Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Motorcyclist hits cyclists.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 09:43 AM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaA...e_gdata_player
Old 04-29-13, 09:45 AM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IBTM.

Also, ow.
Old 04-29-13, 09:48 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
how did the motorcyclist not see the cyclists?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-29-13, 09:53 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy on the motorcycle is a genuine SQUID.
Old 04-29-13, 09:54 AM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
how did the motorcyclist not see the cyclists?
He saw em. Its a phenomenon called "target fixation" where you lock in to what you are trying to avoid. You have to look where you want to go.
Old 04-29-13, 10:00 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
It looks like he's coming wide out of the turn with the centrifugal force carrying him to the edge of the road where the cyclists are.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-29-13, 10:09 AM
Will Goes Boing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He target fixated on the cyclist, n00b move for sure. I use to ride canyons on my sport bike and felt bad for all the roadies because of how many idiot motorcyclists are out there riding over their heads.
Old 04-29-13, 10:44 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
The guy on the motorcycle is a genuine SQUID.
pretty much this
Old 04-29-13, 11:01 AM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
It looks like he's coming wide out of the turn with the centrifugal force carrying him to the edge of the road where the cyclists are.
When you come out of the turn like that on a motorcycle, you are leaning sideways almost to the point of touching the pavement with a knee. This guy is barely off vertical.
Old 04-29-13, 11:03 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Valid point. I didn't say he was a good motorcyclist.
Old 04-29-13, 11:04 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
When you come out of the turn like that on a motorcycle, you are leaning sideways almost to the point of touching the pavement with a knee. This guy is barely off vertical.
unless you stand the bike up under braking...maybe because you see some cyclists up ahead and are trying to avoid them. while staring at them.
Old 04-29-13, 11:07 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm surprised the cyclist even got up and walked after that impact. It looked pretty severe.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-29-13, 11:47 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Is that corner trickier than it looks?

(embedding videos is cooler )

Old 04-29-13, 12:01 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of that guy's YT channel is motorcycle crashes on Mulholland. Check some of it out and you'll be amazed at the stupidity. Lot's of people with more money than brains.
Old 04-29-13, 12:02 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Not to say this isn't real, but am I the only one who thinks it is strange to get such a perfect video of the accident? Was the motorcyclist being intentionally films for a reason? Kind of weird.
Old 04-29-13, 12:05 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Ooh, that Firefly is a very nice bike!
Old 04-29-13, 12:06 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I doubt he got 'fixated' on the cyclist and just drove into him. People use that argument in commuting to sometimes advocate against using bright rear blinkies or even bright clothing but there has been zero good evidence showing that happens in real life. I think it grew out of a bad analogy from insects veering toward lighted objects - we humans don't have that uncontrollable instinct, though.

Much more likely is the above - newb or not so good motorcyclist who didn't initiate the lean early enough and then found himself in a deadline in the wrong place at the wrong time. Heck, that happens on bicycles sometimes when you find yourself riding yourself off the road for no good reason at all.
Old 04-29-13, 12:07 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kv501
Most of that guy's YT channel is motorcycle crashes on Mulholland. Check some of it out and you'll be amazed at the stupidity. Lot's of people with more money than brains.
Would also add that Mulholland is a perfect setup for these kind of incidents. Lots and lots of motorcyclists, especially noobs, since the dense LA traffic downtown and in suburbs pushes even the noob motorcyclists out to the mountain roads like Mulholland. Add in the lots of twists and turns in some areas that really limit speed in those sections, and its no surprise that this guy can capture a lot of motorcycle incidents on that road.
Old 04-29-13, 12:30 PM
DerHoggz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
I doubt he got 'fixated' on the cyclist and just drove into him. People use that argument in commuting to sometimes advocate against using bright rear blinkies or even bright clothing but there has been zero good evidence showing that happens in real life. I think it grew out of a bad analogy from insects veering toward lighted objects - we humans don't have that uncontrollable instinct, though.

Much more likely is the above - newb or not so good motorcyclist who didn't initiate the lean early enough and then found himself in a deadline in the wrong place at the wrong time. Heck, that happens on bicycles sometimes when you find yourself riding yourself off the road for no good reason at all.
Object fixation does happen, you have to look "through" the corner. If you see towards the end there he brings the bike out of the turn way too early.
Old 04-29-13, 12:32 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Nachoman
I'm surprised the cyclist even got up and walked after that impact. It looked pretty severe.
Truly.
I think what saves the cyclist is that the motorcycle doesn't hit him as much as the motorcyclist hitting him.

The motorcyclist goes backward off the bike, absorbing some of the impact (i.e. extending the delta t over which the delta v occurs)
Old 04-29-13, 01:00 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Target fixation definitely happens. It's an instinct that kicks in when you don't have time to act consciously. When you're going through a turn and you find yourself going hotter than what you're used to, the standard instruction is to look "through the turn" and your body will instinctively steer the bike in the right direction. That makes use of the same target fixation but puts it to good use.

Watch the video in slow motion. He starts out leaning and with the head turned to look through the corner (0:14). At 0:16 he's more upright, looking more forward, and he's starting to drift towards the right edge. That's probably when he notices cyclists. At 0:19 he's all the way to the right, almost vertical, and staring directly into cyclists without any attempt to avoid them. At 0:20 he finally decides to brake, straightens up completely and slows a bit, but it's too late.
The whole sequence of events from the start of the drift to the collision takes something like 1.5 seconds, it all happens completely on reflexes.
Old 04-29-13, 01:04 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All this guy does is film motorcycles (and a small number of cars) on Mulholland Drive. Look at his YouTube account.

Just by default you're going to catch a bunch of accidents. I bet the cyclist's attorney will love that video.
Old 04-29-13, 01:08 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I should add that anyone who bikes on Mulholland (it's your choice; I don't care if you do it or not) has a death wish. Trust fund babies on sport bikes, mid-life crises in Porsches, and blind corners do not a safe cycling environment make.
Old 04-29-13, 01:10 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28635 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
(i.e. extending the delta t over which the delta v occurs)
wut
Old 04-29-13, 01:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Nuh uh. It happens and it's certainly problematic on a motorcycle, where direction can be controlled by very subtle movement (borderline instinctive - do you think about things like counter-steering on your bike?). In a car? I dunno, but I would guess that it's a much diminished problem, if it's one at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.