Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have any friends like this?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Have any friends like this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 07:57 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pay attention people! OP has done everything for this jackwad- including trying to teach him to pace himself and climb properly. The guy DOESN'T LISTEN; IGNORES OP's ADVICE and just does his own thing. Such a person is unteachable, until and if such time as they figger[sic] out that THEIR way isn't workingt, and want to pursue the activity badly enough to actually listen to the advice of their friend who has a clue.
Old 04-25-13, 08:51 PM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Without going into too much detail, right now it's a heavy diet of 3' on-off intervals and 15" all-outs. 4 days of hard riding/3 days of recovery or off the bike. Sharpening the sword as we get into NorCal crit season.
Interesting. Good luck with it. I'll be watching for your results.
Old 04-25-13, 09:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
Interesting. Good luck with it. I'll be watching for your results.
I should have added that I spent the whole winter doing 2x20' and 1x60' intervals at what I thought was a ridiculously low wattage. Thought it was ridiculous until I was strong and fresh at the end of a race I'd gotten dropped from the previous season. Now I keep my mouth shut and do what I am told.
Old 04-25-13, 09:33 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's convo:

Him: DUDE...it is supposed to like 75 degrees today! I'm getting done with work asap today and riding. I really dont want to work today at all. Clear skies and all I can think about is that we should be riding!
Me: Well, I'm riding today no matter what, but I'm riding with matt and stefan around 2
Himh ok, well I'll still ride by myself. I'll prbably just ride down to the lake and back. should be about 15 miles and I'll work on my breathing, pacing myself and making sure my elbows are bent and not straight.
Me:Cool man, glad to hear you want to get back out! (Thinking to myself that he saids pretty stoked maybe this time will be different?)

5pm tonight:

Me:I dont know about you, but I had an amazing ride man. It was perfect weather and I felt great. could have ridden all day!
Him:Ah man, I'm glad you had a good ride. My day turned to crap when I got home. oh well, next week we are totally riding together though!

I completely understand that something bad could have really happened when he got home and it could have really not worked out for him to ride, but at this point its just one more excuse.

Here is ANOTHER thing that really blew my mind that I forgot to mention! A little history, we have been friends for a year now. I trained him for his sales position and we just hit it off. We have a lot in common and I do think of him as a good friend. BUT even though i consider him a good friend and we can talk about anything and everything, i still find him irritating like 50% of the time. with work and our friendship he needs his hand held and his back rubbed with everything. He needs to be told how good he is doing or else he starts to freak out that he is not performing and that people think he is doing a poor job. Same with cycling, if I'm not stroking his ego, he starts asking me things like, "so how am I doing!?" "I know I'm not fast at this point, but I'm doing alright right??".

Anyway, when we planned on riding earlier this week I told him, make sure you eat breakfast and lunch before we ride. Dont eat to close to us riding because it may make you sick. you want time for it to digest. be prepared when you come over. I want to leave right away and not dick around. He texts me on his way over and says.."Soooo...whats your food situation?" I'm like...WTF???? I text back and say, I'm not hungry if that's what you mean and I hope your not asking me if I can make you something because I told you to eat earlier! So he gets to my house and he is still dressed in basketball shorts and t shirt. Then proceeds to try and tell me about his day. I interrupt him and tell him to go get dressed and I'll put his front wheel on and check his tire pressures. I gave him a cliff bar to shut him up before our ride. He was putting his jersey on and the zipper broke. luckily I gave him a USPS jersey that one of my friends gave me but I didn't want it. We was putting it on and then he stopped and said, "hey can I borrow one of your other jerseys?" I was already irritated by this point so I said, "Are you F'ing high!?" I gave you this usps jersey and you said you loved it. No, you cant. put that one on!"

-Our horrible ride-

When we got back to my place I went upstairs to change and when i came downstairs he was standing in front of my fridge with the door open just looking through it!!!!!??? W.....T.....F!!!!********** He has only been to my house once before and he feels comfortable enough to just walk in and search my kitchen for food??? I didn't say anything, but I remember saying under my breath to myself..."was he just standing in front of my fridge looking for F'ing food!???"

I'm wondering if maybe this friendship should just remain with our phone calls and conversations during work.

Sorry Rant over....

Last edited by bianchi10; 04-25-13 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-25-13, 09:38 PM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you've come to the realization of what the eventual outcome needs to be.
Old 04-25-13, 10:03 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Seems like there are a few different things going on here... can't do much about flaky riding partners except find new riding partners.

As for riding with people who do not have the same abilities... gear down and work on your spin or gear up on climbs and work on your anaerobic power.

Riding with my wife and daughters is one of my greatest joys and the girls can usually keep up a good pace that puts them ahead of many adults and makes for enjoyable riding. My wife is recovering from pertussis (whooping cough) and is still getting back in shape so when we ride I am usually spinning a pretty low gear which gives me a good workout and keeps us together.
Old 04-25-13, 10:05 PM
yochris 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
why on earth would you waste your time with this dude? move on.
Old 04-25-13, 10:27 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never mix work & social (beyond a few drinks on Friday after work).

It never works out well.

And this guy just sounds like an all-around dou*** anyway.
Old 04-25-13, 10:48 PM
Alan Edwards

Bikes: 84' Ciocc, 79' Shogun 1000, 76' KHS Gran Sport, 96' Schwinn Super Sport,

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have patients and you seem to have tried to be a good friend. Let him find his own way with bicycling. If he can do it for himself he can do it with anyone. If he can't do it for himself he won't do it with anyone.
Old 04-25-13, 11:13 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah definitely never have him come over to your house again. If you must ride w/ him again, meet him somewhere.

Sheesh I would never do that at someone else's place unless they told me to feel free to get *beer/food/whatever* out of their fridge.
Old 04-25-13, 11:24 PM
Curlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
Today's convo:

Him: DUDE...it is supposed to like 75 degrees today! I'm getting done with work asap today and riding. I really dont want to work today at all. Clear skies and all I can think about is that we should be riding!
Me: Well, I'm riding today no matter what, but I'm riding with matt and stefan around 2
Himh ok, well I'll still ride by myself. I'll prbably just ride down to the lake and back. should be about 15 miles and I'll work on my breathing, pacing myself and making sure my elbows are bent and not straight.
Me:Cool man, glad to hear you want to get back out! (Thinking to myself that he saids pretty stoked maybe this time will be different?)

5pm tonight:

Me:I dont know about you, but I had an amazing ride man. It was perfect weather and I felt great. could have ridden all day!
Him:Ah man, I'm glad you had a good ride. My day turned to crap when I got home. oh well, next week we are totally riding together though!

I completely understand that something bad could have really happened when he got home and it could have really not worked out for him to ride, but at this point its just one more excuse.

Here is ANOTHER thing that really blew my mind that I forgot to mention! A little history, we have been friends for a year now. I trained him for his sales position and we just hit it off. We have a lot in common and I do think of him as a good friend. BUT even though i consider him a good friend and we can talk about anything and everything, i still find him irritating like 50% of the time. with work and our friendship he needs his hand held and his back rubbed with everything. He needs to be told how good he is doing or else he starts to freak out that he is not performing and that people think he is doing a poor job. Same with cycling, if I'm not stroking his ego, he starts asking me things like, "so how am I doing!?" "I know I'm not fast at this point, but I'm doing alright right??".

Anyway, when we planned on riding earlier this week I told him, make sure you eat breakfast and lunch before we ride. Dont eat to close to us riding because it may make you sick. you want time for it to digest. be prepared when you come over. I want to leave right away and not dick around. He texts me on his way over and says.."Soooo...whats your food situation?" I'm like...WTF???? I text back and say, I'm not hungry if that's what you mean and I hope your not asking me if I can make you something because I told you to eat earlier! So he gets to my house and he is still dressed in basketball shorts and t shirt. Then proceeds to try and tell me about his day. I interrupt him and tell him to go get dressed and I'll put his front wheel on and check his tire pressures. I gave him a cliff bar to shut him up before our ride. He was putting his jersey on and the zipper broke. luckily I gave him a USPS jersey that one of my friends gave me but I didn't want it. We was putting it on and then he stopped and said, "hey can I borrow one of your other jerseys?" I was already irritated by this point so I said, "Are you F'ing high!?" I gave you this usps jersey and you said you loved it. No, you cant. put that one on!"

-Our horrible ride-

When we got back to my place I went upstairs to change and when i came downstairs he was standing in front of my fridge with the door open just looking through it!!!!!??? W.....T.....F!!!!********** He has only been to my house once before and he feels comfortable enough to just walk in and search my kitchen for food??? I didn't say anything, but I remember saying under my breath to myself..."was he just standing in front of my fridge looking for F'ing food!???"

I'm wondering if maybe this friendship should just remain with our phone calls and conversations during work.

Sorry Rant over....
lol, you seem like a very good friend. very tolerant, patient, and generous. this guy is just blowing it
Old 04-25-13, 11:58 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today's convo:

5pm tonight:

-Our horrible ride-

Sorry Rant over....
I got about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through and wondered why you're still hanging out with him. If you're at the point that you're posting about his habits on the Internet I think you're past the point where you should take some time out from this friendship. Move on, the stress isn't good for either of you.
Old 04-26-13, 12:17 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going back to the topic...

I do, but I don't forget when I started, although when I got the bug I really put my time and effort in it. I'm an outdoor guy and was never into video games and such.

I tell my friend to get into a routine before riding: eat enough, stretch well, warm up. I think he's slowly getting it. My friend's a bit big for his height/weight so I really can't blame that he can't get up the hills like smaller guys would, but I can see him trying and that's all that matters to me.
Old 04-26-13, 12:28 AM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zatopek
I have no friends.
if I did, I guess I'd relax a little and just enjoy the ride with them.. but for people to go out buying expensive bikes thinking it will make them superman.... I'd say that's the root issue there. Biking is work.. if they weren't prepared for that they should have gotten a motorcycle instead.

I hear people mention the flakiness. Usually when I commit to something I do it, such as signing up to work overtime. Some people are this type where they sign up, and never work it, time and time again. Strange.

Me I enjoy jogging more than biking, just because the roads around here in rural eastern South Dakota suck and it's always windy mostly. Flat, treeless, windy, with shoulders full of gravel where pearocking roads is their passion. blah.
Old 04-26-13, 12:42 AM
iSamurai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey you made my day, just reading through all the interesting stories lol... I guess it's better to tell them personally about the issues than for them to find out about this thread later
Old 04-26-13, 02:15 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
I think finding new partners for riding would be a better solution
Old 04-26-13, 02:18 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
what if flakey friend gets a bf account and sees this thread?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-26-13, 05:18 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Today's convo:

5pm tonight:

-Our horrible ride-

Sorry Rant over....
So, if this is what you call a "good friend" I would hate to see what you call some one you don't like!
Old 04-26-13, 08:50 AM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's convo:

5pm tonight:

-Our horrible ride-

Sorry Rant over....
Holy crap! Why on earth would you be friends with this guy? This is not someone you befriend; this is someone you beat-up...or just avoid like the plague!

Refer him to the local chapter of Big Brothers....maybe they'll find him a daddy and he'll grow up to be a man one day. [What must his wife be like, to marry such a loser?]
Old 04-26-13, 08:54 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
what if flakey friend gets a bf account and sees this thread?
if only.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-26-13, 09:55 AM
ColtJ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like he's more interested in the image of being a cyclist and not actually cycling.

I have friends that could end up like what you've described but I know they're more interested in posting a bike on Instagram than riding everyday. So I just stay out of it, I don't offer advice nor try to deter them from cycling.

I just tell them where to go and give them an idea of what they're looking at in regards to spending/necessary gear and tell them if they get a bike and go for a few rides I'd be happy to meet them at 5am somewhere so they can join me.

no one bothered me after. I'd be happy to help someone with what little knowledge and experience I have but I started by putting in miles all alone and I hate to waste time and energy.

A few experienced cyclists have taken me under their wing and I don't think I can ever repay them and would love to give back to someone else but I also know my friends...

Good luck.
Old 04-26-13, 10:21 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
is this guy foreign?
Old 04-26-13, 10:26 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
This thread reeks of Axe Body Spray and Cool Ranch Doritos.
Old 04-26-13, 10:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
This thread reeks of Axe Body Spray and Cool Ranch Taco Bell Tacos Locos Doritos.
fify
Old 04-26-13, 10:42 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have a friend that I got into the sport last year. He bought a giant and then 2 months later thought it was crap so we worked out a deal with him buying my ridley and I upgraded to my Supersix, a win-win situation. Since then he has ridden a total of 3 times. Everytime I talk about riding he gets all excited and says,"bro we gotta ride together soon!" So we planned it this past weekend that we would ride together today. I didn't have high expectations since I knew he hadn't ridden much, so I told myself that this ride was for him, not me.

I told him before leaving my place to just pace himself and take it easy since he hasn't ridden much. Dont take off, control your breathing, don't blow your nutt on the first hill, get in a good warm up. We pull out of my drive way and onto the road which is an immediate slight hill. I look up and what is he doing? Out of the saddle and sprinting up this hill!? I yell at him to stop but he cant hear me. I didn't change my cadence and of course caught him shortly. I looked at him and said, "What are you doing!?" Of course he cant respond because he is COMPLETELY out of breath. I'm trying to get him to control his breathing but he wont listen to me. He died on every hill and mole hill. I didn't want to take off on him to far so i would just coast down hills while slightly pedaling. I would look back and he was usually stopped at the top of every hill, unclipped and slugging water. 3 miles into this ride and I was screaming out of frustration and yelling out load..."WTF!!!!********** COME ON!!!" Loud enough to release some frustration but he was so far away from me, he couldn't hear me. I know that I said I shouldn't expect much from him, but he was riding around 7mph for goodness sake!! I would hold back and ride along side trying to give some pointers but trying to not come across like a jerk. I noticed his bike was not set up right so I pulled him to the side and lowered his seatpost a bunch, leveled his saddle and bars. we got going again and that seemed to help a lot but he was still really tired and out of condition. I told him that you cant replace riding with anything else. if you want to get in good cycling condition, you simply have to ride. We made a total of 8 miles by the time we got back to my place and he looked like he just crossed the finish line to his first century ride! When we got back he told me that before me making the adjustments to his bike, he had mad eup his mind that he was gonna sell his bike because he just wan't having fun. After the adjustments he was so much more comfortable and was really able to push himself better without being in pain. He is 5'8" and 150lbs so I wasn't expecting him to suck like a fat kid eating cake lol.

My time to ride is very valuable to me because with 2 kids and a full time job, I have to get in my time when i can. He is a good friend of mine and i want him to get better and enjoy it (Especially since i got him into it) but I dont want to waste my ride time doing 7-10mph! Next time he asks me to ride, I'm gonna feel like telling him no, but I dont want to be rude.

How many of you got a friend into cycling but now dread it when they ask you to ride with them? Obviously we all have different priorities in life and cycling isn't everyones. Some people are fine just riding whenever they get the urge, while others make compromises to their daily life just to fit a ride into their schedule. But I find it can be PAINFUL to ride with someone who doesn't make any effort to condition themselves to be better/stronger.
Common. I see the same thing even in the intermediate ranks...cyclists just don't pace themselves. I have one friend that likes to play mind games a bit. Not sure if he does this deliberately or not. He seems to devise strategies to wear me out...lol. One technique he uses is called half-wheeling. He tends to ride half a bike in front of me a lot of the time. I find it amusing. I am a slightly stronger cyclist than him but its pretty close. So when getting close to home, our pace always picks up. During the ride if I get sick of getting half wheeled, I just ride behind him Into the house I can drop him if I try. But I grow a bit weary of that game really. He's a very good friend and good rider...just the way he is. Not sure why.

Basically it sucks to do things with others that you are good at if your partner isn't. If you are a good tennis player or golfer, it sucks to play with others that aren't. Same applies to cycling. But for perspective, strong racers can drop me too....though I can hang for a while generally. So I don't have any illusions about being a great cyclist either and I am sure that those better than me could find some fault with the way I ride...if nothing else...not fast enough...lol.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-26-13 at 10:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.