as I originally stated I know nothing about Miami and if I am making a mistake and missing out on a much better option I am open to suggestions.
Old 12-10-21, 11:20 AM
Slasharoo

Bikes: Orbea Onyx, Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 850

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I love Hollywood Beach. Lots of good restaurants and lots of remodeled hotels...and the beach is beautiful. Side note, Le Tub has the best shrimp ever...
Old 12-12-21, 04:08 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/southeast...southeast.html
Old 12-12-21, 05:43 PM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
The Miami Dade Metro bus and rail system is extensive and bike friendly. The Tri Rail line runs up the coast to Palm Beach County and the elevated Metro rail will carry you to downtown Miami. Both come right into the MIA airport terminal. This is a way to get past not-so-friendly roads. I once made it from the airport to Marathon in the keys via buses for less than $3. Then I rode the bike to Key West over good shoulder lanes.
Likes For tommymc:
Old 12-12-21, 06:20 PM
kevmcd

Originally Posted by tommymc
The Miami Dade Metro bus and rail system is extensive and bike friendly. The Tri Rail line runs up the coast to Palm Beach County and the elevated Metro rail will carry you to downtown Miami. Both come right into the MIA airport terminal. This is a way to get past not-so-friendly roads. I once made it from the airport to Marathon in the keys via buses for less than $3. Then I rode the bike to Key West over good shoulder lanes.
Hollywood Beach and the Miami Airport both seem like good options for a reasonably priced base for my 3 days in Miami. I am leaning towards the airport area because of the tri-rail and metro rail and I think I may do a short ride in West Palm Beach on my way out and take Amtrak from there.
I plan to spend one of my days in Miami on a bus tour of the Keys and as you mention there are options to take my bike with me. I see Flix bus allows bikes as luggage.